[Progressive House] Kyrpto - One Way Journey

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been out of the loop lately and this is the first song I've made in weeks. Let me know what you think!

Edit: Added Mastered version
https://soundcloud.com/kyrptomusic/one-way-journey

Cheers!
Last edited by Kyrpto on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

No track there?

The link should be working.

Nope - just tried it again.

I get this message on SC:

"This track was not found. Maybe it has been removed — Learn more"

Sorry. How about now?

That's done it...displaying properly as well on KVR now.

Good combination of sounds in the opening section + plenty of energy and drive from that arpeggio.

(note on the opening arpeggio - I might try and tweak a couple of notes in it..didn't quite flow for me. Also - consider leaving gaps in the arp at this point in the song...just using the full version later on)?

Lead melody that enters at 45 seconds...sounds a little thin maybe? A second layer might just lift the sound...something with a little bit more sustain? Melody works well though.

I would possibly experiment with a totally contrasting section - new chords further away from that main sequence?

Pads throughout - think about taking some 'bottom' out with a high pass filter / EQ? They do get in the way of the bass a little bit, muddying up the mix a touch.

Some good ideas in there and plenty of rhythmic groove / drive from the arps / drums / bass etc.

Thanks for the feedback! Any idea on what to layer the lead with or do you just mean duplicating it with different mixing etc...?

Also any idea how to make a tighter kick like in this track? Is it just a matter of layering?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi3Ktmr9R_Q

Lead sound - yes, I meant a second layer with a different sound playing the same tune. Something with a bit more beef and sustain to it? I would start experimenting with sawtooth based lead sounds, but other ideas might work as well. The sound you have is good as it's bright and clear to rise above the mix, but it lacks a bit of body maybe?

Kick drum - getting that tight, punchy kick sound...

Yes - layering different kicks is important sometimes, especially in dance music, but you should also think about:

EQ - your kick has a lot more low and high frequency in it than the one in Lily....try a low cut at round 25 Hz to 40 Hz and a high cut around anywhere from 8kHz - 16kHz?

COMPRESSION -try compressing the kick drum by around 2dB to 6dB with a ratio of something close to 4:1. To preserve the transient of the kick you'll need to tweak the attack time on the compressor...3ms to 20ms depending on the transient itself.

For the tail of the kick, each kick drum has its own length therefore the you should play around with the release time of the compression to find out what sounds best on your kick drum...just make sure it's returned to 0dB before the next one hits!

STEREO IMAGE - that kick should definitely be in mono! Avoids any phase issues.

TRANSIENT SHAPERS - these can be useful to tighten up the start and end of the kick sound.

PARALLEL PROCESSING - for that perfect balance of the dry signal and wet signal.

Hope that helps?

I really like the melody, great work.
Kick drum punch sounds fine, a lowcut filter might make it punch more, if you think it has too much sub boom.

ChamMusic wrote:Lead sound - yes, I meant a second layer with a different sound playing the same tune. Something with a bit more beef and sustain to it? I would start experimenting with sawtooth based lead sounds, but other ideas might work as well. The sound you have is good as it's bright and clear to rise above the mix, but it lacks a bit of body maybe?

Yes - layering different kicks is important sometimes, especially in dance music, but you should also think about:

EQ - your kick has a lot more low and high frequency in it than the one in Lily....try a low cut at round 25 Hz to 40 Hz and a high cut around anywhere from 8kHz - 16kHz?

COMPRESSION -try compressing the kick drum by around 2dB to 6dB with a ratio of something close to 4:1. To preserve the transient of the kick you'll need to tweak the attack time on the compressor...3ms to 20ms depending on the transient itself.

For the tail of the kick, each kick drum has its own length therefore the you should play around with the release time of the compression to find out what sounds best on your kick drum...just make sure it's returned to 0dB before the next one hits!

TRANSIENT SHAPERS - these can be useful to tighten up the start and end of the kick sound.

PARALLEL PROCESSING - for that perfect balance of the dry signal and wet signal.

Hope that helps?
Wow that's a lot of good info! I think the layering will be tricky but I'll definitely dedicate some time to that. Thanks for the help! Cheers!

ChamMusic wrote:Lead sound - yes, I meant a second layer with a different sound playing the same tune. Something with a bit more beef and sustain to it? I would start experimenting with sawtooth based lead sounds, but other ideas might work as well. The sound you have is good as it's bright and clear to rise above the mix, but it lacks a bit of body maybe?

Hope that helps?
Hey took your advice and made some revisions. Check it out and let me know if it sounds better!

https://soundcloud.com/kyrptomusic/one- ... ed/s-IT4z1

Kick seems much more controlled to me now. If you were after the 'Lily' sound, then you've achieved it for me...much more integrated into the whole mix now rather than dominating it.

Same goes for that lead sound - the layering has helped it to blend much more effectively, but without losing its punch.

Remember - I'm only giving suggestions, not golden rules - Getting the mix right is always a tricky one and every track can be soooo different!

Just made another revision with a less busy intro arp.

https://soundcloud.com/kyrptomusic/one- ... ed/s-9wli3

Sounds like a 'journey' into disco at some passages. But I think the synthlines are well made and uplifting. Arrangement is good also. Very diversified all in all.
Greetings
NR

Kyrpto wrote:Just made another revision with a less busy intro arp.

https://soundcloud.com/kyrptomusic/one- ... ed/s-9wli3
For me, the less busy intro works more effectively. Maybe the arp could then develop a little when the kick comes in? Not sure.

Return to “Music Cafe”