The Mysterious Case of the Bell Tower and the Cross

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote:holy shit :o
that's impressive.

thank you for sharing :)
'Holy shit'...that's not even that funny...so why am I still laughing...someone help me...it actually hurts!

Thanks for the feedback, by the way - much appreciated.

Well, it totally works as per your stated intentions. Very fine work indeed.

Nicely done, although I liked the first part much better than the second, which was too harmonious (to my ears) for the intended effect. Thanks for sharing!

ariston wrote:Nicely done, although I liked the first part much better than the second, which was too harmonious (to my ears) for the intended effect. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the feedback ariston, much appreciated...the first half is certainly much more dissonant that the second part, but that was sort of the intended effect - Creepy scene in the churchyard followed by the cheesy, more lighthearted main theme for the credits in the vein of Miss Marple, Midsomer Murders, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Father Brown etc:

FIRST HALF:
The opening scene fades from black as the camera slowly sweeps across the cemetery towards the tolling bell. Choir boys singing inside the church. A slowly evolving, warped choir drone adds a subtle, rising edge of tension.

The camera pans back out towards the Cross as disturbing vocal lines weave around each other accompanied by dissonant string runs. The music reaches a peak just as the camera focuses on the dead body of the local priest, hidden behind the cross.

SECOND HALF:
Cut to the opening credits and the main theme for the programme – hopefully conveying mystery, suspense, adventure and a healthy dollop of cheesy humour!

VERY END:

Finally, a brief hint of the opening Agnus Dei from the Choir boys leads into the first scene via a dramatic close up of a second body hanging in the Bell Tower! :0)

Exactly.

jancivil wrote:Exactly.
Thanks for the feedback...I'm probably having a 'Doh!' moment...what did you mean by 'exactly''?

On second thoughts...I was definitely having a 'Doh!' moment...just read your earlier comment and now I understand! :0)

Cheers.

It was following you explaining that it's the opening scene then the titles music and so forth, actually

great stuff as usual. i just watched BWP the other day. good "cult" film
evokes a chilly atmo. could hear this played at the closing credits. well done!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thanks Layzer.

Considering the context of this piece...the photo coming from Burkittsville Cemetery, it's embarrassing how long it took me to work out what BWP stood for! :0)

Finally, (a bit late as it was such a huge undertaking), the full SOUND PHOTOGRAPHY project has been released:

https://citiesandmemory.com/sound-photography/

What is the relationship between photography and sound? In today’s visually-dominated culture, how can we use sound to respond to what we see around us?

Sound Photography is the biggest ever worldwide artistic interaction between photographers and sound artists, covering 34 countries and six continents with 100 sound pieces inspired by photographs.

glad i returned otherwise i may not have known about the full project. will check it out as time permits :)

i really liked that. It was mysterious but in a bouncy, mischievous way, like an old Danny Elfman/Tim Burton soundtrack piece. Very visual. Are these samples? They're very natural sounding and articulate.

voidhead23 wrote:i really liked that. It was mysterious but in a bouncy, mischievous way, like an old Danny Elfman/Tim Burton soundtrack piece. Very visual. Are these samples? They're very natural sounding and articulate.
Thank you for that! I'm particularly pleased that you thought it sounded natural + I'm always happy to be compared to Elfman! :0)

Everything was played at the keyboard and then edited for flow and musicality afterwards,(many lanes of automation envelopes to add movement and life to those static samples); there are no real instruments in there as such!

Almost all of the sounds come from the 'Albion One' orchestral library by Spitfire Audio.

the bell is 'Toll' from Sonokinetic.

The only 'loop' as such, is the boys choir sample, (and that was heavily edited anyway) - Omnisphere.

FREE album of the 'highlights' from the huge SOUND PHOTOGRAPHY project is now available on Band Camp:

https://citiesandmemory.bandcamp.com/al ... hotography

ChamMusic,
Thank you for the review! Now your song: I could picture ELO (or maybe Pink Floyd) doing at least parts of this song. Now I am feeling some 'Sorcerer's Apprentice' type music happening. Also feeling more orchestral/movie music happening here. However you might classify it, it all sounds good, if occasionally nightmarish (not an insult). I like it. Audio quality is good.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Return to “Music Cafe”