whyterabbyt's KVR-MCR thang....

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dance of the Jabberwock

Rob... feel free to add this into your ongoing list...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

glad to see you add this ...
d/l'ing now ...

Is this your first track at KVR?

Kriminal quoth Is this your first track at KVR?

Second; there was the collab with Remco. Plus various competition entries.

whyterabbyt wrote:Kriminal quoth Is this your first track at KVR?

Second; there was the collab with Remco. Plus various competition entries.

I was sooooooooooo hoping you'd qouth me :lol:

Nice and dark and metallic sounding. This CD is sounding very good indeed :D

whyterabbyt wrote:Dance of the Jabberwock
Rob... feel free to add this into your ongoing list...
have done ...

... still digging those scots speak-n-spell stylings

slainte 8) rob

I've listened to this track many times now, and from moment one this track sang to me.

Loud and in yer face rhythms that remind me somehow of those highland songs and rhythms. I am however fascinated with the melody-sound that you have layered on a 16th note sequenced sound. I try to think how you created that sliding effect of the lead sound, but I seem to not be able to grasp it. So what did you use there :)

I'll give you a rundown tomorrow, Mystahr, Im a bit knackered from the train back to Dundee.

I'm not very clever when it comes to defining genres, but that rhythm sounds very industrial to me. Does not matter what it is...

I LOVE IT. You have done some special effort in getting the rhythm section sounds. Congrats.

The synth sounds at times clash a bit with the rhythm of the drums. Don't know if the synths ignored the using of host timing or if you did it on purpose.

Keep it up and post more songs.

WRT timing, apart from the loop it was done in 3 straight (improvised) passes, 1 per synth (impOSCar, vurtbox, Slayer2) with no quantizing or editing at all, controlled from a Casio DG20 guitar controller thingy...

Okay, for Mystahr, here's what was done.

Recently I got a Casio DG20 guitar controller. When I was first testing it out, I sussed that you could do rather nice things by setting it to control layered synths which were arpeggiating with polyphony limited to 2 or 3 voices.

So I started off with a rhythmic 'guide' loop, which just happened to be a CM coverdisk sample from Chris Vrenna, which would appear to have been used in the track 'Swamp' on The Attraction To All Things Uncertain.

The loop though was then processed through the copy of BeatBurner which had arrived a couple of days earlier, to mix it up a bit, but it was probably only about a 20% mix, so the original loop was still the focus.

Next step was the first synth; impOSCar. Its a tweaked preset set to duophonic polyphony, but still arpeggiating and set with hold 'on'. Basically, I was keeping the arpeggio going, but just switching which notes were being triggered with the guitar controller, running a sort of 'continuous' bassline off the bottom string, and creating a pattern across the top two. The whole sequence was improvised, unquantised, and unedited; nothing was done at all to the MIDI on any track, so it was all as it was played. There was the occasional 'fluff' on this track where I hit a couple of extra strings or whatever, but after the usual sprinkling of delay and reverb and stuff it just made the arp 'shimmer' so I didnt do anything to clean it up.

The second layer was done with Slayer2, on a fairly distorted sound, with some reverb to sit it futher back. This was just improvised in places over the top, pretty much from what I thought I'd done the first time, although this time it was a bit more 'strummy' and a bit less picked.

The last layer had to be done in vurtbox, and again it was just accents improvised over the top, from what I recalled of what I'd already done :)

I did add a couple of other bits (like a vocoded vocal line) but it just wasnt working so I deleted them again.

There was a little more in the way of effects processing added, including routing the output from Beatburner through Anarchy Rhythms to get that sort of that secondary breathing/pumping rhythm superimposed on it, and then did some basic automation of the levels for the four tracks to evolve the balance of them across the duration of the track.

Then it got whacked through a 'lift and separate' preset on Ozone, and ftp'd to Glassback...

...and that were it. I was pretty chuffed with the way it came out, though, and many thanks to everyone at that was there that said nice things about it... :)

nice track! love that primal rhythm and sounds too!
great title, too!
good to hear something from you.
:wink:

nice track - why not enter into the monthly comp - i reckon it fits the bill pretty well!
love the sounds - read your last post with interest
MattC

see the world needs more of your tunes

you already know how i feel about this,and i will tell everyone else now
its brilliant,each time i hear it its still as awesome and powerful as the first time :D

thanks for the hefty rundown of what was done
im gonna have to get me one of them guitar controllers i think 8)

Thanks, Unicon and Bluedad.

As for the compo, Im not keen on reusing previously-done stuff for the competition. And if I do anything with it I'll add a couple more minutes rather than chop some stuff out :)

Return to “Music Cafe”