Daniel Persson - Magical Moment

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

I've decided to upload a track here on KVR for the first time.

Comments would be appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/danielspersson/magical-moment

welcome! the kick is powerful, highs are crisp. it could use a little more midrange energy to balance it out better.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thanks for the comment!

I actually hade to cut some midrange on the master because the melodysound starting at 0:57.
I did a really narrow, but deep cut on two places, I think.

It was either "kill or hurt your darling", so to speak =)

But thanks again.

DanielPersson wrote:Thanks for the comment!

I actually hade to cut some midrange on the master because the melodysound starting at 0:57.
I did a really narrow, but deep cut on two places, I think.

It was either "kill or hurt your darling", so to speak =)

But thanks again.
not hearing the reason for the mid cut but ok, just saying if you keep mastering your tracks that way, its going to sound "hollow" to anyone listening with a properly calibrated monitoring system.

this is a a freq spec of the musical content from :57 > see the yellow line? thats how it should look.
spec.jpg
if you dont believe me see here:

http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/tech- ... ical-style

take a glance at the dance/techno curve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The "smiley" EQ curve gives it a kinda chill vibe which seems to suit it. Definitely seems to be on a dance/chill tip.

I was left wanting a bit more from the melody, it felt a bit repetetive and stuck on the beat, but I liked the wash of pads and the overall theme of the melody.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:The "smiley" EQ curve gives it a kinda chill vibe which seems to suit it.
it actually makes the kick and hats sound over emphasized in relationship to everything else.
but hey, im not going to argue that the sky is blue when someone believes its green.

Was that supposed to sound like a grumpy over-reaction to an opinion on a subjective matter?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

layzer wrote:
Sendy wrote:The "smiley" EQ curve gives it a kinda chill vibe which seems to suit it.
it actually makes the kick and hats sound over emphasized in relationship to everything else.
but hey, im not going to argue that the sky is blue when someone believes its green.
http://www.colourblindawareness.org/col ... blindness/

In any case most of my attention is going towards the melody and over all vibe of the track which is quite lovely.

Sendy wrote:Was that supposed to sound like a grumpy over-reaction to an opinion on a subjective matter?
no, i'm just trying to help people here mix like pros
it kind of bothered me that you encourage this
guy to keep that huge valley in the midrange saying it
gives it a "chill vibe" it sounds like an amature mixing job is what it sounds like.
shame on you!

anyone else??? come at me....

The reason I cut some mid was that the melodysound gave of a resonancesound which was hurting my ears.
I also spent two days to choose another sound for the melody but always came back to this one I'm using right now.

And as far as the mixing and mastering goes, well, I haven't really been doing any of this stuff before so I'm kinda just starting up.

DanielPersson wrote:The reason I cut some mid was that the melodysound gave of a resonancesound which was hurting my ears.
I also spent two days to choose another sound for the melody but always came back to this one I'm using right now.

And as far as the mixing and mastering goes, well, I haven't really been doing any of this stuff before so I'm kinda just starting up.
my hunch is that you are making the mistake that many new producers make, monitoring your mix uncalibrated.
if you need to cut out that much midrange from the mix for it not to "hurt your ears", then you are using headphones that either over emphasize the mids, or lack good bass and treble response. so what you do is you listen to a pro mastered track and use either the soundcard's EQ or an outboard EQ set to where it sounds natural. because i'll bet that if you take that grand canyon mids song, burn it to a CD and give it to your girlfriend to play on her 2015 toyota camery stock stereo, she will be like... hey, where all the mids at?

Return to “Music Cafe”