3am - cooperation (synth jam video)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got a Zoom Q8 video camera and recorded a synth jam as a test. I think it came out pretty well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnGaA8nvfAY
http://soundcloud.com/justin3am/cooperation

All sound sources are modular. I'm only using Bitwig as a mixer and to drive my E-RM Multiclock. The 2-mix was recored to the Q8's line inputs.

I didn't tune the oscillators before recording, the levels aren't perfect and there is some clipping. I hope to be doing more videos with this setup, I just need to figure out some better lighting and gain staging. :hihi:
Last edited by justin3am on Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nice ... the mad sonic scientist in his frankensynth laboratory surrounded by cables, blinking lights, and vibrating molecules! My room's about 1/10th that size and all I do is sit at my desk and push keys. You win. :clap:

Thanks! I do a lot of stuff with just my laptop but that isn't as interesting on video. :hihi:
The modular systems are a lot of fun but it requires some preparation. I plan to do some videos showing what goes into creating patches like these.

I sure hope you have discount in the cable shop :hihi: Maybe I should invest in modular to. I saw you move around a lot and I sure could use the exercise :P

Its cool to see this video. It takes me back to my Kraftwerk days in my teen age. It is also nice to see how other people arranged things at their studios. Thanks for sharing :tu:
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Thanks for listening!

Yeah, cables can be expensive. All Electronics, Markertek, and Monoprice are good places for budget patch cables. Especially when buying in bulk. Not many options in terms of colors, though. I used to make all my own cables, which is cheaper in terms of parts but more expensive in terms of time. :dog:

That's quite a funky little workout you have going on here. I love watching these modular videos . The flashing lights remind me of the bridge of NCC-1701 from back in the day, in addition to several TD concerts I got to see in the '70s and '80s. I'd love to put together a modular setup, but I don't have the space available. I used to make my own ethernet cables. It was fun the first time.

Good work. I'm looking forward to the next in the series :)

Justin eventually filled his whole house with electronics racks and gadgets. One day it attained singularity and took over the world but kept Justin for companionship. It would say "Play me Justin". :D

Thanks for watching/listening, guys!

Really nice looking gear you got. Also really good music improvisation show you did.

Lovely jam, and nice to see you work the modulars :tu:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Return to “Music Cafe”