Horizons - electronic Jazz

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just getting back into music again. Working in Cubase and learning mixing along the way. Threw together a little video to complement the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J1djVG_iEc

Nice composition ! I like all of the variations you added throughout the song. Video fits nicely as well :)

Got to love those jazzy chords...
Nice changes to the track that keeps it interesting...
Violin sections sound great.
Nice message at the end.
Well done.
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

It needs more acoustic context and the drums have to sound more human. Try a reverb on the master bus and harmonization, also for drums try a lower BPM and more syncopation.

To make it more jazzy (I suppose you prefer that kind of jazz with fixed BPM's) try to catch a similar groove to this one (It's a minimalistic example though, but it makes the addressed point more distinguishable):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rE2lGY8Y78

Besides of that the sound of the drums has to be much flatter and wider, the drum elements have to take more chronological space.

Nevertheless, cool approach and keep it up, I like the somewhat varying song structure.
For DISCOGRAPHY, see К Ɱ Ԏ Ꮇ Ꮩ Ꭶ Ꭵ Ꮳ

I enjoyed the listen...everything held together in terms of the way various musical elements were developed.

Some great ideas in there.

But...

I wanted much more in terms of improvisational elements; I kept expecting the violin synth and / or the piano to blossom into fully-fledged improvisation, but it never happened.

Also:
The production is a little thin / dry in places... drums didn't cut it for me + the piano needed more warmth and roundness in terms of frequency content. When played solo it sounded a little insubstantial.

ChamMusic wrote:the piano needed more warmth
Which phenomenon/attribute do you exactly address when using the word "warmth" in that context? :D
For DISCOGRAPHY, see К Ɱ Ԏ Ꮇ Ꮩ Ꭶ Ꭵ Ꮳ

As I said above in a sentence that was probably too long and rambling - 'in terms of frequency content'...

It's quite high frequency heavy for my tastes...a bright piano sound which also seems to lack certain elements of mid and low/mid frequencies...this is where it is losing that edge of warmth.

Firstly, Thank you to all for the listen. I appreciate both Rameses and ChamMusic for the civil and constructive critiques. The piano in question is Native Instruments Grandeur. It was EQ'ed to knock out some boxiness in the thick midrange chords. Very light attenuation. As I move forward, I will keep these suggestions in mind. Especially since both of you agreed the drums were not substantial.

NI Grandeur...I should've recognized it! :0) I've had the same criticism of pieces where I've used it!

In case it helps, I found two solutions...

1) I used the GIANT piano instead for jazz-oriented pieces...the 'Emotional' preset with a few tweaks if I remember correctly.
2) I layered Grandeur with another piano - Maverick... to create a fuller solo sound...again with tweaks to both to make them gel.

Return to “Music Cafe”