80s synth-pop/retro with Korg DW-8000, Roland JX-8P, Juno 2 and Akai S1000

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

More retrowave synth-pop with references to PSB, ELO and more. All done with hardware synths and samplers from the 80s.

https://soundcloud.com/espenkraft/espen ... -the-score

Good song! There are lots of nice details in the arrangement that make this enjoyable.

Should a song about settling a score sound so cheerful? I think the snare is too prominent in the mix.

The autotune vocals are fighting against the 80s feel. Let's have the 'Detuned' remix :)

Frantz wrote:Good song! There are lots of nice details in the arrangement that make this enjoyable.

Should a song about settling a score sound so cheerful? I think the snare is too prominent in the mix.
Thanks! Valid point about the cheerfulness vs settling the score. On the other hand, I enjoy opposites in arrangement vs the subject matter myself when I listen to music. :)

Richard deHove wrote:The autotune vocals are fighting against the 80s feel. Let's have the 'Detuned' remix :)
My reason for the noticeable autotune is that I found the opposite just didn't feel right. Ironically. I liked the slight bended feel of some of the notes I sing.
If you listen to some of my other released tracks I don't always go for this kind of vocal sound, but here it seemed to be the right thing even if it goes against a 80s vocal sound obviously. Thanks.

This is a nice little retro thing.

You could - not that it bothers me personally - try a vocoder instead of autotune for more period authenticity.

But isn't it more interesting to give it a twist?

sjm wrote:This is a nice little retro thing.

You could - not that it bothers me personally - try a vocoder instead of autotune for more period authenticity.

But isn't it more interesting to give it a twist?
Interesting that you mention a vocoder. I make use of vocoders quite often. I have several tracks where I use a vocoder exclusivly for the vocals.
I don't think it would work optimally here, but the little "bend" in the AT due to a fast correction setting is something I really liked, 80s or not. :)

Thanks!

Adore it. Great work thanks..

phreaque wrote:Adore it. Great work thanks..
Thank you so much! :)

Return to “Music Cafe”