Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
nineofkings
KVRAF

1698 posts since 9 Apr, 2011

Postby nineofkings; Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:09 pm Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

Some weird disco for your listening pleasure. Took a somewhat unorthodox, yelpy vocal approach.

https://soundcloud.com/nine-of-kings/cu ... nformation
jancivil
KVRAF

12857 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:58 pm Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

that's not really disco

is it?

it's nice, it's so transparent sonically, I can hear everything. I think the music goes against the grain of the message, which is also good. it's pretty sophisticated for pop, in addition to being able to hear everything. most of what I encounter is a big muddle in the middle and very wearing, but I'm not really trying to hear it anyway.
good work. it's a bit like my friend Schizobrainiac's less tortured stuff but not as insane.

do you know all the 'related to' at your page for this track is this very peculiar ironic stuff by one Father John Misty.
every time I hear something via Soundcloud I wonder how it really sounds, because their compression encoder thingy is not the best.
layzer
KVRAF

4481 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:19 pm Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

disco never had such a big kick. it focused more on the syncopated hats,
and... there were no cell phones to check in the 70s
still a well produced funky track :tu:

it reminds me more of 80s Heaven 17 than anything else. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
nineofkings
KVRAF

Postby nineofkings; Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:50 am Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

jancivil wrote:that's not really disco

is it?

You're right, it's not. I originally put "disco-influenced pop" but I didn't want KVRians to see the "p" word and assume it was somehow dumbed down. I could've put some pretentious label like "indietronica" but...eh

jancivil wrote:it's nice, it's so transparent sonically, I can hear everything. I think the music goes against the grain of the message, which is also good. it's pretty sophisticated for pop, in addition to being able to hear everything.

Thanks! That's all what I was going for. Gotta hear the groove to be able to feel the funk.

jancivil wrote:do you know all the 'related to' at your page for this track is this very peculiar ironic stuff by one Father John Misty.

Yes. They're the most recent tracks I've favorited on soundcloud, but I didn't think that'd mean they'd be the related tracks. So I guess we're stuck with em because the radio producer in me will never not find them hilarious.
Frantz
KVRAF

4244 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:42 pm Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

Brilliant! 9K is on fire this summer. :clap:

I think it has an 80s vibe which suits me fine. The mix is flawless!

Love the vocals which remind me of Bill Nelson in the early 80s: https://youtu.be/eNYOxzL9S6c

I think I'll listen again. :phones:
fastlanephil
KVRist

291 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:09 pm Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

Pretty interesting pop music. It does have an 80s vibe to it which may be partly your singing. The style and construction of this song reminds me a lot of the 70's band 10cc who were the rock/pop heir apparent to the Beatles for a far too few string of albums.

Another good one!
AlesisVi61
KVRist

376 posts since 16 Sep, 2014

Postby AlesisVi61; Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:53 pm Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

Definitely weird(in a good way)...definitely not disco,but there are hints of a disco flavoring.The beat(while sort of techno-ish) and the guitar riffs,is what gives this tune a disco "hue".Very creative and a great mix! :tu:
nineofkings
KVRAF

Postby nineofkings; Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:51 am Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

Frantz wrote:Brilliant! 9K is on fire this summer. :clap:

I think it has an 80s vibe which suits me fine. The mix is flawless!

Love the vocals which remind me of Bill Nelson in the early 80s: https://youtu.be/eNYOxzL9S6c

I think I'll listen again. :phones:

High praise, thank you!

I've never heard that Bill Nelson song but the vocal style is surprisingly similar. In the back of my mind I was thinking David Byrne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVv94T5LF0c
Allomerus
KVRAF

1726 posts since 28 Aug, 2012, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Allomerus; Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:14 am Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

Can see where you got the Talking Heads idea from...
Sounds great! Nice quirky sounds and put together well.
Enjoyed.
:)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.
seismic1
KVRAF

8512 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:31 pm Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

I can hear Frantz' Bill Nelson vocal connection, and the verse definitely sounds like "Speaking in Tongues" era Talking heads, although I think I was thinking more of "Girlfriend is Better". Whatever the truth of these statements, I think this is your best written and produced song yet. It's quirky, catchy and funky.

Good work :)
nineofkings
KVRAF

Postby nineofkings; Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:52 pm Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

fastlanephil wrote:Pretty interesting pop music. It does have an 80s vibe to it which may be partly your singing. The style and construction of this song reminds me a lot of the 70's band 10cc who were the rock/pop heir apparent to the Beatles for a far too few string of albums.

Another good one!

Thank you. 10cc is an interesting comparison. I usually think of them as balladeers, but maybe that impression is totally off from not having lived through it.
hyp
KVRist

50 posts since 15 Sep, 2007, from Kiel at the Baltic Sea

Postby hyp; Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 pm Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

Reminds me of Everything Everything and Friendly Fires in a good way :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLM30laoOaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmuGOkqr200
justin3am
KVRAF

10087 posts since 7 May, 2006, from Southern California

Postby justin3am; Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:04 pm Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

I like the combination of slightly demented vibe and up-beat funkiness. The vocals sound well recorded; what was your setup/signal chain?
Thanks for sharing!
annode
KVRAF

5982 posts since 28 Mar, 2003, from Location: Location

Postby annode; Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:52 am Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

Yeah, well recorded/processed.
I thought David Byrne right off. Not a fan of that 'island' sound Byrne adopted, and is emulated here somewhat, but you made a very good production w/ good singing and playing performances.
It's a complete song, that's rare in the cafe, big praises for that alone!

That break at the middle could be lost and maybe find another way to connect the two sections.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x
nineofkings
KVRAF

Postby nineofkings; Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:35 am Re: Weird disco - Curtains Drawn (Information)

justin3am wrote:I like the combination of slightly demented vibe and up-beat funkiness. The vocals sound well recorded; what was your setup/signal chain?
Thanks for sharing!

Slightly demented yet up-beat is the intended vibe. Vocal chain was the very affordable AKG 100 condenser mic -> fast track -> a noise gate and a bunch of compression, both wide-band and multi-band. And a little delay slapped on top.
Next

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe