Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
ChamMusic
KVRist

227 posts since 12 Jun, 2006, from Birmingham, UK

Postby ChamMusic; Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 am Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... g-assassin

Short and simple piece of 'old school' melodic electronica.

Almost all of the sounds, (apart from drums and percussion), were created here:

https://www.kontakthub.com/bundle/blue-orb-trilogy/

Timbre for the main melody uses three layers from:

https://www.kontakthub.com/product/Zero-1-Synth/
Last edited by ChamMusic on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
Frantz
KVRAF

4228 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:37 pm Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

Pleasant tune which reminds me of Vangelis' style. It doesn't have any twists or surprises. It seems like you were trying out new Kontakt libraries rather than focusing on the composition.

All of the individual sounds are good but it does get a bit busy with so many sounds fighting for attention.

FYI, you have some broken links and you did a double post.
ChamMusic
KVRist

Postby ChamMusic; Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:57 am Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

Hi Frantz,
Vangelis style - yes. It's a short 'filler' track for a Vangelis / JMJ / TD etc style album I'm experimenting with! (6 tracks so far).

I like to get feedback before releases like this...

Too busy...maybe, I'll let it sit for a few weeks and then have another listen; that way I can approach your suggestion more objectively!

No twists and surprises - agreed! This was definitely meant to be a nice, simple melodically driven piece which wouldn't shake up the listener too much, ( a moment of relaxation amongst hopefully more challenging tracks).

New Kontakt libraries - you definitely have a point there to some extent, although I've already created two short pieces using these libraries + I originally wrote this piece about 4 years for a live piano and cello performance! Admittedly this arrangement is quite different, but the melody is still the same.

Double post - how that happened I do not understand, especially as the time stamp on both is 100% identical! Thanks for that! Any idea how you delete a post...I had a look and couldn't find a DELETE function!

Links - thank you, sorted! Something clearly went a bit weird on this posting!

As always - cheers for the feedback...I do ALWAYS take it on board!
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
Frantz
KVRAF

Postby Frantz; Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:19 am Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

You can't delete a post. Only a mod can do that. But you can edit the title to "double post - ignore" and lock the thread.

With respect to the busyness, a lot of the sounds are attention grabbing "star" sounds. You could replace some of them with less interesting sounds that do the job but stay in the background. For example, I would consider replacing the metallic hi hat with something less noticeable.
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

6522 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:31 am Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

A bit of subtractive EQ would sort out the busyness, I didn't feel there were too many sounds just they all occupy the same frequency range

Also it's quite a dull muddy mix
The future is yesterday
ChamMusic
KVRist

Postby ChamMusic; Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:36 am Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

@Frantz: Thanks for 'post' info...at least I wasn't being stupid and missing a 'delete' function! :0)

'Star' sounds...I know what you mean and it's now on my list of possible revisions. Hi Hat - the piece needs that edge of rhythmic drive, but I can try other sounds definitely. (this was actually on my own list any way)!

@Vari: Just looked through the various individual sounds via a spectrum analyser...they seriously don't all occupy the same frequency range at all, but I think you have a point in terms of too much crossover in a couple of areas - thanks for that.

Dull muddy mix - interesting, as feedback on other sites has said totally the opposite! Again - thanks...on my list to check!
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
Allomerus
KVRAF

1725 posts since 28 Aug, 2012, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Allomerus; Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:10 am Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

Nice perky short track that achieves your objective. Doesn't sound to cluttered to me.
Sounds good in headphones.
Well done.
:)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.
ChamMusic
KVRist

Postby ChamMusic; Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:41 am Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

Thanks John.

I'm getting very mixed feedback across various sites on this one...all useful though!

@Vari:
There is a little bit of a peak in the low mids that might create muddyness to some ears. Certainly there is more energy there than in my last couple of releases, but not by much. I've done a new mix and will compare and contrast over various systems next week.
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

6522 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:00 am Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

Maybe I've got wooden ears !!
The future is yesterday
ChamMusic
KVRist

Postby ChamMusic; Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:14 pm Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Maybe I've got wooden ears !!

Maybe?

Maybe not?

I've definitely got ears that are slowly losing the ability to hear high frequencies accurately...I rely on old benchmark tracks ALL the time now!

Also the BIG problem with mixing is:

We ALL hear things so differently in so many ways...

Ears all work differently
Different speaker and headphones
Different room acoustics

I suppose the trick is simply to get a mix that works pretty damn well in most 'normal' situations!
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
ChamMusic
KVRist

Postby ChamMusic; Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:40 pm Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

For anyone who's interested...

Following on from some useful feedback - a subtly tweaked new mix just went live!
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
layzer
KVRAF

4441 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:16 pm Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

enjoyed that. nice melody but i felt the sounds could use more tonal refinement. ie; EQing.
also, the fact that it is a rather slow, chill track i think an over all less loudly compressed
mix would better suit it :wink:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
Frantz
KVRAF

Postby Frantz; Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:16 pm Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

ChamMusic wrote:Following on from some useful feedback - a subtly tweaked new mix just went live!

I like the new mix. It no longer sounds busy to me. Good job. :tu:
ChamMusic
KVRist

Postby ChamMusic; Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:26 am Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

@Frantz:
Cheers. Many thanks for the feedback.

@Layzer:
Thanks for the suggestions. This has been a sod to mix! I might well still tweak the EQ on a few sounds very slightly...still a touch to 'bright' across the board maybe?

Compression - wise. I think that it's probably the mastering that might've been a little bit overdone if anything here...something I was also mulling over. the orginal mix had VOXENGO ELEPHANT as the final limiter and I'd pushed it to around +3dB. for some reason I've pushed this one to around +4.5dB! I tend to agree that it's just a little bit too far for this style of track.
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
seismic1
KVRAF

8499 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:52 pm Re: Last Dance of the Cyborg Assassin

I listened to this a few times since Wednesday morning, and couldn't hear anything disagreeable in the mix, so I probably only heard the revised version. In fact, I found the mix to be pleasantly smooth and spacious. It's definitely got Vangelis vibes a-plenty, especially with the brass swells. The choice of sounds was great. I think you could extend this by 60-90 seconds with a bombastic closing section and some heavier percussion.

Good work :)
Next

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe