September Contest: Voting

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vote for your Top 10 favorite compositions, in order (most-favorite = #1, proceed downward).

Voting ends on early a.m. (US Central Time), Thursday, October 1.

No voting for yourself. Voters must have had 20 prior posts, or at least have participated in the contest this month.

Once you place your vote, you cannot change it, unless permission has been granted by the moderator.

In the case of equal scores after voting, entries will be separated by how many 10 pts (i.e., how many #1 votes) they got, then 9 pts and so on. (Thanks to OSC for this rule.)

You must participate in voting to win prizes!

A useful link (but please note the caution at the bottom of the page) :
http://farlukar.x10.mx/kvrcontest/

Thanks and good luck.
No longer a moderator.

1. Bzur - Rain
Grandiose without going over the top. Atmosphere with a beat.

2. davidstiles - Autumn Dusk in the Forest
Ambitious musical ideas perfectly executed. Even solo instruments sound genuinely expressive and convincing.

3. Wopelka - Chanson d'Automne
Love the dry strings. Successful use of synthetic choir.

4. Beanpole - Summer's Gone
Nice touch wth the banjo (?) following each phrase in the verse. More vocal harmonies / backing vocals would be great. Not sure whether the slightly out of tune guitar is a plus or a minus (or a figment of my imagination).

5. Laguna Rising - Leaves' Afterlife
File under unclassifiable, which is usually a plus in my book.

6. Daniel Pompougnac - Comment est l'automn, ailleurs?
Ambitiously impressionistic. The real instruments really shine.

7. Nickel Smith - Black Tail River Anthem
Good choice of fairly minimalist instrumentation to achieve the desired effect. Somehow it feels warmer than autumn for me (being used to icy winds expressed by high-pitched staccato strings), but this piece definitely conveys an atmosphere, which is no mean feat.

8. Mister Natural - Chill in the Air
A plus for the will to experiment with unconventional instrumentation and an overall non-generic effort.

9. Folderol - Autumn Mist
Endearing homely sounds fit the simplicity of the music well.

10. ClaRago - Marshland
Good balance between elements.

11. Interferon - Autumn Falls
This definitely conveys the melancholy that is traditinally associated with autumn.

01 - davidstyles
02 - folderol
03 - Nickel Smith
04 - bzur
05 - Daniel Pompougnac
06 - Laguna Rising
07 - ClaRago
08 - Wopelka
09 - Mister Natural
10 - beanpole

The sorting out was a really tough task (as always, you might say). The only certitude I had from the beginning was the identity of the top four entries of my chart.

01 - David Stiles . Autumn Dusk in the Forest
02 - Daniel Pompougnac - Comment est l'automne, ailleurs?
03 - Bzur - Rain
04 - Nickel Smith - Black Tail River Anthem
05 - ClaRago - Marshland
06 - Beanpole - Summer's Gone
07 - Folderol - Autumn Mist
08 - Laguna Rising - Leaves'Afterlife
09 - Mr Natural - Chill in the Air
10 - Skipscada - Les 10 crus du Beaujolais

I'd best put these up now before I decide to re-arrange them... again!

1.) bzur Rain
2.) ClaRago Marshland
3.) davidstiles Autumn Dusk in the Forest
4.) danielpompougnac comment est l'automne ailleurs
5.) Nickel-Smith Black Tail River Anthem
6.) Mr Natural Chill in the Air
7.) Wopelka Chansond Automne
8.) beanpole Summer's Gone
9.) interferon Autumn Falls
10.) LagunaRising Leaves After life

Next time?
Skipscada Les 10 crus de Beaujolais
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

skipscada
bzur
Laguna Rising
Wopelka
ClaRago
davidstiles
Daniel Pompougnac
folderol
Nickel Smith
Interferon
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

1 Wolpeka
2 David Styles
3 Folderol
4 Clarago
5 bzur
6 Daniel Pompougnac
7 beanpole
8 Interferon
9 Laguna Rising
10 skipscada

Very enjoyable tracks all around. Here's my top ten:

1) Bzur - Rain - Kind of an urban take on a theme that most of us took in a more rural manner. Nice integration of synth sounds and rain recordings.

2) Wopelka - Chanson d'Automne - Good balance between traditional and synthetic sounds, generally upbeat but with just the right tinge of melancholy.

3) Nickel Smith - Black Tail River Anthem - I love the composition work here, but it was slightly marred for me by the brass timbre, which somehow seemed a bit off at times.

4) skipscada - Les 10 Crus de Beaujolais - This made me smile. I thought you did a good job of matching the emotional shifts of the speaker in the music.

5) Daniel Pompougnac - Comment est l'automne, ailleurs - Great integration of live performance with complementary synth sounds (and birds). I especially like the more intense passage around the 1:30 mark.

6) Clarago - Marshland - This felt a lot to me like the soundtrack to a nature documentary, so you definitely succeeded in conveying the image that you were going for. I particularly liked the tuned percussion element.

7) Mister Natural - Chill in the Air - This track reminded me of the soundtrack to a simulation game (like SimCity)... very relaxing, but with just a hint of threat when the more ominous sound starts to pop up about halfway through.

8) Beanpole - Summer's Gone - A pleasant listen. I liked the arrangement in the second verse more than the one in the first verse.

9) Interferon - Autumn Falls - I like the composition work quite a lot, but the way the sounds are mixed struck me as a bit too intense for my taste.

10) folderol - Autumn Mist - Nicely composed, especially with the choral elements, but the synthetic winds popped out of the mix a bit aggressively for me at times.

HM) Laguna Rising - Leaves' Afterlife - An intriguing and evocative track, but I personally had some trouble connecting it to the theme.

1 Daniel Pompougnac - There's Daniel's piano that I love. Feeling of wind blowing change through the air. Lovely guitar work - nice construction with the repeating theme(s)
2 bzur - beautiful soundscape (as usual). Wonderful timbres with the instruments. Great movement from one section to the next...and then the rain abruptly stops
3 ClaRago - Very lively picture of the marsh. Love the piano motif here with amazing tension underneath the whole thing
4 David Stiles - Aural movie as filmed by Ford-Coppala. Huge piano and I love the articulation of each of the wind instruments. Very authentic sounding. Not crazy about all the percussion and their crescendo in the middle
5 Nickel Smith - The words in your submission are such a beautiful description of fall, very poetic. "Quiet and Majestic" fit the piece so perfectly. Well done
6 Interferon - love the resonant viola sitting in a beautiful, lonely room. then it's joined by a dancing key line in it's melancholy
7 Wolpelka - Sentimental strings are very nice, love the piano and the choir, drums are a bit too busy
8 Laguna Rising - I'm crazy about the atonal lines at the beginning of the piece. The lead synth(after a while) starts to annoy my right ear - wish it would either evolve in timbre or move in space somehow in the exposition. Bass guitar is awesome!
9 skipscada - troubles me only because of my years of the wine business. (here's another mocking, pretentious and drunk Frenchman). Music behind it is a bit repetitious
10 Folderol - Seems a bit simple, the choice of instrument voice(s) lack variety but I can see a Scottish mist in the melodies
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

After this last listening session:

01 - Mister Natural - Chill in the Air
02 - Wopelka - Chanson d'Automne
03 - Daniel Pompougnac - comment est l'automne ailleurs
04 - Nickel Smith - Black Tail River Anthem
05 - Beanpole - Summer's Gone
06 - Interferon - Autumn Falls
07 - Skipscada - Les 10 crus de Beaujolais
08 - Bzur - Rain
09 - David Stiles - Autumn Dusk in the Forest
10 - Folderol - Autumn Mist

01 - Daniel Pompougnac - comment est l'automne ailleurs
02 - David Stiles - Autumn Dusk in the Forest
03 - Beanpole - Summer's Gone
04 - Bzur - Rain
05 - Mister Natural - Chill in the Air
06 - Interferon - Autumn Falls
07 - Laguna Rising - Afterlife
08 - Folderol - Autumn Mist
09 - Skipscada - Les 10 crus de Beaujolais
10 - Wopelka - Chanson d’Automne

Incredible amount of comments,thanks guys and merci messieurs . Makes me feel awfully guilty .

01 Wopelka
02 Mister Natural
03 Folderol
04 ClaRago
05 Skipscada
06 Davidstyles
07 Nickel Smith
08 Bzur
09 Laguna Rising
10 Beanpole
11 Interferon

01 Davidstyles
02 Skipscada
03 Wopelka
04 Laguna Rising
05 Interferon
06 Beanpole
07 Nickel Smith
08 Daniel Pompougnac
09 Mister Natural
10 ClaRago

1. Interferon – Autumn Falls
2. Wopelka - Chanson d'Automne
3. bzur - Rain
4. Daniel Pompougnac - Comment est l'automne, ailleurs ?
5. davidstiles – Autumn Dusk in the Forest
6. Nickel Smith - Black Tail River Anthem
7. Mister Natural - Chill in the Air
8. beanpole - Summer's Gone
9. ClaRago - Marshland
10. Laguna Rising - Leaves' Afterlife
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Music Cafe”