My Music - eternia

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

I guess I've been wandering around here long enough that it's probably about time I posted some links to my own music and gave a bit of info.

I've played a lot of different (but obscurely related) styles since the late 70s - firstly in Australia and now in the UK. Best known (oxymoron perhaps!) bands I've played in are Deathless, King Snake Roost, Madroom, Kaktus Mantras and Eternia. These days I make sort of ...er...goth music, but not the sort that comes in bubble gum packs - more like 80's rock stuff. I have around 40 releases - some of which I even listen to now and again.

Music has always been a form of therapy for me - I'm not interested in making a career out of it - I have a knack of playing in bands that noone likes until after they break up, then everyone claims to have been at all the gigs!

Eternia was my first totally solo project (I did everything on the album except the mastering which I left to a professional). Most of the Eternia stuff was recorded in about 1997/8 and was an attempt to learning the art of engineering.

My Eternal Thief (do you feel there's a theme going on here Deathless, Eternia, My Eternal Thief...) is another more current project.

Feel free to listen to any/all of it, buy the CDs, tell me I'm wrong, whatever.

Thanks for your time

David
nope...nothing!!

Well, firstly I think these are great songs (cause I'm a gothic freak). "Eternal Thief" is very good.

But, since you are asking for critique...

You have a great voice, so why don't you try a 'less in the throat' and more 'from the chest' vocal approach? It takes more energy, but I think in your case, it would be very worthwhile...

My humble opinion only... Take it or leave it, it's only worth what you put into it... :)

Thanks for your comments Xander, I really appreciate the time taken.

The vocal thing...hmmmmm, I've really never liked my singing and only started to sing on Eternia because I couldn't find anyone else to sing the songs. Eventually I got so precious about the whole project (I had made it so personal lyrically etc) that I couldn't contemplate getting another singer, so I had no choice.

Of course, you are totally right about singing from the chest. I am a clarinetist by training, so I *do* actually know *how* to breathe, I just don't do it :)

I guess what I really need to do is bite the bullet and take all my backing tracks into a proper studio environment where I can really belt out a tune (instead of cowering in my lil room hoping the neighbours aren't listening :!:).

Thanks again
David
nope...nothing!!

This is good. I like it. The production is great. I can see what Xanders getting at with the vocals, but I think as it's goth music it kinda works as it is.

I know what you mean about hoping the neighbours don't hear you. This weekend I was recording the vocals for this months KVR competition, whilst next door were having a BBQ. I sware they must think I'm some kind of crazy man, singing about aliens from outer space and screaming "Captain Starman" at the top of my voice to an empty room!! I did feel like a twat, but hey, the sacrifice's you make! :lol: I just choose to sacrifice my dignity!

Ben

Glooper wrote:I sware they must think I'm some kind of crazy man, singing about aliens from outer space and screaming "Captain Starman" at the top of my voice to an empty room!!
Especially with all that blood flying around the place from yr new bass :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the kind comments.

David
nope...nothing!!

Aye, good stuff indeed, a bit more 'goff' that my usual cup of schnitzel, but you can tell the quality there.. I kind of like the vocals how they are, slightly hesitant, a bit like Ian Curtis in places. :D (or should that be :scared: )

Re the old singing malarky - I wonder what my neighbours think when I do one of the 'farmers' songs... :hihi: f**k it, I'm usually too pissed to care!

eternia wrote:
Glooper wrote:I sware they must think I'm some kind of crazy man, singing about aliens from outer space and screaming "Captain Starman" at the top of my voice to an empty room!!
Especially with all that blood flying around the place from yr new bass :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the kind comments.

David
Aye thats true... :lol:... god, it's No wonder I was met with stone silence when I went into my back garden and jokingly threatened to steal their Beef Burgers...

Ben

Cheers DT,

I can picture you slumped in a wheelbarrow in that shed on yr web page...balancing beer, pizza n mic... guitar swinging dangerously overhead :)

D
nope...nothing!!

Glooper wrote:it's No wonder I was met with stone silence when I went into my back garden
Ha! I get that all the time ...
[Last of the Summer Wine voice]
"look, it's that Tasmanian :ud: feller, e's out on street again" ...sound of curtains closing!... "Why'z he want to come over ere for - whatz he think he's up t' - it shouldn't be allowed"
[/Last of the Summer Wine voice]

D
nope...nothing!!

Return to “Music Cafe”