Thankless Task

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This tune is the result of an attempt to approach things in a new, different way.

Anyone who's heard anything I've posted will know that drums have been treated as a bit of an after thought.
I start with a melody, bass line, what have you and the drum track is normally just a guide to aid the rest of it.

Need to get my act together, so a few tutorials later, I had a stab at doing this ...
Began with the drum track. Never done that before. With the aid of Megababy, in Reaper, I put together the drum track.
Then added a couple of synth tracks.
Minimal. Just the drums and the two synth tracks.

This is also a lesson in mixing. I'm getting better in this area, thanks to some excellent advice from helpful forum members.

I'd really appreciate feedback. It may be a little repetitive but this was an exercise in creating decent drum patterns and then mixing and mastering.

What do you reckon?

Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/landslide-victory/thankless-task

Interesting. there's a lot going on in the drum track, but it doesn't get in the way if you know what I mean. The whole thing seems pretty good to me.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

I think the mix is pretty good on this tune and the percussion is solid so congrats. :tu: The tune it's self is OK but nothing that really pulls me in. I think it could use more development. You're getting a good sound and have the mechanics worked out pretty well so now maybe work more on your musical ideas. A little more inspiration vs perspiration.

:tu: you come a long way in a short time :)
your drum tracks have gotten so much better.
i found it cool and laid back with an enjoyable mix.
great ping pong effects and bass.
reminded me of classic Art of noise.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Cheers for the comments.

I feel like I've turned a corner with regards to drums and mixing.
In no small part due to the feedback and advice offered here.
Layzer, you've been a great help. Thank you.

Now I need to develop tracks from a basic idea, a learning exercise, to properly fleshed out tunes.
That's an area that really needs to be addressed. How to structure and vary.
Rather than extend the initial melody idea, resulting in something boring and repetitive, I need to better understand how to build on it to create a fully fledged piece of music.

Any advice regarding this would be most welcome.
Thanks.

Return to “Music Cafe”