I need help mixing some songs (warning: folk/bluegrass)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love folk music. Downloading the songs. Listened to Something so right & here is some comments.

Your sis sings beautifull. Just give me some chance and I can dream up something to do with this. For a first listen, the ukelele sounds very tinny. As an instrument it does not have any bottom to speak of, so adding some bass or light percussion may give it more at the down side.

It is a wee bit rushed at some times. Unfortunately you will not get much of a sustain from an ukelele. Maybe you could cut it some places, e.g. at the start of the verses and shift it with a 1/4 second just to create a bit of suspense before...you got a wall... in china.

Give me more time to think about it. Will come back to you.

Actually, I have been using Voxformer. It's quite possible that I've been doing a bad job with it. :oops:

Lately I've been using Voxformer and either Auxiter or Sand Brush (4Front) on the vocals. I can't quite remember what, exactly, I have been using. When I get home I'll take a look at the projects and then get back to you.

Ukes are kinda hard to tune. I want to get one made with locking tuners! :hihi:

Heya Pough.. I saw this earlier in the evening, but couldn't take the time to respond. There's a lot of common ground between acoustic pop and bluegrass/folk... so I suppose I fall into the rare on kvr "likes it" category. And anyway, I live in the midwest, which invented this sort of white bread country. :) It's actually the stuff I like best... I'm just horrified by today's radio/chart-friendly country music.... but this sort of country music is on my radio most sunday afternoons.
pough wrote: I've done many, many versions of each song and I think my mixing is getting better, but my sister is now telling me that she prefers the way older mixes - the ones that I think are crap.
You're probably both right... she's gotten used to the original mixes, but you're thinking (and listening) more analytically and know your latest mix is better than what she likes.

My $0.04? First off, overall, there's something good there. :D Your sister has a great singing voice, and the tunes seem to match her voice well. I think you're already doing a solid job on the production, but I can hear where you're struggling. The energy level (and magic) is inconsistent, and there's a harshness in the high end that doesn't seem right in sweet tunes like these.

Something So Right
I think the vocal is too high in this one. Maybe 6 db.... it's way up there. :-o The uke and her voice share so much of the frequency spectrum, and she just dominates over it... :) I know it's typical for people to mix vocals too low, but but in this case, I think you need to go the other way.

You might also want to find some body for the uke... Try rolling off the presence, and boosting the level... or boost the woody tones from 100-250hz.

Also, try to spread out the uke somehow. From looking at the stereo spectrum (with vumeter.exe).. it's all dead stereo. How about using a comb filter (mda stereo or the like) to spread out the uke? Or try this trick I've used on acoustic guitar: Put PSP pianoverb on an aux bus. Set it to 100% wet and pan it to the right. Pan the uke to the left, but send a good amount of it into the psp pianoverb bus. You should get a nice fullness that doesn't sound faked like a comb filter can.

Fine As Fine Can Be
The production in this one seems closest to me. Really.. listing back again, I don't know what I'd suggest.

What kind of mic are you using to record her vocals? To my ears, it sounds mid-range heavy, like an sm58... it has a wonderful old-time country sound, but I wonder if it's losing some of the natural warmth in her voice.

Green
This is by far my favorite... I know that I sing my own tunes better than covers, and it's clear your sister does too. The vocals in this one are smooth and sweet, and sit nicely in the mix. I would like to hear a bit more bass, and/or something to fill in the low mids like a hammond organ or cello.

I think simple percussion would be fine on this one... There's already so much rhythm in the uke, I don't think you need much more. Just add some shakers and occasional tambourine hits. Maybe some soft cowbell accents. No, really! Cowbell is the secret to eternal happiness. I used cowbell on my most recent tune, and I haven't stopped smiling since.

For Baby
I'd definely add bass to this one... how about an upright/acoustic bass? Just some long notes to fill in the changes and add some body... Vocals sound very good on this one, with an authenic old-timey sound.

Alright, now my ears are shot. Good luck, and don't despair!
-Garret

Thank you very much, garret! You were close - most of the vocals are an sm57. Off by one! When she records at home she insists on it, even though I hate it. When she records here (I think only Something So Right) we use a MXL 2001.

There are some good tips in there. I'm gonna give 'em a try! :)

pough wrote:Thank you very much, garret! You were close - most of the vocals are an sm57. Off by one! When she records at home she insists on it, even though I hate it. When she records here (I think only Something So Right) we use a MXL 2001.

There are some good tips in there. I'm gonna give 'em a try! :)
Glad to be of help. The sm58 is the same capsule as the sm57.. just a different windscreen and I think a presence peak...

She's in good company... Bono and our own Donkey T also swear by their 57/58s. :)

I can see why she likes the 57... there's a skip in volume when she shifts into an upper register. I have the opposite, I go quiet and out of tune! My voice just ends unless I go into bad falsetto. :-o But she gets louder as she sings higher up... and I think the sm57 smooths that stuff out. It also has that classic "old time radio" sound that can be very appealing...

How far away was she from the mic when recording with the 2001? I wonder if you could close mic (6-8") and get some more body from the proximity effect...

-Garret

She wasn't too far away. I think I was just boosting too much high end to get some presence. A little too much presence, perhaps...

True, this is not something I'll put up here, nor a genre that I hardly qualify in commenting upon. Still I didn't mind downloading all four and playing them on rotation right now, and I can hear a significant difference in all the tunes.

They come quite bare of instruments, and for most tracks it surely works as it only emphasizes the voice and melody.

I think Green has the best settings on the vocals; there's warmth in her voice, but here the uke just has a tad too much presence in the higher frequencies. That soft bass in the back adds a good contrast to the song, although I believe it can be put a tad higher in the mix.

Something so right offers a lot of room for doing some crazy fusion with e.g. triphop (although it'll probably scare the hell out of her :-o ) It has this dragging rhythm where the uke is probably played a tad too agressive (then again it works here somehow)

Fine as fine can be sounds really great with the doubled vox, but I can't help thinking how good it would sound to bring up the original vocals (and bring more brightness) and push down the doubles.

There ya go; my thoughts that could as well be totally off as I hardly ever listen to music such as this. Still trying nevertheless, as there is always something to learn :D

Yup, something so right is my favorite in this bunch

Something So Right again

I made a few changes, as per suggestions...

Uke is panned left and the reverb for it is upped on the right. Suzy's voice is lowered a little and has less emphasis in the higher frequencies. Actually, the uke's high end has been lowered, too.

:)

Have you experimented how the ukelele sounds with a little bit chorus to widen it? To be honest I prefer the first mix. I think the answer is in widening the ukelele and perhaps another roomverb.

I don't want to add chorus because I want the uke to sound as natural as possible. I'll try a widener and a different reverb...

I think I might prefer the first mix, too, when it's played quietly. When it's played loud, the second mix sounds a little better to me. :help:

Hi Pough,

I prefer the first mix of Something So Right. The vocal seems more open and natural. IMHO the uke doesn't have the depth to be the sole accompaniment and, while the rhythm is good, I would tend to use an acoustic guitar to give more body in addition to the uke. I think that an 'unplugged' performance needs space and air which are probably more easily achieved using condenser mics. I like your sister's voice though and the harmonies on the other tracks are great.

Sigh. I'm still baffled by drums. I'm a terrible drum programmer and some of these songs definitely need drums.

Happier
Stevie Wonder, done with ukulele, at last! ;)
I'll add some (real) bass and (programmed) drums to this song and hopefully talk Suzy into adding a Wurli or something, too.

Would anybody be willing to help me with drums? :help:

Hey! This sounds a lot better! You are becoming an bluegrass expert. Great!

Return to “Music Cafe”