Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

3637 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:41 pm "worth the while" - ambient/soundtrack piece by dysamoria

i accidentally created an ambient sound that reminded me of the ambient background sound in NIN The Fragile's "The day the world went away", so i created a song around it... which does kinda start out like TDTWWA (loud guitars), but it settles into its own thing after a bit.

It's slow moving and i'm okay with that, but i've been wondering whether or not to add vocals to it. Nothing has come to me in the six months since finishing this demo, so here it is for your listening (and hopefully enjoyment).

https://soundcloud.com/dysamoria/worth- ... 12-31-2016

Sorry for not offering feedback on anyone else's stuff in a while. i promise to spend a day on that soon. So if no one feels like listening and commenting, i totally understand :-) It's just that the "NIN-like bands" thread made me want to show this off :oops: i hate doing self-promotion, but maybe it's necessary?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
annode
KVRAF

5891 posts since 28 Mar, 2003, from Location: Location

Postby annode; Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:34 am Re: "worth the while" - ambient/soundtrack piece by dysamoria

That wasn't bad.
I liked the guitar textures. It recorded well too, not blaring or scratchy like one might expect from distortion guitar. It suites me as the start-up or winding down of some tune, but in itself it doesn't stand up alone.
If you got into some more interesting directions in atmospheres with this, I would be up to listening to it for much longer a length.

It's a shame you have to ask forgiveness for not reviewing others music in order to get some feedback.
It shouldn't be like that, and i'm not sure it is. I think ppl will ignore you no matter what you do(we).
I haven't posted anything in a long time, but hell if I sit here and think whether my hand would be bitten if I hold it out. Ppl come around eventually if your up here long enough...or maybe not.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

8601 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:47 am Re: "worth the while" - ambient/soundtrack piece by dysamoria

Really enjoyed this :tu: Not sure I'd add any lyrics, though melodic/wailing might work. I was also air-drumming like an air-drumming bitch, so there might be some room, there.

Might end up jamming along to this :tu:
Montag
KVRist

35 posts since 4 Sep, 2016

Postby Montag; Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:04 pm Re: "worth the while" - ambient/soundtrack piece by dysamoria

Great stuff!
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

3637 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:43 am Re: "worth the while" - ambient/soundtrack piece by dysamoria

Thanks, everyone :-)

Annode: As for asking forgiveness, i don't think it's absolutely necessary or that there's much scorekeeping going on, but i did want to acknowledge the community and the interaction aspect.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
justin3am
KVRAF

10045 posts since 7 May, 2006, from Southern California

Postby justin3am; Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:57 pm Re: "worth the while" - ambient/soundtrack piece by dysamoria

Boy, I remember picking up the single for TDTWWA the day it came out because I was so ravenous for new NIN. It totally blew me away as it was so different from The Downward Spiral or anything else. As much as I love the early NIN stuff, I tend to take more inspiration from the later stuff.

Anyway, this totally could have been an outtake from The Fragile. I really enjoyed it, particularly the packed sounds. The lower pitched plucks almost sounds like a bass uke, but maybe it's just a pitch shifted acoustic gtr? The droney guitars in the beginning sound great.

Thanks for sharing!
Frantz
KVRAF

4202 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:22 pm Re: "worth the while" - ambient/soundtrack piece by dysamoria

Richly textured with interesting sounds. I especially liked the mellotron-ish flute sound.

I don't think it needs vocals. It works as is. The mix is very good.

Enjoyable! :tu:
hyp
KVRist

35 posts since 15 Sep, 2007, from Kiel at the Baltic Sea

Postby hyp; Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 pm Re: "worth the while" - ambient/soundtrack piece by dysamoria

The opening is gripping... The rest lulls the listener into a (not false) sense of security. I would prefer to have it false-bottomed. There is just no false bottom here, it just stays nice and clean.
seismic1
KVRAF

8486 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 pm Re: "worth the while" - ambient/soundtrack piece by dysamoria

If you didn't post this stuff, we wouldn't get to hear it. I think there are a few people around here who appreciate it. The last track you posted ("We, Each Other") was excellent, and this could certainly sit alongside it on an album.

The distorted guitar intro is great and the way it gives way to the drone is very cool. I wasn't sure about the use of the mandolin when I listened to it yesterday, but after a couple more listens, I have got used to it being there. It's a good fit. I loved the flute. On a superficial level, it sounds quite re-assuring and "nice", but as with a lot of these 'tron? flutey sounds, there is some degree of menace there as well.

Good work :)

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe