Ganymede's Inertia - ElectroProg (Seismic Convection)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Frantz wrote:A relaxing piece. The guitar and bass are very well integrated with the synths. These instruments give it an organic feel. I am hoping to hear more guitar and bass in future pieces.

The composition is quite mellow. There is a unchanging, underlying part (except when muted at the midpoint) over which additional instruments are added. For me, this combination of mellowness and sameyness makes it work like background, ambient music. Not a bad thing but it tends to fly under my mental radar unless I intentionally focus on it.

The Vangelis-type synth that first appears at 1:39 has some harsh high frequencies at the peak of the filter envelope of every note. Listening at low volume helps minimize this.
Thanks very much for checking this out, Frantz. I wanted to make something a little more relaxing than my regular tracks, so maybe I have succeeded, to some degree :)

I think the guitar and bass worked fairly well (apart from my playing, which has been characterised as sloppy). I think those sounds work quite well in this format, but probably less so in my more uptempo pieces. I have got some ideas for more guitar parts in the future, but they involve varying degrees of processing, which means that the casual listener might not even recognise them as guitar, although I won't be able to fool you guys, and I doubt that "casual" people listen to my stuff anyway.

I hear what you're saying regarding the mellow, sameyness on here. I thought that it suited the style, and I guess I have been paying quite a lot of attention to ambient music over the last 18 months. I'm working on a couple of new pieces at the moment, one of them much livelier, and the other, a darker, ambient/cinematic piece.

I'm probably going to remix this one later in the year anyway. I always refer back to these KVR threads before starting so I'll bear your comments regarding that Phonec patch in mind.

D.H. Miltz wrote:I enjoyed this. I like the choir. Also when things drop away around 3:50. Good stuff. Thanks, seismic1.
Thanks very much for listening and for the comments, DHM. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Glad you didn't say 6:30 :wink:

a good listen here tim. it builds up very nicely and i liked the tone of the filtered vangelis like cs-80 lead. relax mode engaged :)
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Well I wasn't expecting that!

The money shot for me was the filter on that synth opening up and the ensuing reverb.

Very nicely done as usual sir. :)

layzer wrote:a good listen here tim. it builds up very nicely and i liked the tone of the filtered vangelis like cs-80 lead. relax mode engaged :)
Thanks for the listen and comments, layzer. Glad you liked it :)

Phonec is definitely worth checking out if you haven't done so already. I think there is a 25% off summer sale going on for the next month.

Very relaxing, interesting track -- I especially like the lead and chorus sounds coming in @ about 1:45.
Cool title, "Ganymed's Inertia" -- yep, I have Ganymed in my "arsenal" too, and I reckon one must overcome a lot of inertia to program it. Love many of its sounds, though. :)
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

I really like the harmonic relations in this one. The progress of the melody is unexpected, which I enjoy. The gated toms are cool too. The keys solo at about 3:46 is my favorite part.

I think the kick could be a bit beefier; it sounds like the mix has the spectral space for it.

Thanks for sharing.

This is my kind of music! Very mellow, smooth and well produced. The arrangements are good too, it keeps you in the mood without sounding too repetitive. It shows that you've put 28 hours of works in it. It's an original track isn't it?

tehlord wrote:Well I wasn't expecting that!

The money shot for me was the filter on that synth opening up and the ensuing reverb.

Very nicely done as usual sir. :)
Thanks very much for stopping by and checking this one out. Glad you liked it :)

That lead sound was a slightly modded Phonec preset. I took two outputs from it. One straight out to the master and the other via REFLEX Free.

...ah good ol' Ganymed!
I liked how the tune evolves. the different melody lines come up and disappear again. all tasteful put together! also a cool outro.

thanks for posting

wolf

Tim !
After a stressful and fulfilling day this is an excellent piece
to get down.
There are some "old" sounding synth sounds - remembers me of
"Monkey Island" :D
What a flashback of this awesome game ...
... but you combined those sounds with modern vibes.
Nicely done my friend !

(( D ))

Axis1~SL61 wrote:Very relaxing, interesting track -- I especially like the lead and chorus sounds coming in @ about 1:45.
Cool title, "Ganymed's Inertia" -- yep, I have Ganymed in my "arsenal" too, and I reckon one must overcome a lot of inertia to program it. Love many of its sounds, though. :)
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Axis1~SL61. Glad that the mellow vibe came across :)

Phonec on lead, Ultrasonique on choir.

Ganymed actually only plays a minor part on here. I slightly changed one of the fatory presets and used it to double the Lounge Lizard Rhodes part on most of the track, but excluding the minimal Rhodes parts.

Genetic_Junk wrote:I really like the harmonic relations in this one. The progress of the melody is unexpected, which I enjoy. The gated toms are cool too. The keys solo at about 3:46 is my favorite part.
That rhodes part came together fairly quickly towards the end of the recording. I realised I needed some sort of bridge and ending and this seemed to fit the bill.
Genetic_Junk wrote: I think the kick could be a bit beefier; it sounds like the mix has the spectral space for it.

Thanks for sharing.
You're right about the kick. That's on my todo list for later this year.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting G_J. Glad you liked it :)

SampleScience wrote:This is my kind of music! Very mellow, smooth and well produced. The arrangements are good too, it keeps you in the mood without sounding too repetitive. It shows that you've put 28 hours of works in it.
Thanks very much for the listen and the comments, SampleScience. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
SampleScience wrote: It's an original track isn't it?
I hope so :) I can't think of anything in my (rather large) music collection that has directly influenced this primarily in terms of melody, but stranger things have happened.

One morning, over 5 years ago I woke up about 5AM having had the idea whilst asleep to "fuse" two tracks together. Both of these tracks had been giving me problems. I fired up the DAW and they dovetailed perfectly. I guess parts of the brain never entirely shut down during sleep. At the time I was really freaked out by this.

Oh boy I enjoyed this immensely.

Those snares early on in the piece :love:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Music Cafe”