Bolero

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fastlanephil wrote:
experimental.crow wrote:in your lead-in post , you allude to Ravel ...

Ravels' Bolero is particularly distinguished by a soft , slow build up
w/ gradual introduction of elements as the theme is repeated , and hthe volume and
intensity builds to its majestic conclusion .

Your offering seems to bypass that approach , and jumps into the pool
waist deep ... that approach loses me , as i came away w/ the impression
that i had heard everything on offer after the first pass ...
that , and the 4/4 left me unenthused ...

that being said , you certainly have the motifs required to revise the piece
and offer a differing structure for our regard ...
I just mentioned Ravel’s Bolero as a rough reference. Ravel’s Bolero was probably a little monotonous structurly. His self imposed challenge was to provide interest for as long as possible using the instruments of the orchestra to provide the changes needed to maintain that interest. His experiment was a success. It’s not something one is encouraged to emulate in the schools or so I’ve heard.

I’ve already run this by some neo classical and soundtrack composers on another forum and I think it is basically done except for some slight modifications.

There is also Beck’s Bolero from Jeff Beck’s 1968 Truth album which was written by his friend Jimmy Page. There is a lot of tension release in the middle of this Bolero with a rock out 4/4 and then the energy is upped for a short repeat of the first part and then a finale of sorts.

Kind of similar to Magnetic Fields 5, but really cheery :D
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

fastlanephil wrote:
experimental.crow wrote:in your lead-in post , you allude to Ravel ...

Ravels' Bolero is particularly distinguished by a soft , slow build up
w/ gradual introduction of elements as the theme is repeated , and hthe volume and
intensity builds to its majestic conclusion .

Your offering seems to bypass that approach , and jumps into the pool
waist deep ... that approach loses me , as i came away w/ the impression
that i had heard everything on offer after the first pass ...
that , and the 4/4 left me unenthused ...

that being said , you certainly have the motifs required to revise the piece
and offer a differing structure for our regard ...
I just mentioned Ravel’s Bolero as a rough reference. Revel’s Bolero was probably a little monotonous structurly. His self imposed challenge was to provide interest for as long as possible using the instruments of the orchestra to provide the changes needed to maintain that interest. His experiment was a success. It’s not something one is encouraged to emulate in the schools or so I’ve heard.

I’ve already run this by some neo classical and soundtrack composers on another forum and I think it is basically done except for some slight modifications.

There is also Beck’s Bolero from Jeff Beck’s 1968 Truth album which was written by his friend Jimmy Page. There is a lot of tension release in the middle of this Bolero with a rock out 4/4 and then the energy is upped for a short repeat of the first part and then a finale of sorts.
it would appear that i have completely misconstrued your
Ravel reference ...

Return to “Music Cafe”