ironing bored

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

okay, i was pretty bored so i decided to see what i could make using only my girlfriend's mother's iron.

i only started because of the cool ping sound it made when it heated up, but i didn't want to put in a melody just for the sake of it without a good idea, so it's purely a percussive piece. (without the ping!)

that does mean, however, that you can (with some EQ) experiment with it as a drum loop, layering it under any similarly swung beats you may have. i don't mind what you do with it at all, just let me know if you use it so i can be happy ;)

it is made purely from samples i recorded (with a £5 mic into my minidisc walkman) from the iron - turning the dial, plugging it in, hitting it a bit, y'know - all those things you do with an iron to make noise, except burning off someone's face. the only processing apart from arrangement/slicing was EQ and a _tiny_ bit of phaser for slight variety.

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/haydxn/ha ... gBored.mp3 (rightclick -> save as)

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/haydxn <- or go here

tempo : 127.02 bpm
mp3 size : 1.51 mb

if anyone's really interested i can post the Tracktion Archive for it too when i get time. i hope someone finds it interesting!
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

:shock:

you're a very strange man...

that doesn't mean that this isn't an interesting mechanical adventure!
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

haydxn wrote:that doesn't mean that this isn't an interesting mechanical adventure!
didn't say it isn't, was, has been, could be...

I think this is very cool! I like it and I wish I could for once try too stay in that experimental, minimal area. You inspire me!

/Mikael

Absolutely brilliant! I've thought about this myself (my iron makes some truyly weird noises) but you beat me to it... :D Crazy and crunchy, just the way it should be, great work!

Now, where are those coffee-making samples of mine... :wink:

Cheers,

Arne S.

:D
I was reading yur description thinking to myself
'what the f**k..'
but it's certainly a cool groove.
very creative work there
8)

imagine what it would sound like if you added a vacuum cleaner and a toaster
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Hey! Very nice!
Thought it sounded sexy also!
Made me masturbate. :D

Then I joined the army.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Excellent! I love this kind of use of found sounds... That beat is kind of Tech Step, but with ironing sounds... Is this a new genre... Steam'n'bass anyone?

:D

Putte has got competition! Sampling Lego bricks for beats is not enough any more!
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.

Hey,That was very clever..Knowing that this sounds are just an iron makes it all interesting...It reminded me of STOMP if you have seen them playing live...I m sure they would get so jealous if they heard that!!!

Nice one..

Simon.
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

Cute.

There is a group (I couldn't find them by Google) who made an album some years ago where each track was named after a model photocopier (Minolta X25-c and that sort of thing) using purely the sounds of that machine.

It was on emusic of which I'm no longer a member.

V.

i really liked this too, good idea haydxnanyhay 8)

i wanted to do a short piece a couple of years ago after finding the noise that tumble dryer vents make very interesting - as you walk past them the sound changes, and thers a cool drone and whoosh sound

i was living on a small island in the Atlantic at the time so maybe that was somethign to do with that too..... island fever :shock:

jim

Innovative yet hilarious!!!

Nice one Haydn :D

yup H. 8)
you are indeed one of them!
us?who and why?
but yes cool grooves can be found everywhere
mind if i have a chop(or can you rar up the original samples 8) )

Return to “Music Cafe”