July Contest: Submissions "Cyborg"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cyborg :borg:

The perfect fusion of man and machine, nature and industry, the organic and the purely synthetic and, uh, 01100110 01101100 01100101 01110011 01101000 00100000 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 (I guess).

Prove your mettle (if not your flesh) as the perfect machine of the future by submitting a track this month in any musical style or genre but which is 100% programmed, sequenced, arpeggiated, wave-sequenced, algorithmically generated, etc. That is, every sound and part in your track should be generated by a machine with you overseeing the process with the click of a mouse (or your fingers, but only if you're using a touch laptop) or entering data via the computer keyboard (if you like using trackers).

No instruments played in meatspace, no controller keyboards, no drumpads, no... whatever the kids use nowadays. Touch-sensitive ribbon strips or thermosensitive gel pods, maybe? Well, NONE OF THAT! Enter your tracks the way Darth Vader and Inspector Gadget intended, by programming, typing, or mousing it in.

:borg: You, machine. Go. :borg:

Oh, and no time limit.... I'll leave it up to you to decide if your 15-minute evolving, algorithmically-generated composition is really what you want to post.

Submissions MUST follow these rules:

0 - Only sequenced/programmed/arpeggiated/algorithmically generated parts are to be used in your composition this month. None of those highfalutin "instruments" or "voices", not even controller keyboards or drumpads for data entry.

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 or .ogg format.

2 - A STRICT MAXIMUM of NO TIME LIMIT THIS MONTH. Woohoo!

3 - entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK (note: THIS MEANS A DOWNLOAD LINK) in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
1 - knockman
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
http://www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

4 - Submitted by early a.m. (US Central Time) Thursday, July 27, 2017.

5 - Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, arranged/recorded specifically for this contest).

6 - Your entry must be created audio plugins or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (eg "1707_SisterRobot_DomoArigatoMe.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune.

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - No resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. Please PM me for permission.

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m Sunday, May 1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to drapostrophex (that's me, Victor!) or ask in the gossip thread.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

https://soundcloud.com/clauderagonnet/sunshine
Chord sequence generated with Sundog and copied in a couple of Cthulhu sessions piloting a variety of free Kontakt libraries ( Nine Volt Audio Guitaret, Crypto Cypher Tongue Drum and Indian Harmonium,Audiomodern Echotone and Autodafe Acoustic Bass). Additionnal percussions generated with West Africa Library (Krin instrument).
Recorded in Live 9

Some semi-shoegaze slightly odd bollocks with faux Beetles chord thing at the end.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/07- ... bugger.mp3

No actual instruments or controllers fondled or caressed in the making of therein, but these VSTs;

Amplesound AGTC
Amplesound AGF
Amplesound AGT
Acoustic Samples Sunbird
NI MM Bass
NI Abbey Road 60s drummer
NI Drumlab
NI Session Strings (did I mention I bought Komplete last week...)
Sampled Directwave patch of my electric geetar

..and the usual effects overkill.

Some of the programming for the guitars was done in the AGTC strummer then recorded to midi, with some done in the FL piano roll. All the drums, bass and strings are piano roll with the latter using the Kontakt engine to generate the stabs. The 'solo' was done using the FL piano roll slide function.

I might go and play some actual guitar now.. :o
Last edited by donkey tugger on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grr - double post!

Every sound in the track was generated by one patch of Synth1.

https://soundcloud.com/slava-fiks/a-matter-of-dispute

https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/33238 ... YYO50NUGpJ
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/0717 ... use-bouche

Amuse Bouche (Happy Mouth)

LIVE9 environment
12 instances of Alchemy
Geist
one thousand efx (almost)

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

:borg: DGtal Xtasy :borg:

A challenging theme indeed...

Stuff abused :
Vocaloid CyberDiva (vocals)
Dr.Fusion2, USM (drums)
Minimogue VA, Waldorf Rocket (bass)
NI Bandstand, Crystal, Mr.Alias2, Aalto CM, Waldorf Rocket (Synth)
Glaceverb, Camel space, Camel Phat, LFX-1310, Kjarehus classic bundle, Fusion Field, Nuclear Cranium, Xcita

Digital Moonshot

All notes were input by hand, no instruments were harmed during the making of this song

DAW's
Reason 3
Tracktion 7

Plug-Ins
Addictive Drums & Keys
TAL Reverb-2 & Noisemaker
TDR Nova
Sampletank 3
Tracktion 4-Band EQ & Low/High Pass Filter
OldSkoolVerb
mdaEPiano
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

https://soundcloud.com/psyerichybrid/cy ... ne/s-LxlQY

Headphones recommended for best listening experience

Only programming nothing else.

Reaper:
Diva, Bazille, Hive, Repro-1, Zebra 2, Jup-8, CS-80, Mini-V
Minifilter, EQ, Stereo widener, blue Arp

Cyborg. Human and machine. A mechanical mind drifting through semi-organic landscapes. Spaces seemingly natural, but ultimately artificial.

Composed of various sequenced parts and Eurorack drones with automated modulations.

Equipment used: DSI Tempest and Pro 2, Elektron Octatrack, Waldorf Blofeld, and Modules from Verbos, Make Noise, Mutable Instruments, and Synthesis Technology.

Software used: Ableton Live 9, Eventide Blackhole, NI Replika XT, Izotope Neuron and Ozone 7.

https://soundcloud.com/bluerobotmusic/machine-dream

Best I could do in the time it took me to make a roast dinner.

Called Drawn in 2, since I abandoned drawn in 1, could never get the strings right and I was messing with Syntronik this morning and came up with this.

https://soundcloud.com/rollasoc/rollasoc-drawn-in-2

Drums - Sampletank 3 - Elecronic Tekno pack (freebie for buying iRig pads, never thought I'd find a use for them). Some light compression and EQ.

Bass - Syntronik - J60 - Vibrating Jazz Guitar
Bass 2 - Syntronik V80 - Industrial Bass (sidechained to duck when the other bass is playing.

Guitar - Syntronik - J60 - Vibrating Jazz guitar

Strings - Syntronik - J8 - Pleasent strings (2 lines with differing attacks and releases.

Other Synths - Syntronik - V80 - Noise Seq 1
- Syntronik - Galaxy - Grunged up organ.

Some EQ appiled to some of it (either Neutron if I was sidechaining / ducking frequencies or bog standard Cubase.

Master bus, PSP vintage warmer(Final mix 2 patch tweaked). Lurssen Mastering Console (EDM (Brighter) tweaked to make less bright).

This one's called rando.m; it's got 99 seconds but coherent ain't one.

>> rando.m ogg vorbis << | >> rando.m mp3 <<

The concept of this thingy is a mix of Markleford's random sample entry and You(TM)s contest mashup.

Stuff used:
  • This month's contest entries of ClaRago, donkey tugger, sfiks, Mister Natural, Laguna Rising, beanpole, Hellfog, bluerobot and rollasoc
  • GNU Octave
  • xkcd.com/221/
If anyone wants to point and laugh at my weak programming skills, have a gander at the rando.m script here.

Sorry wrong thread

Return to “Music Cafe”