Fragile Gods - "Before The Stars Collide" (new Aug 31 version)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hell yes! This is now wicked imo, good on ya for sticking with it, and the re-work is :tu:
Image Image

i like it! althought i would preffer if some "unvocoded" parts remained. ie; a mix of your telephone style vox with this new vocoded vocal style. great, well produced tune regardless :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

polyslax wrote:Hell yes! This is now wicked imo, good on ya for sticking with it, and the re-work is :tu:
Thanks for giving this another listen. I'm pleased you liked the vocoder rework. I definitely needed some kind of technical trickery to get the vocals in tune. I figured vocoding would sound more interesting than autotune which is everywhere nowadays.

Sorry for not commenting earlier. I heard the new version about an hour after you posted it, but wasn't able to listen to it at a decent volume until tonight.

I think this version works better as a song with the vocoder. The song as a whole has a much lighter vibe than your earlier pieces, and the melody forms a critical part of the atmosphere. Having the vocals sitting in tune with the other instruments on this song is a no-brainer for me. I think you've done a great job here, and have managed to do the song justice. The vocoder has given this track a strong '80s Kraftwerk/DM sound and feel, which may not have been what you were originally after, but seems to be a natural place for it to be.

Other tracks, such as Vanishing Point, have a darker, more sinister feel, and work better with your traditional vocal delivery.

You have added another string to your bow with this track. Well done :tu:

Sorry for not commenting earlier. I heard the new version about an hour after you posted it, but wasn't able to listen to it at a decent volume until tonight.

I think this version works better as a song with the vocoder. The song as a whole has a much lighter vibe than your earlier pieces, and the melody forms a critical part of the atmosphere. Having the vocals sitting in tune with the other instruments on this song is a no-brainer for me. I think you've done a great job here, and have managed to do the song justice. The vocoder has given this track a strong '80s Kraftwerk/DM sound and feel, which may not have been what you were originally after, but seems to be a natural place for it to be.

Other tracks, such as Vanishing Point, have a darker, more sinister feel, and work better with your traditional vocal delivery.

You have added another string to your bow with this track. Well done :tu:

layzer wrote:i like it! althought i would preffer if some "unvocoded" parts remained. ie; a mix of your telephone style vox with this new vocoded vocal style. great, well produced tune regardless :tu:
Thanks for weighing in on this version. You seem to be one of the select few who appreciates my vocal growling. :) I did briefly attempt to mix my vox with the vocoder but decided it sounded better with just the vocoder.

Don't worry, the telephone vox will return. The moment I finished this one, I had a rush of new lyrical ideas. I just have to make sure the vocal lines on the next one are simple enough that I can pull them off.

The vocoder works really well here. Sounds like a robot that feels. Like it just realized it can never be a human, or something. Nice work.
FKA rockstarfx

seismic1 wrote: I think this version works better as a song with the vocoder. The song as a whole has a much lighter vibe than your earlier pieces, and the melody forms a critical part of the atmosphere. Having the vocals sitting in tune with the other instruments on this song is a no-brainer for me. I think you've done a great job here, and have managed to do the song justice.
I think your feedback on the first version was on the money. The vocoder seemed to be a good way to address the shortcomings of that version. Glad to hear that this was a successful rework. It was touch and go for a while. :phew:
seismic1 wrote: The vocoder has given this track a strong '80s Kraftwerk/DM sound and feel, which may not have been what you were originally after, but seems to be a natural place for it to be.
Peter Baumann's obscure solo album "Trans-Harmonic Nights" has vocoded vocals but doesn't really resemble this. I'm happy to be compared to Kraftwerk/DM too.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

Maybe it's just me, but something about the vocoder doesn't sit right with me. Perhaps the carrier seems too scattered sounding and needs to be a less detuned, more focused sound. It seems to lose the emotion of the vocals. I suppose some compromise is necessary, but I'm not sure in which direction. The atmosphere of the track in general is really immersive, though, as usual.

Lovely! Everything sits nicely, I can't help but feel that the vocals would be... eh... more audible if there was a bit of the dry mixed in with the vocoder. Or is that blasphemy? :phones:

Listened on Beyer DT990s... so very good...

All the synths are perfect in this song, more!

Nicely done. I didn't mind the original vocals, but the new ones sound like they belong there (though for me the lyrics become pretty much indecipherable).
No longer a moderator.

Johnny Cave wrote:The vocoder works really well here. Sounds like a robot that feels. Like it just realized it can never be a human, or something. Nice work.
I used Mellotron choir patches for the vocoder which I think helped give it that quality you are referring to. Good description of the sound. Thanks for the feedback.

nineofkings wrote:Maybe it's just me, but something about the vocoder doesn't sit right with me. Perhaps the carrier seems too scattered sounding and needs to be a less detuned, more focused sound. It seems to lose the emotion of the vocals. I suppose some compromise is necessary, but I'm not sure in which direction. The atmosphere of the track in general is really immersive, though, as usual.
I got into trouble adding vocals to an instrumental written 10 years ago instead of writing new music with my vocal limitations in mind. As mentioned above, a Mellotron choir is the vocoder carrier. There is a fair amount of "cathedral" reverb so it does have a diffuse sound. So yes, it's a compromise that's not going to be to everyone's taste but I thought it worked OK.

Codestation wrote:Lovely! Everything sits nicely, I can't help but feel that the vocals would be... eh... more audible if there was a bit of the dry mixed in with the vocoder. Or is that blasphemy? :phones:
Yes, mixing the dry vocals with the vocoder would sound great -- if I could carry a tune. :clown:
Codestation wrote:All the synths are perfect in this song, more!
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, there will be more!

Nice sounds here. I liked the "synth-y" vocals. It does take you back in time a bit!

Return to “Music Cafe”