[Electronic] Gravity

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been editing this down from a longer version of the track that I finished a couple of months back. I've been trying to master to -14 LUFS, so it seems a bit quieter than other tracks on Soundcloud. I hope you like it, but comments are greatly appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/looneyjetman/gravity-edit

edit...

This is the final version, implementing some of the suggestions made by Annode (panning elements in the mid-section and dipping the levels slightly to help some sounds stand out more) and Frantz (thinning out some of the elements in the track to make it clearer). I made a slight alteration to the very end too.

https://soundcloud.com/looneyjetman/gra ... -final-mix
Last edited by andrew71 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahhh nice, another wise soul choosing dynamics over loudness.

this was a well produced piece of electronica, pads, arps, leads, bass, drums
it had it all and nicely arranged. enjoyed, Sir! :phones:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thank you!

I can see why layzer liked it, the sound design is very similar to his :hihi:. That being said, it's pretty spot on. Trancey composition with some vintage electronic sounds.

Thanks for listening and commenting nineofkings.

The second half really grabbed me.
I would recommend slight instrument panning movement from 2:03 on to percussion entrance.
@ 2:59 perc start, I would recommend bringing the total mix down a db or two but keeping the perc where it is. Riding down just slightly on each seqr & lead filters (bringing them under the perc more from 2:59, then riding them up very slowly for 8 bars or so. )

I think this will add a lot to what now sounds somewhat static.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Thanks for the suggestions, annode. I'll give that a go.

This is cool. Carefully crafted with lots of classic sounds. The way the lead dies away dropping in pitch is especially nice.

My only complaint is there are too many sounds chittering away at all frequencies. Even though all the individual sounds are very good and they occupy different parts of the frequency range, the effect is fatiguing on multiple listens. I would rather have less of the rhythmic chittering parts and more space for the key sounds to breathe.

Good fun :)
Blissful memories of late 80s/early 90s computer gaming..

Frantz wrote:My only complaint is there are too many sounds chittering away at all frequencies. Even though all the individual sounds are very good and they occupy different parts of the frequency range, the effect is fatiguing on multiple listens. I would rather have less of the rhythmic chittering parts and more space for the key sounds to breathe.
Thanks for your comments. I recognise that I am often guilty of always throwing everything into a track, including the kitchen sink. I might try stripping this track back a bit as you suggest.

Hey Frantz...he'll be "giving my suggestion a go" before he "might strip back the track a bit as you suggested"! :x :lol:

All suggestions are welcome! I've produced a fair few tracks (for me) over the last couple of months and I'm getting a bit fatigued with some of them, so I'll consider any ideas.

andrew71 wrote:All suggestions are welcome! I've produced a fair few tracks (for me) over the last couple of months and I'm getting a bit fatigued with some of them, so I'll consider any ideas.
It's one track you posted. Frantz and I were gracious enough to share our (skilled)thoughts with you. We represent two of the skilled creators at KvR and a good source for objective opinion for anyone who can only know their own subjective knowledge of their music. It takes seconds to know whether a suggestion has merit.(consideration) You should know then whether you will do it or you won't.

We are here at KvR Cafe to listen to and help people with their music with suggestions if it strikes us. Most people just bull shit their way around saying they're really not interested in what others have to say unless it fully complimentary. "I'll consider all suggestions" is that bull shit. Just say you'll do it because your curious what it might sound like and repost it...or just say thanks ,but no thanks...I'm not going to do it.

This rant goes for everyone who does this.

Both of the suggestions are interesting. The track is a shortened version of the original, which I edited down in a few hours. I'm happy with it as it stands, but I have listened to it hundreds of times over and know it like the back of my hand.

Your suggestion about introducing panning elements during the middle section I intend to try. The percussion in that section, assuming that you mean the high-pitched clave-like sound is something that I wasn't entirely happy with in the mix. I <i>know</i> that it is there, but I think it is a bit obscured in the mix, so your suggestion about taking the other elements down slightly and automating the levels is also interesting, assuming that I have understood your recommendation.

Likewise, Frantz's suggestion about there being too many elements is something that I already recognise as a potential weakness in my compositions.

No offence was intended and I genuinely appreciate everyone who has taken the time to listen and comment. I do intend to modify the track further and will post an updated version if I feel it improves on the original.

Thank you Andrew for your honesty and clarity.
Knowing you do not need to change anything just because someone suggests something, I am happy to hear you have considered trying them...and telling us so.

I wish this sort of response was more common.

Return to “Music Cafe”