80s synthwave

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Made a tune in the style of classic 80s synthpop / synthwave.

What do you guys think?

Here's a YouTube link (It's on Spotify, iTunes, Deezer etc too) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1siH1ebSOI

:tu:

Bansaw wrote::tu:
Thanks a lot Bansaw ! :-)

i like it, retro and catchy. it even has an 80's mastered sound to it. here is a more modern punchy amputated clip version in LAYZERSOUND.

https://app.box.com/s/oyk1mc9imt8finen7hvp0py9sczfxkkb
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:i like it, retro and catchy. it even has an 80's mastered sound to it. here is a more modern punchy amputated clip version in LAYZERSOUND.

https://app.box.com/s/oyk1mc9imt8finen7hvp0py9sczfxkkb
Great remaster Layzer ! Love it ! :tu:

I sent you a PM :-)

Comments ? :-)

The computer drums are bit dull, otherwise it's a nice track.
Greetings
HM

htcnext2 wrote:The computer drums are bit dull, otherwise it's a nice track.
Greetings
HM
Thkanks ! :-D

Well, I tired to mix the drums in an 80s fashion. So not putting the kick so loud as is so common today . And have a mor edominant snare. But oh well.... :-)

There's a lot of potential here but also room for improvement.

Layzer managed to inject some life into the mix which is kind of dull.

Those loud clip clopping hi hats are distracting. They should be quieter and the pattern could be more interesting.

There seems to be a disconnect between the bouncy disco of the backing track and the wistful vocals. They don't mesh that well IMO.

The chorus vocals seem like they need more instrumental support from the backing track. Currently, there is not much of a difference between the verse and chorus instrumentation other than a chord change.

Frantz wrote:There's a lot of potential here but also room for improvement.

Layzer managed to inject some life into the mix which is kind of dull.

Those loud clip clopping hi hats are distracting. They should be quieter and the pattern could be more interesting.

There seems to be a disconnect between the bouncy disco of the backing track and the wistful vocals. They don't mesh that well IMO.

The chorus vocals seem like they need more instrumental support from the backing track. Currently, there is not much of a difference between the verse and chorus instrumentation other than a chord change.
Oh, well....what can I say ? :-)

Would you like to make a re-mix (re-make, different, alternative version) ? :-)
I wouldn' tmind. I like the stuff you've on SoundCloud !

Sorry, I don't have time to do remixes.

Hi again guys ! :-)

There is now a re-mix version of this song. A bit more modern soudning drums. Don't know what version is nicest. What do you think guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmdtroPlPYw

I like it! :tu:

Very much amongst the styles I listened to as a teenager. For me (and I mean this in only a constructive way), the weak link in the song is the vocals. They actually remind me of my own vocals to an extent, sort of flat and lifeless, not bad per se, just not enough to lift what could otherwise be a fine pop song.

More often than not these days, I decide not to bother with vocals as my voice seldom does anything good to a song (maybe I should try Vocaloid :clown:

jacqueslacouth wrote:I like it! :tu:

Very much amongst the styles I listened to as a teenager. For me (and I mean this in only a constructive way), the weak link in the song is the vocals. They actually remind me of my own vocals to an extent, sort of flat and lifeless, not bad per se, just not enough to lift what could otherwise be a fine pop song.

More often than not these days, I decide not to bother with vocals as my voice seldom does anything good to a song (maybe I should try Vocaloid :clown:
Thank you fro a very good, nice and honest review. This is truly very appreciated !

Personaly I see a lot of issues. I guess that is natural since I've heard this piece one or two zillion times. I'm now talking of the original version of this song (see my first post in this thread).

What I do like, to start with tat, is that the song has a quite traditional pop structure. That said since I do mis a bit of that in many tracks I've heard here at KVR. I'm also happy with the sounds. I did try to make it sounds early/mid 80s. Both sound wise and mixing wise. Especially with mixing of the drums. In "modern" ears I guess the sanre is to loud and heavy and the kick is to low. But as far as I can recall that was how it used to sound back then. That loud punchy kick and thin snare I think came along with the Detroit House wave in the end of the 80s and got "worse" with the Euro Techno in the 90s.

However, and to get to the bad parts, when I listen to the song today when I've some distance to it I hear quite a few issues that I didn't noticed whken I was in the middle of the making and mixing of thsi song.

The most, to me, obvious issue is, if you listen to the pice as a whole, that there is a beginning but right after that there's a long transport that, after a few listens, feels flat and even a bit boring. All the way until the end of the song when it lifts with that pitch / key rice. So in my ears it's the end part of the song that is the best part. Also vocla wise.

And if you ar into small details. There's an open hi-hat that peaks out here and there. Often on the 1st bar of each 8 bar section.

As for vocaloid. Ah, I don't know. I would rather do an instrumental piece. It feels that making a full song with Vocaloid would be extremely time consuming. :-)

Now, since you made me curious, where can I hear you singing? :-)

Cheers ! :tu:

Nice production values you put into this. Sounds like a lot of work!

I like the sound of the vocals, they're nice and clear but not enough to drown out the background music.
:borg:

Return to “Music Cafe”