Updated final version with vocals (Not a ) :) Doom Metal Track

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sjm wrote:If you just put more reverb on the drums, they will sound like a drum machine in the room. They need more variation in velocity, timing and not always the exact same beat over each section.

The good thing is you already have a good beat, you just need to breathe more life into it. Make variations of what you've got, shake things up, take away a few hits, add a couple more (not just where the fills are) and it will sound a lot better for it. In fact, in some parts, you've done this already - like at 4:30. It's still a bit static, but a lot more lively and evolving with the music.

And ... make general velocity changes before you clone everything so you are already in the ballpark and don't need to do it a gazillion times. Add hits after cloning so that you are varying each clip a bit!

Guitars sound good, it's quite obvious you're a guitar guy and not a drummer ;)
Thanks, definitely, not a drummer :D

I started to changed the velocity and in reaper I humanized the beats.

I am also working on vocals :lol:

Thanks for the feedback!

:D

Thanks all for your help.

I did follow some of the guidance. The drums are not great but it was the best I could do :)

WARNING *****The track has vocals and they are explicit******

Ear muffs may be needed

You can listen here:
https://soundcloud.com/the_synthetic_aw ... he-trinity

and if you like it you can download it free here:
https://thesyntheticawakening.bandcamp. ... he-trinity

:D

Drums are an improvement, and the voice makes it a complete song. No ear muffs required.

You've done a really good job of making the drums more interesting. I hear 1 or 2 hits that were a little loud on the unaccented beats (snare) and 1 fill that had a slight stutter in it. But I think I'm sometimes too perfectionist when it comes to drum programming. These are minor quibbles that shouldn't detract from the greater picture.

If you want to improve your drum programming in general - and you obviously have a natural feel for what the drums should be doing - I would strongly recommend 2 things:
  1. If you haven't ever done it, play the drums for 30-60 minutes (or more regularly if possible). Learn the basic rock beat (kick on 1 and 3 (and 3.5 if you like), hats on 8ths, snare on 2 and 4 (and 4.5 if you like). Then experiment with some fills, grooving on the hi hats and whatever comes to mind. What you want is to get an idea of the movements a drummer is making. This will allow you to "feel" the beat when programming it and flow with the groove. You don't need to be a good drummer, just have a basic idea of what is possible and how it sounds. What each hand/foot is doing and can do etc.
  2. Then watch some drummer tutorials on YouTube, e.g. Drumeo or something like that. Watch the drummer's hand positions carefully. You should notice that many of the hits are played very close to the drums, there's not a lot of movement. Only the main accents (e.g. 1 2 3 and 4) tend to have stronger hits, and therefore more movement with the stick to give it momentum. Those accents are what make drums groove. And being able to "feel" what the drummer is doing while you watch will help you internalise the beats for when you want to program something. If you can "feel" how far the hand is moving, you know exactly what velocity that hit is. And that makes programming one hell of a lot easier and quicker.

Good job!

You might also want to update your first post in this thread to let people know the latest version has vox and isn't in the OP. Or better yet, add the link to the new version to the first post.

Thank you for the kind words and the advice.

I do my best to try to study beats in songs. Especially bands that used drum machines.

I'll keep trying learn.

Again thank you very much.

Mike

Return to “Music Cafe”