Speak my Name Again: All of my vintage hardware synths together...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

This is my first new track in over six months :?

Recently I've bought several new hardware synths, and never used them (except one) in a track. This track makes use of all of them: Roland D550, Roland JD990, Akai CD3000XL, Yamaha DX7II, Emu Emulator II and Arturia Minibrute. I'll leave you to work out which track is done with which instrument...

It is also the first track that I've recorded in Ableton Live for about three years. This turned out to be a bit of a mistake; Live is not great with hardware, and I'll be using Logic in future for projects like this.

Please let me know what you think :)

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-b-1/speak-my-name-again

D.
Last edited by daniel_baum on Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

It's difficult to believe that that some of these synths are almost 30 years old. Where does the time go? You must be building quite an impressive collection of hardware now.

This is a very pleasant, relaxing track, with some parts/sounds that remind me of DM, and the "vocal" patches are very sweet. I really enjoyed this at 2AM. It sounds even better with 2 functional ears (long story) :)

Good work :)

Watch this space, because this evening I am going to upload a much more developed version of this track...

D.

nice one. i got a doot patch on one of my hardware synths, cant remeber which, but you madegood use of it.
i'll never get rid of my old 90's romplers simply because i like to sprinkle my songs that use modern, vsti
sounds with their sounds. i think the weak point on the track are the drums. they sound a bit like
the drumkit on the microsoft wavetable synth built into windows. thin, mono and compressed. but yeah, the romplers and the DX7 II
sweet.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Hi all,

Here is a new, much more developed version.

The full equipment list is now Yamaha DX7II, Roland JD990, Roland D550, Akai CD3000XL, Emu Emulator II and Arturia Minibrute.

Yamaha DX7II, Roland JD990, Roland D550, Akai CD3000XL, Emu Emulator II and Arturia Minibrute.

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-b-1/speak-my-name-again

D.

Umpbay...

D.

If my memory is working, it seems like you have polished up the arrangement on here. Some of the transitions sound better planned, and add more variation to the track. What are you using the Minibrute for here? Is it playing the bass?

Good work :)

The Minibrute is only used for a couple of filter sweeps. I find I often use it for incidental sounds and effects.

The bass, believe it or not, is the Roland JD990. Both it and the D550 can produce huge bass sounds.

Most of the leads are the DX7, but the breathy lead sound is the D550.

Some of the drums are the Akai CD3000XL, which also does the doot doot sound, while more drums are provided by the JD990 and the Ableton Live library.

The pads are the JD990, and the extra choir sound is the Emulator II.

D.

Ah the DX7. I remember when my brother bought his, a great synth and amazing at the time it came out. :)
Not used LIve myself. I have tried many recording methods over the years (including TASCAM 4 track Cassette) but haven't looked back since I bought Logic.
Enjoying this track Daniel. Nice snappy beat and vibe. Well done... :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

seismic1 wrote:It's difficult to believe that that some of these synths are almost 30 years old. Where does the time go? You must be building quite an impressive collection of hardware now.
If one is really interested in going that route this seems like a fairly good time to do it, especially if you can find the synths locally given that shipping can be relatively expensive for some of the heavier keyboards. I still have my old DX-7 and recently saw a plain one in apparently good working condition sell for under $175. Of course one has to have space for these toys and considering how high rents have gone it's probably not a good option for everyone at the moment.

This is a fun one with lots of 80s signature sounds. It's making me nostalgic. Nice mix. Great job. :tu:

I have a JD-800 somewhere in the attic. Too bad some of the buttons don't work.

Thanks everyone :)

D.

Return to “Music Cafe”