A jazz-ish fusion of SNES Zelda tunes

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

through the mirror and back

A swinging medley of two songs from the SNES Zelda game, A Link to the Past, this song fuses the themes of the light and dark worlds.

Any feedback on the mix would be greatly appreciated; I'm looking to submit this to OCRemix but I don't know if it's quite there yet. I'm still getting used to my new room and monitors, so I'm wondering if there's anything that jumps out as bad. You can be honest, it will help!

I know the composition/arrangement is a bit dense; this made mixing a bit of a headache, and I may have gotten a little too heavy-handed with destructive edits, particularly with regards to EQ.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out, and I hope you enjoy.

Well done. I particularly like the electric piano part and how it transitions into something more atmospheric for a moment. I think you could make more use of panning to give some of the instruments more space. The bass masks the kick a bit in some of the busier parts. I'm hesitant to be critical of these kinds of arrangements, as it's something I always struggle with. I always want to make things sound over-saturated and hyper-real but the sound here is very natural.

Thank you for listening and commenting. Your feedback is very helpful!

I'm especially struggling with low frequency content, since my little KRKs can only move so much air. Also, I'm beginning to think I may have messed up the acoustic treatment of my (rather small) room. I want to try the Pensado trick of monitoring the whole mix only through a sub, but I don't have a sub to work with...

Panning... you got me there. I'm always afraid to hard-pan stuff, and then it always ends up crowding the middle. I think the more tracks I pile on, the harder it becomes to balance the stereo field. I'm thinking my next song will have far fewer instrument tracks (this project has like 140 tracks, but that's including busses/sends, and a lot of that was splitting stuff across tracks to avoid using too much automation). Maybe I should try LCR on my next project, just as an exercise.

Thanks again!

140 tracks! I rarely hit 15 these days, but I'm working almost exclusively with synths, and I'm still using a 32-bit sequencer, so anything over about 22 tracks (dependent upon which instruments/FX I'm using) will cause my system to hang up. I do have a 64-bit DAW or two, but old habits die hard :)

I really liked the track. It had an enjoyable "lively/live" sound, and definitely had a "swing" to it which carried it along nicely. The mix sounded quite good to me, but I have no experience with this style of music.

Good work and good luck :)

Very cool. It has a lovely relaxed flow, and reminds me of a Big Band I played with for a few years. Love the EP solo...
The bass is excellent driving everything along...
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

yes I dig the band feel of this also, and ya smokin ep, well done. I probably shouldn't say anything about the mix cause its beyond what I could do but I might try to give the brass section a little more high end presence just to separate it a bit more

Return to “Music Cafe”