February Contest: Voting

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vote for your Top 10 favorite compositions, in order (most-favorite = #1, proceed downward).

Voting ends on early a.m. (US Central Time), Sunday, March 1.

No voting for yourself. Voters must have had 20 prior posts, or at least have participated in the contest this month.

Once you place your vote, you cannot change it, unless permission has been granted by the moderator.

In the case of equal scores after voting, entries will be separated by how many 10 pts (i.e., how many #1 votes) they got, then 9 pts and so on. (Thanks to OSC for this rule.)

You must participate in voting to win prizes!

A useful link (but please note the caution at the bottom of the page) :
http://kvrcontest.farlukar.cz.cc/

Thanks and good luck.
No longer a moderator.

First I will comment on two more tracks that are not on Soundcloud. All the others look up your comments on the Cloud.

peppy197 - KooKoo's Lament: Strange adventures of a one-legged Scotsman in the jungle? I am not sure what animal is causing all the atmospheric noise.

Zombie Queen - The Flight of Nyan Bat: This charming 7.5-bit track seems to come straight from an old video game. I don't hear bats. This could be anything. The animation is good though.

Here are my votes:

#01 kryptonaut - King Ra
#02 Doc Jon - Candiru
#03 davidstiles - First Flight of the Albatross
#04 ballacr75 - Kemical Bonobo Jungle
#05 Laguna Rising - Quetzalcoatl
#06 mvrasseli - Wolf Serenade
#07 HolyRebuked - Diamondback
#08 wormfingers - The Majesty Of The Intangible Snake
#09 M'Snah - Bats
#10 beanpole - King Of The Jungle

And honourable mentions to the other tracks. It was a close race.

The votes from the Dutch jury

It's always hard to judge and compare the different styles. I'm impressed by the quality of the different songs, but I do have a preference for melodic songs with a (clear) structure and/or vocals.

#01 HolyRebuked - Diamondback
#02 DavidStiles - First Flight of the Albatross
#03 Doc Jon - Candiru
#04 Beanpole - King of the Jungle
#05 Kryptonaut - King Rat
#06 Mvrasselli - Wolf Serenade
#07 Ruedi Rena - Jellies
#08 Wormfingers - The Majesty of the Intangible Snake
#09 Shang Sean - Black Dragon
#10 Peppy197 - kooKoos Lament

Honorable mentions for the others.

It was great to hear what everybody could come up with for this theme. Ranking was harder than I thought it would be.
I really enjoyed listening to these tracks, congratulations to all!

1. DavidStiles - First Flight of the Albatross
2. Kryptonaut - King Rat
3. Forw - Whale
4. Mvrasselli - Wolf Serenade
5. Zomvie Queen - The Flight of Nyan Bat
6. Shang Sean - Black Dragon
7. Doc Jon - Candiru
8. Ruedi Rena - Jellies
9. Peppy197 - kooKoos Lament
10. HolyRebuked - Diamondback

1. forw - Whale
Captivating and evocative, haunting and beautiful

2. Wormfingers - The Majesty of the Intangible Snake
Nice combination of reversed sounds, fluttering percussion, and menacing bass.

3. DocJon - Candiru
Like the quirky time-sig. Catchy chorus, well put together

4. shangsean - Black Dragon
Epic sounds, rising tension, slightly odd mix of choral and throat-singing at the end

5. mvrasseli - Wolf Serenade
Very nice piano and guitar, the synth is a bit overpowering in places I think

6. davidstiles - First Flight of the Albatross
Evocative, tells a story - fortunately a happy ending, for the albatross at least

7. RuediRena - Jellies (Continue Spawning)
Enjoyed the quirky sound and lyrics!

8. LagunaRising - Quetzalcoatl
Very LagunaRising, with the various elements entering and building to a nice prog-rock crescendo

9. beanpole - King Of The Jungle
Another classic beanpole song!

10.M'Snah - Bats
Some interesting sounds but could have been developed a bit more

HMs - in no particular order

ballacr75 - KBJ Kemical Bonobo Jungle
Seems a bit like two tracks superimposed, the experimental echo noises and the dance sounds. Both interesting individually, not convinced they fit together so well

HolyRebuked - Diamondback
Slightly odd transition between wubwub and plucked sections. Could use some development.

Peppy197 - kooKoos Lament
Many competing elements, needed something to make them gel together better.

ZombieQueen - Nyan Bat
Lots going on, nice chippy noises, but I couldn't really get into it.

FIRSTLY,
I would like to say that I appreciate all of the constructive criticism on mine. I also noticed there are a LOT of really talented musicians that entered the contest this month. Congratulations to all of you and thank you for giving us the gift of your music!

Here are my votes for this month:

#1 Laguna Rising - Quetzcotal I really did enjoy this one. It felt as if I was flying next to it. It had great dynamics and was very fluid. I particularly enjoyed the electric guitar type voice in the mid portion of the track. I felt it created a sense of immensity which, in my opinion, was essential to the composition.

#2 Kryptonaut - King Rat This track did indeed make me feel surrounded by rats, which I am based on the fact you provided with the entry. I'm not sure how I feel about the discordant feel a ways into the song, however, it did add to the feeling of a big king rat walking among its brethren.

#3 Davis Stiles- First Flight of the Albatross (A.K.A Albatross VS Tiger Shark) I loved the classical feeling of this song. It put me in mind of floating on the sea. It felt, as with the above, like I was seeing the albatross in action (without even watching the video)

4# Shangsean - Black Dragon I enjoyed this track, however, I disliked some of the harmonies. The bass in the mid portion of the track did indeed make up for my dislike of the initial harmonies. They added to the feeling of immensity and did bring a huge black dragon to mind.

If I could make a two way tie vote between Bats and Nyan Bat, I would have. Alas, I'm sure the mod would either kill me or disqualify my vote. Sometimes you just have to look past a track in a style (like 8 bit) that you aren't particularly fond of to make a judgement based purely on the composition (music 101, folks).

#5 Zombie Queen - Nyan Bat While I am not particularly fond of 8-bit (Yeah I know, I love EDM, just not 8 bit. I'm an 8 bit h8r.) I did very very much enjoy this composition. It really did feel like a Nyan Bat was flying through the internet, roosting for a few seconds, and then departing to look for better, more interesting ground. It could use some work as some of the voices do tend to clash, however which is why I didn't rank it higher. It had feels. The 8 Bit texture lended itself quite nicely to the concept, and while a little rough around the edges the texture made up for the roughness. The interwebs is a rough place, therefore, the bat should be as well.

#6 M'Snah - Bats While I am not particularly fond of the style, I felt this one portrayed bats in ther nocturnal activities quite well, just not as well as the 8 Bit suggestion of a bat flying through the interwebs. Very well put together composition. I particularly enjoyed the voices and quite a few of thee expressions.

#7 Forw - Whale I think that this track conveyed the feeling of a whale well. It felt kind of wistful, in spite of clashing a tad in places. Gave the impression of immensity well.

#8 Don Jon - Candiru This one made me laugh. Funny and informative. It did capture the spirit of the animal, in a way. I think that it could have been better and you probably won't be winning a grammy for it, though.

#9 Wormfingers - The Majesty of the Intangible Snake I understand the composition, I just did not feel it captured it as well as it could have. It left me wondering if the animal the track is named for really was the animal that was being portrayed in the composition itself and not just a name given to a track so you could enter the contest. It just didn't feel like it was slithering, forked tongue darting out to smell-taste the air, and sunning itself or slithering off. It felt a bit like the snake had already died, or, like the snake was so cold it had decided to hibernate. I enjoyed it, I just didn't feel it captured the animal.

#10 RuediRena - Jellies I thought that it could have been a bit more wistful and lazy, like jellies floating in a warm current, mantles opening and closing. It did not quite convey the animal to me which is why I did not rank it higher. Still, it was a great effort and did, however briefly, convey a sea jelly to me. Just a button jelly, not a box jelly.

:tu: Good work on the composition everybody!
~~~~PLUR & may the EDM be with you~~~~

My votes:
01 Kryptonaut, King Rat
02 Laguna Rising, Quetzcotal
03 forw, Whale
04 Peppy197, kooKoos Lament
05 ballacr75, Kemical Bonobo Jungle
06 Doc Jon, Candiru
07 Shangsean, Black Dragon
08 David Stiles, First Flight of the Albatross
09 Wormfingers, The Majesty of the Intangible Snake
10 Ruedi Rena, Jellies

My votes:
01_DocJon_Candiru
02_mvrasseli_wolfserenade
03_forw_whale
04_Wormfingers_TheMajestyoftheIntangibleSnake
05_MSnah_Bats
06_Peppy197_kooKoosLament
07_RuediRena_Jellies
08_davidstiles_FirstFlightoftheAlbatross
09_shangsean_BlackDragon
10_kryptonaut_KingRat
--< Good luck all >--

01 - Zombie Queen - The Flight of Nyan Bat
Isn't it ironic... don't you think ?!
02 - RuediRena - Jellies (Continue Spawning)
Love the vocal melody. Expressive singing. Superb.
03 - mvrasseli - wolf serenade
Melancholic/sad/romantic feel well channeled. Class A+ production
04 - HolyRebuked - Diamondback
Wicked ways. Flashy. It entered my mind from unknown backdoor.
05 - shangsean - Black Dragon
Great. It gave us the idea... impressive build-up
06 - davidstiles - First Flight of the Albatross
Cool arrangement and dynamics. Great composition. Cinematic.
07 - forw - whale
Astounding atmosphere. It paints a picture in vivid colours
08 - kryptonaut - King Rat
This is really "rattish"... translate well the idea of those creatures running around, great song + production
09 - Peppy197 - koo Koos Lament
Love the experimental approach and uncommon strut
10 - DocJon - Candiru
Very funny. I enjoyed it.

HMs :

01 Wormfingers - The Majesty of the Intangible Snake
Not bad. strong suspended vibe and dense atmosphere
03 ballacr75 - KBJ Kemical Bonobo Jungle
Electronics-based virtual jungle
09 beanpole - King Of The Jungle
Beanpolesque ! You can't go wrong with a pop song
11 MSnah - Bats
The rhythm is king. Even in Bats'world

1 zombie queen
2 shangsean
3 doc jon
4 david stiles
5 kryptonaut
6 ruedi rena
7 holy rebuked
8 laguna rising
9 beanpole
10 wormfingers

HM to everyone!

Hi folks, wasn't very active lately and missed it by an inch, wasn't satisfied with my entry and decided to skip this time. Here are my votes, hopefully I haven't messed:

1. Shangsean | Black Dragon
commentary: captivating atmosphere, sounds, uf, has it all! overall excellent work Shangsean!

2. mvrasseli | Wolf Serenade
commentary: poetical and peaceful, excellent acoustics and melody! If I had to change something, it would be a little warmer lead synth sound, but overall very good song. Lost by 1 dB from Black Dragon.

3. wormfingers | The-majesty-of-the-intangible-snake
commentary: intro was great, marvelous, excellent melody!

4. Doc Jon | Candiru
commentary: for the courage :)

5. davidstiles | First Flight of the Albatross (a.k.a. Albatross v Tiger Shark)
commentary: can't fail with classic arrangement :)

6. forw | WHALE
commentary: very nice and peaceful track, gets more interesting towards the ending :)

7. beanpole | King Of The Jungle
commentary: reminds me of something... oh wait, it reminds me of beanpole, anyone heard of him? :)

8. Zombie Queen | The Flight of Nyan Bat
commentary: wow, excellent track zQueen!

9. RuediRena | Jellies
commentary: kudos to the nice voice, tune for some animated movie :)

10. M'Snah | Bats
commentary: got me hooked from the start.

HMs:

11. HolyRebuked | Diamondback
commentary: great melodic track

12. ballacr75 | kemical bonobo jungle
commentary: this track shows some great artistry with synths and Reason, HM place does not truly reflect the author's real talent though! Kudos.

13. Laguna Rising | Quetzalcoatl
commentary: some nice moments there, but... overall I was missing something :(

14. peppy197 | KooKoo's Lament
commentary: start very similarly as Wolf Serenade, but gets into different direction. Not bad, not bad at all! Some very nice real animal sounds.

15. kryptonaut | King Rat
commentary: total power!

PS
Congrats to all!

1) Laguna Rising - Quetzalcotal
Some really interesting sound textures and melodies, top track for me this month due to its awesomely authentic prog rock final section!

2) davidstiles - First Flight of the Albatross
Accomplished and effective orchestral track which helped it stand out from the rest this month

3) shangsean - Black Dragon
Great combination of authentic traditional instruments, granular synthesis fx and singing monks, what's not to like?

4) kryptonaut - King Rat
Infectious as the plague, great driving rhythm, totally bubonic man!

5) Wormfingers - The Majesty of the Intangible Snake
Deceptively simple but highly effective ambient piece which really fitted the title well

6) ballacr75 - KBJ Kemical Bonobo Jungle
Another deceptively simple track but I was impressed by how inventive you have been with the percussion, fx and dubstyle echoes, definitely got the kemical vibe

7) RuediRena - Jellies
A highly original track, great laid back lounge grooves and great to hear your voice!

8 ) Zombie Queen - The Flight of Nyan Bat
I'm not normally a fan of chiptune but this was delightfully catchy and suited the accompanying graphics perfectly

9) forw - Whale
Very atmospheric and suitably whale-like

10) mvrasseli - Wolf Serenade
Beautifully expressive guitar playing, nice piano. I didn't think the brass patch you chose went particularly well, I think a less bright Vangelis style brass sound would have been great

HMs
peppy197 - interesting and creative use of animal noises and fx
beanpole - nice catchy song
HolyRebuked - loved the more gentle intro and middle eight sections, not so keen on the wobbly bass bits
M'snah - nice retro style track, good mix, I didn't really get the bats theme (apart from the vocal word)

Well done everyone!

Jon

Doc Jon
kryptonaut
davidstiles
HolyRebuked
wormfingers
mvrasseli
Laguna Rising
M'Snah
ballacr75
forw
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

1. Doc Jon
2. Forw
3. Wormfingers
4. Kryptonaut
5. Davidstiles
6. mvrasseli
7. Laguna Rising
8. RuediRena
9. Ballacr75
10. Zombie Queen

Great month, everyone! There were more than ten excellent tracks this time, so it was really hard to decide on a top ten list. But here we go:

1) Shangsean - Black Dragon - Great Medieval vibe to this track, with a terrific buildup to the arrival of the dragon. Nicely done.

2) Doc Jon - Candiru - Just a great song. Top notch production values, and hilarious as well. And, uh... disturbing, too.

3) forw - Whale - Haunting and pretty, simple but really effective nonetheless.

4) Wormfingers - The Majesty of the Intangible Snake - Cool atmospheric piece, and I love the percussive accents.

5) mvrasseli - Wolf Serenade - I didn't mind the recording quality of the guitar at all. Great work.

6) RuediRena - Jellies (Continue Spawning) - Fun and upbeat!

7) kryptonaut - King Rat - Great intensity, enjoyable lyrics.

8) beanpole - King of the Jungle - Nice mixture of synth sounds with your guitar - I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

9) ballacr75 - kbj kemical bonobo jungle - Neat track. It made me imagine some kind of weird bonobo nightclub.

10) Laguna Rising - Quetzalcoatl - Lots of interesting things going on here, and nice integration of what sounded like it could very well be a traditional Mesoamerican sound along with the guitars.

A big HM to the rest, which I also enjoyed very much.

Return to “Music Cafe”