Rose: New version (clicky, dubby minimalism)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New track up.

New version, even.
See downthread.

It's called Rose, after the plant to the right of me (plus it's nice and short).
An experiment in minimalism.
Unmastered and unfinished: I think the end needs some tidying up, I also want to shake the organish sound up a bit. Maybe some pitch-modulation here and there.

Made entirely in AudioMulch, all sounds except the tiny samples that come in at 2:10 and 3:00 are treated test-tones.
Bass-line chopped up with DFX Skidder, delays roughed up with MDA rezfilter.
Everything else is Mulch.

New version Here.
6:20 min, 160kVBR mp3, 8.4 MB.

old version Here.

Enjoy, and comments are more than welcome.

Groet, Erik
Last edited by tetraplan on Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pop music delenda est.

sorry mate cant listen too long the glitch type samples?(posibly just peaks?)make this unlistenable to me sorry :?

Beautiful bass here, and some fine ass sounds going on.

For some reason I had hoped the test-tone to be more moving about subtly, or morph a bit through time; instead it was rather static, which I regreted. Try some dynamics with fading in and out more the separate elements, to get more life into it.

One suggestion for the test-tone might be sweepie (4 filter-lfo's). I think pitch modulation may be not the way to go as it might hit frequencies you'd rather not want to hit. (multilens or the obertone filterbank are other freebie suggestions ;) )

But like you said; unfinished and unmastered... I'd be interested to hear where you'd take this :D

Checked this out cos it was described as 'dubby'.

I'm with vurt here - those nasty glitchy sounds detract from the minimal synthwork in the background and that feedback drone that just doesn't change for the first 5 minutes gave me a headache, but still I stuck with it till the end but didn't hear anything that resembled dub...

I make a point of not commenting if I don't like a tune, rather I try to accept that someone, somewhere will find value in it, but I found this so painful I just had to say so...

Sorry. :oops:

man , honestly ...

or you are a genius or you´re not conscient of what you´ve posted !

i´ve listen to its 6 minutes ... (poor speakers :cry: ) ... and like it , if you have more , post them i bet they are very interesting pieces !

hehe, kvr is such a strange place
I think this is pretty cool.

Thanks for all the comments and criticism.

It's definately a work in progress and needs some more work (working, working).
I basically hammered the posted version out in 3 hours (including encoding) and maybe I should have waited have waited a bit.
After a few listens the test-tone/organish sound got on my nerves, too. I'm now turning it into a more pad-like sound.
Looking for a good/decent vibrato-VST to get closer to a sound I have in mind (and not too easy, either. Very few vibrato-plugins around) and I think I found one. I'll get to it tonight, I guess.

About the clicks: these are generated glitches (a sinewave fed into Pulsecomb). I'm currently exploring what percussion is and want to find out how far I can go until a sound stops being rhythmic percussion.
This is close.

I'm not sure anymore if calling it "dubby" was a good idea. For me it's a useful reference (Basic Channel/Maurizio/Scion, Vladislav Delay or Frank Brettschneider might be referred to as "dubby", even if it isn't Dub), but I can see how it could lead to confusion (like calling Rob Hood "soulful, funky techno". It is, but it's in no way Soul or Funk). It's a bit shorter than calling it "laidback track with lots of deep basslines, cutting out channels en lots of delay-lines", though.
No confusion or annoyance intended.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments, they got me thinking, and I'm back to work.
I'll post a newer version later on.

Groet, Erik
Pop music delenda est.

I make music similar to yours and i'd like to post what i would change on your song.

Change the sine wave minor chord into a two or four-chord-pattern which repeats. Like that, you change annoyance into hypnotism.

I could identify the clicks as content of the rhythm, but i would add some more decay/release to them or send them through a reverb (Spring?) unit.
On your microscopic small samples you could use rhythmic (endless?) ping-pong delay and work on the delay line with a phaser/flanger/filter, whatever.
This would add a slight amount of dub to your track.

Do you know how to play on any kind of instrument? If so, you could solo along on the two-chords and the arpeggiator pattern of small samples for about one minute to add something like a climax to your song (though it might be unusual for minimalism, solos work well on that).

Overall i did like your song, but it's very strenous to hear. :wink:

did you know my new pearl is called ROSE :oops:

so this file (if only for the name) moves me
well actually i would keep it if it had no name
i love it. cries for a remix :)

tetraplan:
Actually I liked it. But I, too, think the testone was to monotonish and at some point percussive clicks were far too busy for my taste. Panning/delay effect was well.. effective.

Can we have more, please?-)
[ When chickens are cold, they roost in trees; when ducks are cold, they plunge into water ]

Thanks for the comments!

New version underway.
Changed the test-generators for 10Harmonics to create a ritcher sound, added some vibrato (from GSuite, it's a bit dirty) and fed that into a DLGranulator to mess it up.

I need to tweak some levels, I'll get to that tomorrow. Hopefully, I can upload it by then.

No chords yet, maybe in another version. I don't think I'll add any live-playing, it's not part of the concept. The tracks I make right now are supposed to be pure computer-music.

Initially, I liked the dryness of the track, but the addition of the 10Harmonics took some of that away already.

A later version might have some reverb added. I'm not to good adding the right amount of reverb, maybe i'll transfer the entire project to Sonar for finishing.
Right now I want to see how far I get by just using AudioMulch.
Heaps of praise for that little host.

Groet, Erik

PS: It's in the name, right? I used to be madly in love with a girl called Rose (Roos).
PPS: I like the remix-idea.
//starts pondering
Pop music delenda est.

I`m used to listening to this sort of thing from the old old "nonsuch" experimental music.

It was that duotone that got to me. :cry:
It worked for about a min or two for me...but after that couldn`t wait for it to fade.

Other then that..the pops are cool.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Alright, new version uploaded.
Changed the sines into a more padlike sound using 10Harmonics and some stuff to dirty it up.
Put TLs-Maximizer to work. Had to turn the bass down slightly to avoid distortion.
Still unfinished, but not as raw as the previous version.

Listen Here.

Groet, Erik
Pop music delenda est.

i like the revised version quite a bit more than the original ...

Just heard this (the new version) and I really, really like it. I dig where you're coming from aesthetically, and it sounds lush to my earholes.

The only thing I'd change is the ending. I think it'd sound great if you fizzled the percussion out and just ended with the drone (so it ends how it begins) to give the piece a sense of continuity. That's purely down to my own personal aesthetic sensibility of course, which likes drones to be utterly static, both conceptually and sonically, as though they're frozen in time/space ( :nutter:). I think that beginning and ending with the drone would give it a real air of permanence.

[/mouthshit]

Return to “Music Cafe”