Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

June Contest: Gossip

DrApostropheX
KVRAF

1938 posts since 8 Feb, 2003, from Nearish Detroit, MI

Postby DrApostropheX; Sat May 27, 2017 11:00 am June Contest: Gossip

Another new month is coming up quick!

How did people feel about lifting the 3-minute duration restriction this time around?

And for next month would people like something more thematic in nature or more structural (like only compose in super-Locrian modes or something)?
Laguna Rising
KVRAF

6693 posts since 4 Apr, 2005, from here and there

Postby Laguna Rising; Sat May 27, 2017 11:44 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

Well, I don't care too much about the length...

I like the idea of a somehow restricting theme, it makes the composing more daring and sometimes I get unpredictable results... :hihi:
Pick one of your choice. Any sort will do
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

3898 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Sat May 27, 2017 12:07 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

Having managed to break two bones in my fingers on my right hand (by falling up a massive flight of 3 steps :ud: ), what about manual note entry only - no controller keyboards/guitars/drums. :hihi: Bring everyone down to my level.. :x
folderol
KVRAF

4664 posts since 5 Aug, 2006, from UK - Here!

Postby folderol; Mon May 29, 2017 11:16 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

How about going the other extreme?
I seem to remember we used to have a 2 minute time slot once. What about really pushing the boundary and having to make your point in just 1 minute :scared: :help:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)
Mister Natural
KVRAF

2064 posts since 28 Oct, 2007, from michigan

Postby Mister Natural; Mon May 29, 2017 5:56 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

donkey tugger wrote:Having managed to break two bones in my fingers on my right hand (by falling up a massive flight of 3 steps :ud: ), what about manual note entry only - no controller keyboards/guitars/drums. :hihi: Bring everyone down to my level.. :x

OUCH !

Get better
"the digital photo of that guitar just doesn't have the same warmth as an analog photo for me"
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks
Mister Natural
KVRAF

Postby Mister Natural; Mon May 29, 2017 5:57 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

How about only processed vocals . . . ?
"the digital photo of that guitar just doesn't have the same warmth as an analog photo for me"
Hellfog
KVRist

419 posts since 1 Jan, 2009

Postby Hellfog; Tue May 30, 2017 3:39 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

Mister Natural wrote:How about only processed vocals . . . ?

You mean a track Only with Vocals, no instrument?
Mister Natural
KVRAF

Postby Mister Natural; Tue May 30, 2017 5:37 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

yeah fog, I'm suggesting a piece made with only vocal samples(processed or not) as instruments . . .
Hellfog
KVRist

Postby Hellfog; Tue May 30, 2017 6:20 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

MN:

Sounds like fun.
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

Postby donkey tugger; Tue May 30, 2017 9:44 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

folderol wrote:How about going the other extreme?
I seem to remember we used to have a 2 minute time slot once. What about really pushing the boundary and having to make your point in just 1 minute :scared: :help:

Being a really old bastard, I remember when the contest started (think I entered the second month) and limit was 30 seconds for quite a while. This was of course in the days of dial-up (nice title for a song... :hihi: ). Really made you plan what you were writing, or not, as my first entry was some random shite called, 'get the pies'.
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

Postby donkey tugger; Tue May 30, 2017 9:46 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

Mister Natural wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:Having managed to break two bones in my fingers on my right hand (by falling up a massive flight of 3 steps :ud: ), what about manual note entry only - no controller keyboards/guitars/drums. :hihi: Bring everyone down to my level.. :x

OUCH !

Get better

Cheers!
rollasoc
KVRist

406 posts since 13 Jun, 2003, from Shrewsbury, UK

Postby rollasoc; Wed May 31, 2017 8:10 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

donkey tugger wrote:Being a really old bastard, I remember when the contest started (think I entered the second month) and limit was 30 seconds for quite a while. This was of course in the days of dial-up (nice title for a song... :hihi: ). Really made you plan what you were writing, or not, as my first entry was some random shite called, 'get the pies'.

I remember doing one 30 second piece a long time ago and several 2 minute ones.

I like the 3 minute rule, since it limits the amount of time it takes to listen to all the entries (when I have time to enter, which isn't often enough).
Band: http://www.hairthieves.com
Solo Instrumentals : https://sineglidermusic.bandcamp.com/
New Hairthieves EP - EP 9, out November 3rd
Hellfog
KVRist

Postby Hellfog; Wed May 31, 2017 9:01 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

I was hoping that June contest was up today.
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

Postby donkey tugger; Wed May 31, 2017 9:15 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

rollasoc wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:Being a really old bastard, I remember when the contest started (think I entered the second month) and limit was 30 seconds for quite a while. This was of course in the days of dial-up (nice title for a song... :hihi: ). Really made you plan what you were writing, or not, as my first entry was some random shite called, 'get the pies'.

I remember doing one 30 second piece a long time ago and several 2 minute ones.

I like the 3 minute rule, since it limits the amount of time it takes to listen to all the entries (when I have time to enter, which isn't often enough).

I can understand though that for some it's a bit limiting; for me 5 minutes is an epic, for some it's their intro. I do think it would be good to do a really short one again though at some point.
skipscada
KVRian

1253 posts since 22 Oct, 2004, from Schmocation

Postby skipscada; Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:52 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

Looked in to see what's going on around here and I'm a bit puzzled to see the theme for June isn't up yet.

If there's a shortage of ideas, remember there was a list of suggestions in an earlier thread.

As for the other things that have been discussed, FWIW I like the 3 minute time limit. Too short? Make a "radio edit" for the contest and make a longer version for yourself and you fans.

I also like other limitations. I tend to get blank page syndrome, and experiments are fun.

To give the contest a bit more direction and purpose and fun, I suggest (expecting to be ignored or tut-tutted) the following every month:

A theme, preferably of current interest (e.g. summer, covfefe, pollen allergy, Twin Peaks)
A limitation (e.g. no bass drum, no chords, no reverb)
An obligatory element (e.g. dialogue from a specific film, bassoon, modulated filtering, tape start)
An obligatory freeware plugin (after all the raison d'etre of KVR is to promote and encourage the use of audio software)

All self-policed, based on the honour principle. Not convinced another contestant has followed the rules? Don't vote for her/him.
Next

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe