July Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does "overseeing the process with the click of a mouse" rule out a self playing patch on a hardware modular synth?

(asking because this would be right up my alley, hehehe)

Go for it! Analog cyborgs are welcome! :D
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

How does playing/triggering notes with the computer keyboard fit in?

Atardecer wrote:How does playing/triggering notes with the computer keyboard fit in?
I would reckon this is out as it's realtime playing still, and the idea is to program everything (by whatever means) and not actually play it. I'll let the Doc decide though!

donkey tugger wrote:
Atardecer wrote:How does playing/triggering notes with the computer keyboard fit in?
I would reckon this is out as it's realtime playing still, and the idea is to program everything (by whatever means) and not actually play it. I'll let the Doc decide though!
I almost asked the same question, yesterday, but came to the same conclusion as you.

I wonder if it's cheating to use some kind of instrument to actually help compose the piece.

Also, I used a loop. I didn't use it directly, but processed it, bounced to audio, chopped it up, then entered the notes in by piano roll. I really only mined the loop for the particular hits/sounds. Can I assume that's ok?

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:
I almost asked the same question, yesterday, but came to the same conclusion as you.

I wonder if it's cheating to use some kind of instrument to actually help compose the piece.

Also, I used a loop. I didn't use it directly, but processed it, bounced to audio, chopped it up, then entered the notes in by piano roll. I really only mined the loop for the particular hits/sounds. Can I assume that's ok?
I reckon those are ok - you've still got to program what you've played, so in a way it's no different than humming a melody or something - the challenge is in the programming. Since you're only using the hits from the drumloop, I'd say that they're no different from any other drum samples.

donkey tugger wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:

I reckon those are ok - you've still got to program what you've played, so in a way it's no different than humming a melody or something - the challenge is in the programming. Since you're only using the hits from the drumloop, I'd say that they're no different from any other drum samples.
Thanks for weighing in. I tend to agree, but I still wanted to check :tu:

On the last Hair Thieves EP, we had a instrumental track called Ludworth.

That was written without playing (realistically) a note. I think we might have used a controller to turn beatstation on / off / switch groove.

It was our intention to see if we could create a song without playing any instruments.

Drums and bass were a groove from Toontrack's beatstation.
funk guitars were either NI Scarbee funk or midi files from the Cubase media bay.
Pretty much everything else was things in the same key from Cubase media bay.

It was an interesting exercise, in seeing if we could create a song without playing a single note..

donkey tugger wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:

The loop didn't fit, so I've started from scratch. So, no issue :wink:

In

this was a fun challenge !
. . . now that I've finished, excuse me - I've gotta go WAIL on my Stratocaster . . .
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Sorry for a stupid question perhaps, but in the rules, "singers" are mentioned.

So is it okay to submit a programmed 80's style pop song (with singing, that is) or is this only an instrumental challenge?
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Sorry for the late reply! Slicing up a pre-made drum loop to mine the hits and then programming them would be okay. Playing a melody with your computer keyboard in real time is not however as it's basically just using your keyboard as a MIDI controller keyboard at that point.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

SparkySpark wrote:...So is it okay to submit a programmed 80's style pop song (with singing, that is) or is this only an instrumental challenge?
I wondered about that also - is the human voice a "controller" ?
I can see both sides of that
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

DrApostropheX wrote:Sorry for the late reply! Slicing up a pre-made drum loop to mine the hits and then programming them would be okay. Playing a melody with your computer keyboard in real time is not however as it's basically just using your keyboard as a MIDI controller keyboard at that point.
Thanks for the clarification :tu:

Mister Natural wrote:
SparkySpark wrote:...So is it okay to submit a programmed 80's style pop song (with singing, that is) or is this only an instrumental challenge?
I wondered about that also - is the human voice a "controller" ?
I can see both sides of that
Okay, perhaps not so stupid then. :)

A song in the style of Erasure, Kraftwerk, Front, or early DM, that is, with everything programmed except for the vocals, would that be okay?

(If not, then it could perhaps be next month's contest.)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Return to “Music Cafe”