July Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gossip goes here.

P.S. - Kong Audio returns as a prize donor this month (and the two following).
No longer a moderator.

I'm out this month I'm afraid. Mixed timing isn't something I'm really into, but more to the point I've got a ton of 'stuff' to get on with in my free time :(
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Is it polyrhythm if I have a 3/4 arpeggio and a 4/4 arpeggio playing simultaneously? My understanding of the definition says that it is, but it seems too easy to be true :P

klawire wrote:Is it polyrhythm if I have a 3/4 arpeggio and a 4/4 arpeggio playing simultaneously? My understanding of the definition says that it is, but it seems too easy to be true :P
If the the bpm is the same for both the 3/4 & 4/4 arpeggios, then that would be polymeter.

If the measure duration is the same for the 3/4 & 4/4 arpeggios (e.g., the 3/4 arpeggio is being played at 90 bpm and the 4/4 at 120 bpm), that would be an example of polyrhythm.

Yasha wrote:
klawire wrote:Is it polyrhythm if I have a 3/4 arpeggio and a 4/4 arpeggio playing simultaneously? My understanding of the definition says that it is, but it seems too easy to be true :P
If the the bpm is the same for both the 3/4 & 4/4 arpeggios, then that would be polymeter.

If the measure duration is the same for the 3/4 & 4/4 arpeggios (e.g., the 3/4 arpeggio is being played at 90 bpm and the 4/4 at 120 bpm), that would be an example of polyrhythm.
Or they could both be 90bpm and the rhythm could be different. Both rhythms could be in 4/4 with the first being 4 crotchets to the bar; and the second leading with a quaver rest followed by two dotted crotchets followed by a quaver.

^I'm glad someone answered.

I just updated the submissions post to note that Uncle E of JRR Shop has added to our prize pool.
No longer a moderator.

'kinnell. That was 'kin fast :o
The characers on the page are still electron damp :scared:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

I'm in

Since I'm currently unemployed, I've had a bit of time to play with :=(

At first; I looked at the idea of "poly-rhythmic" as being a math problem and I went to work with 84 beats & divisions thereof. I was stewing over & over how to sequence the pieces of/ the sections of 84 beats . . . and getting absolutely nowhere.

I then trashed everything I had scribbled down and pulled out my ol' acoustic to start laying down some very simple ideas last night. I dunno - it was kinda fun how it came together this morning. Whether or not it's a strict definition of poly-rhythmic is up to you, fair listener. I hope you find it both pleasant and perhaps a little mysterious

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

My entry's in! (Incidentally, coinciding with the start of my summer vacation... :party:)!

RITORNO ALLE DOLOMITI
Phew! As if polyrhythm isn't tricky enough, I also spent quite some time working out the proper grammar for the title. (If I didn't quite succeed, apologies to all Italians.)

First: Just ambient noise, or the ultimate in polyrhythm? Cowbells! The real thing. On cows. Lots of'em, and NOT marching in step...

In comes a folksy tune in 12/8 that wants to "go straight" occasionally for two or three notes. From bar 9 to 24 it really does, playing only 1/8 and 1/16 notes on the beat. Meanwhile the bass carries on in 12/8 as before, so 8:12 polyrhythm ensues -- while the drummer joins in after a while trying to persuade you it's all just 4/4 rock'n'roll really!

The final half of the piece is "just" polymetric, of the slightly head-messing variety: a 7/16 piano ostinato over more traditional 4/4 symphonic prog-rock fare, re-synced every four bars by adding a 1/16 rest to the piano.
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

@pethu: I really dig the start to that song. I love the Uilleann Pipes with the chimes in the background. I know they are supposed to be cowbells, but my mind wants them to be chimes.

Great work, if the voting was right now, you would get my vote :)

Casting my vote for NineOfKings's submission.
I noticed voting is required for entrants, sooo I listened to all the entries (except for my own of course) and I think his entry is the best example of polyrhythm, especially since he has polyrhythm in multiple time signatures!
~~~~PLUR & may the EDM be with you~~~~

rules wrote:4 - Submitted by early a.m. (US Central Time) Tuesday, July 25th, 2014.
I am assuming that's Friday 25th, not Tuesday 22nd.
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

^You are assuming correctly. Fixed. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Another crowd-pleasing theme, I see.

I'm having a hard time getting my head around it myself. I'm not sure about the idea that will become my entry, but I'll get something done and hope there's some polyrhythm in it.
No longer a moderator.

There always seems to be a surge in entries in the last few days.
Mine is nearly ready, just a few tweaks left to do I think.

How about having an open/sticky thread for theme suggestions, so people could express an interest in advance? Might help with choosing popular themes?

Return to “Music Cafe”