Allomerus - The Pit and the Pendulum - Update Mix 4

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great song! And a neat classic prog rock vibe with your twist on it, I think. In a few places I found myself reminded of some of the tracks from Pink Floyd's The Wall (and I really like that album).

I like it! Original but still very much that Allomerus style :)

seismic1 wrote:I just had a listen to version 2. The reverb on the tron gives it a slightly more sinister vibe which I think sounds more appropriate. I don't really hear much difference in the overall volume. Maybe in a couple of places.

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition :)
Thanks Tim. I'll have another listen...
Amongst their weaponry is fear, surprise and a ruthless dedication to...
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

davidstiles wrote:Great song! And a neat classic prog rock vibe with your twist on it, I think. In a few places I found myself reminded of some of the tracks from Pink Floyd's The Wall (and I really like that album).
Thanks David. Really wasn't looking to a Pink Floyd influence on this but appreciate your slant on it... 'The Wall' is indeed a fabulous album. :)
Bandcamp

Jesse Gorter wrote:I like it! Original but still very much that Allomerus style :)
Thanks Jesse. I am enjoying your forays into gaming music... :)
Bandcamp

excellent production, John and Co. it had your trademark variety of sounds with
strange lyrics. much enjoyed :hyper:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:excellent production, John and Co. it had your trademark variety of sounds with
strange lyrics. much enjoyed :hyper:
Hi Layzer. Glad you enjoyed it. The lyrics and title are quotes from the great Edgar Alan Poe.
Bandcamp

New mix. Sounds louder to me. The original was quieter as I was trying to avoid peak distortion. So I searched for the offending peaks and lowered them a bit in the mix and added a limiter to the output.

https://soundcloud.com/a11omerus/the-pi ... pendulum-3
Bandcamp

This one does sound a little louder overall. The vocals also seem to louder relative to the instruments, which works better I think. Job done.

Looking at the Soundcloud waveforms of the three versions, nothing regarding the relative volumes of the different versions may be deduced from the "amplitudes" represented in those waveforms. It's something I've noticed before. I've uploaded tracks that were deliberately recorded/mixed/mastered to produce a "quiet" piece of music, but the SC wave would lead one to believe that the volume is equal to something previously uploaded of a much higher volume. Trust your ears.

Good work :)

Really a very cool track. I really like the style. It sounds very much like you, as you always do. My main problems are with the production. I find the drums to be rather distracting. It's like they are in super wide stereo and the rest is centred. I'd like to hear the guitars double tracked (they don't sound like they are) as I think they get a little lost under the vocals. I don't think rock or metal needs perfect production. I listen to some with horrible production, but these things stand out to me here.

As for the volume. I think it's a little low, but that's up to you. We can always turn it up.

Thanks for your listens and thoughts. I have a new mix with the guitar a bit louder and altered the stereo placement of the drums (and a few other things too).
Cheers,
John :)
https://soundcloud.com/a11omerus/the-pi ... pendulum-4
Bandcamp

I think it sounds a bit better. The drums have improved, but I listened a few times and I think the biggest problem with the drums is that the kick is too wide. Personally, I would centre it. The vocal balance is much better.

I had a listen to your Bandcamp album and the drums don't sound like they do here. They sound much more a part of the music. In the end though, what do you think of the production? If you are happy with it, be happy with it and let it go. I just released an album on Bandcamp myself and I just went with my gut. There are probably tons of issues with the production, but I like the way it sounds. Just keep working at it until you think it sounds good, then maybe look back at it as a reference for your next track.

I just checked out the latest mix. It's noticeably louder, when compared to the original, helping to make the song sound "fuller". The drums are quite wide, which is apparent when sat 30 inches from my monitors, but sound much better when sat in the sofa listening on the main system 5 yards from the speakers.

Shangsean wrote:I think it sounds a bit better. The drums have improved, but I listened a few times and I think the biggest problem with the drums is that the kick is too wide. Personally, I would centre it. The vocal balance is much better.

I had a listen to your Bandcamp album and the drums don't sound like they do here. They sound much more a part of the music. In the end though, what do you think of the production? If you are happy with it, be happy with it and let it go. I just released an album on Bandcamp myself and I just went with my gut. There are probably tons of issues with the production, but I like the way it sounds. Just keep working at it until you think it sounds good, then maybe look back at it as a reference for your next track.
Thanks Shangsean. When I listen to the drums on their own in my DAW (logic) the kick is centred but there seems to be another low drum that is occasionally wide. The drums are supplied as is in stereo as Paul uses an electronic kit. I guess I could narrow the spread somehow, but I think I will leave it as it is. In the meantime I'll get Paul to have a listen to the stereo spread on his kit.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, I really appreciate your detailed listen and thoughts. All the best.
Bandcamp

seismic1 wrote:I just checked out the latest mix. It's noticeably louder, when compared to the original, helping to make the song sound "fuller". The drums are quite wide, which is apparent when sat 30 inches from my monitors, but sound much better when sat in the sofa listening on the main system 5 yards from the speakers.

Thanks Tim. Please see my response above...
Appreciate your listen and thoughtful comments.
Bandcamp

Return to “Music Cafe”