August Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bump, to stop it disappearing. Really needs to be sticky :(
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

A gently bump, once again.

Any news for the August theme ?

Cheers

I don't yet have the power to make things sticky, but I'll see what I can do about getting it :)

As for August's theme, I promise it'll be something Real Simple.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

Bump

Ha!
This is a {cough} real {cough} doozy :wheee:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Real. Simple.*

Last month's theme got kind of crazy, so for August we're going to cool things down a bit. This month's theme is simplicity, but with a twist! So think of it as a two-part theme:

Part 1: Simplicity. Obviously, this is going to mean different things to each of us, but the guiding impulse of your composition this month should be to keep it simple. Only one melody line, no harmony? No key changes at all? Something that repeats over and over? It's up to you. Just nothing complex. That makes Victor's brain hurt and he has to go listen to Chick Corea's "Children's Songs" again.

Part 2: Real. Here's the twist (of the knife, I suppose, depending on your musical tastes): your composition this month should include an audio recording or audio samples of something REAL (or "concrète", existing in the real world, if you will). I'll leave the interpretation of this up to you: do you use a field recording of a rainstorm in the background of your track? Is your composition arranged and composed for that steel swingset at a nearby playground? Maybe you've sampled something that sounds like nothing else and that forms the basis of your track (I've got a grill spatula I've been meaning to record for a while now). Don't have a field recorder? A smartphone can definitely do the trick. Don't want to record anything yourself? Poke around online for (free, unlicensed please!) recordings of real objects that you can use. Obviously, a musical instrument like a guitar is "real" and you could just record that, but how far can you take it -- while keeping it simple, of course?
Oh got it.
I have a melodic line in mind, now I'll start working on it and I see if I can integrate a real sound in there in some appropriate way... :scared:

I have to think it over :?

Oh, nice theme btw :tu:

DrApostropheX wrote:I don't yet have the power to make things sticky, but I'll see what I can do about getting it :)
While you're at it, you might want to ask the powers that be for the ability to delete/move posts incorrectly placed in the Submissions thread. Not that it's that big a deal when it comes to just a few comments but it's always nicer to keep that place free of stuff that belongs in the Gossip thread. :wink:

Love the theme.

So, if I'm not mistaken, we'll end up doing something like this :

https://youtu.be/o5ZEYMl9VIs

right ?

Laguna Rising wrote:So, if I'm not mistaken, we'll end up doing something like this :

right ?

Yes.

Laguna Rising wrote:So, if I'm not mistaken, we'll end up doing something like this :

right ?
Definitely yes! I would listen to 15 entries like this, in a heartbeat! :)
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

rp314 wrote:
DrApostropheX wrote:I don't yet have the power to make things sticky, but I'll see what I can do about getting it :)
While you're at it, you might want to ask the powers that be for the ability to delete/move posts incorrectly placed in the Submissions thread. Not that it's that big a deal when it comes to just a few comments but it's always nicer to keep that place free of stuff that belongs in the Gossip thread. :wink:
I think if you can do one, you can do the other. Just have to get Ben to give the ability, and that's the hard part.

In the meantime, folks can feel free to PM me if a post needs moving.
No longer a moderator.

Oh, and: Intriguing theme.
No longer a moderator.

Laguna, sweet entry! Sets a high bar. :-)

rachmiel wrote:Laguna, sweet entry! Sets a high bar. :-)

Thanks! :)
I'm certainly not a perfectionist. Started with the idea to keep it simple, to abide by the theme, and very soon I couldn't add anything else.
I'm sure others will figure out more intriguing ways to incorporate "real" sounds

Cheers

Return to “Music Cafe”