1968 Pt 11 - Just Browsing

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gone
Last edited by Googly Smythe on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

It sort of sounds like it could be from a movie’s ending credits in that time period. Pretty relaxing. I guess stero was still fairly new and they did some “interesting” mixing then.

Take the Steve Miller Band song Roll With It from the 1968 Children Of The Future album. As I recall the guitar solo was panned left to right and back again or something like that. The reissue eliminated that quirkiness and it stays to the left.

Good work!

I'm really loving this track man. Nice work.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

DLd the .wav, thanks. Listening to it on my bedroom full size Bose 601`s.
Will make good practice for doing a stereo master from this .wav since it's so raw.

Didn't care for the distortion i could hear from any of the keys. Sounded squelchy on the organ leslie and mellotron and sometimes like distortion from an loose electrical connection or the distortion you get from over-driving a transistor. I heard some variation from each keyboard. What was this?
Liked the horns introduction. Bass sounded like it was being played by tapping.For more realistic finger style, shorten each notes sustain and it will sound like natural finger muting. I'm an old bass player.
Hat was too static, but now I'm just nit-picking.
Nice production all the same, but better without the dirt, IMHO.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Thanks for all the comments/critiques. A more considered response will come when I recover from the flu. :(
:tu:

Googly Smythe wrote:Thanks for all the comments/critiques. A more considered response will come when I recover from the flu. :(
Sorry to hear that. Take is easy for awhile.
Epidemics are plenty here in the states. I'm being very mindful of my surroundings when I go out.
Take care Googly.

fastlanephil wrote:It sort of sounds like it could be from a movie’s ending credits in that time period. Pretty relaxing. I guess stero was still fairly new and they did some “interesting” mixing then.

Take the Steve Miller Band song Roll With It from the 1968 Children Of The Future album. As I recall the guitar solo was panned left to right and back again or something like that. The reissue eliminated that quirkiness and it stays to the left.

Good work!
Thanks for liking!

I like to think I could write theme music, just one of my many fantasies!

The stereo thing was a last minute choice - I just used Cubases combined panners to "mono-ise" each track then pan them.

BassMasterK wrote:I'm really loving this track man. Nice work.
Thanks for liking it. :tu:

By the way, I listened to your track (and the album it's from) - now I'm envious!

annode wrote:DLd the .wav, thanks. Listening to it on my bedroom full size Bose 601`s.
Will make good practice for doing a stereo master from this .wav since it's so raw.

Didn't care for the distortion i could hear from any of the keys. Sounded squelchy on the organ leslie and mellotron and sometimes like distortion from an loose electrical connection or the distortion you get from over-driving a transistor. I heard some variation from each keyboard. What was this?
Liked the horns introduction. Bass sounded like it was being played by tapping.For more realistic finger style, shorten each notes sustain and it will sound like natural finger muting. I'm an old bass player.
Hat was too static, but now I'm just nit-picking.
Nice production all the same, but better without the dirt, IMHO.
I'm going to blame all the sonic deficiencies on the cold I had at the weekend (which then turned into the 'flu) - that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

More seriously, there's probably too much NLS and Satin causing that distrortion.

Not sure what variation you can hear in the keyboard - do you mean the e-piano? That has an instance of BassDude on it, with the input turned down low. And I automated the modulation wheel. All the keyboard tracks have a lot of velocity info, to add a bit of life.

Did a basic 2 bar hi-hat beat then forgot to tweak it. :dog:

The bass - I turned up the fret-noise parameter. The default is 20%, I think I pushed up to 40%. Maybe too much?

To be honest, I spent about 10 days ( :o ) trying to get the e-piano notes just so, then just wanted to finish the damn thing. (Note to myself: be more patient!)

I may do a re-mix next week, once I get my ears back. :tu:
annode wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:Thanks for all the comments/critiques. A more considered response will come when I recover from the flu. :(
Sorry to hear that. Take is easy for awhile.
Epidemics are plenty here in the states. I'm being very mindful of my surroundings when I go out.
Take care Googly.
Thanks for these kind words. Much appreciated. The worst is past.

Nice tune and groove. Pleasant ambiance and sounds

Real happy you're in the recovery stages. 8) I know, the flu has never been known to improve one's hearing. haha Maybe you'll be making some horn blowing music the next few weeks. haha :wink:
I heard some variation from each keyboard. What was this?
I meant to say I heard different variations of distortion on each keyboard at times.
The bass - I turned up the fret-noise parameter. The default is 20%, I think I pushed up to 40%. Maybe too much?
It's more about realism with fingering timing. Going from one sustained bass note right to another and doing that too often is not what bass players do. Mainly, players put rests in between notes for timing expression. Depending where the notes are along the fret board may also play a roll. I know sustaining notes is common in your musical style. For more realism with electric bass, I'd recommend using rests.
To be honest, I spent about 10 days ( :o ) trying to get the e-piano notes just so, then just wanted to finish the damn thing. (Note to myself: be more patient!)
That e-piano seq was really cool! Worth all the time spent on it. As for rushing the rest...the Cafe is the place for unfinished business. It's become more of a display window these days, but used to be a place just to try out our ideas and get feedback.

Bit of the Brian Auger about this one, eh?

sjm wrote:Bit of the Brian Auger about this one, eh?
My all-time favourite organist! Ever since I saw him on TOTP in '67 playing on Wheels On Fire. Along with an immediate crush on Julie Driscoll. :love:

Googly Smythe wrote:My all-time favourite organist!
So more than just a coincidence then :)
Googly Smythe wrote: Ever since I saw him on TOTP in '67 playing on Wheels On Fire. Along with an immediate crush on Julie Driscoll. :love:
That was unfortunately way before my time. I discovered Brian Auger when rooting through my dad's old LP collection several decades ago in my teens. Was an instant fan, and his take on A Day in the Life inspired me to come up with my own rendition that sort of works for solo piano (yes even the orchestra part).

Googly Smythe wrote:
My all-time favourite organist! Ever since I saw him on TOTP in '67 playing on Wheels On Fire. :hihi:
Googly Smythe wrote: Along with an immediate crush on Julie Driscoll. :love:
:tu: :wink:

Return to “Music Cafe”