May Contest: Gossip - Everything’s fine!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay, first off, donkey tugger needs to be banned from these contests so that others have a chance.

Anyway, I'm listening to his submission for this month and I'm listening to the vocals and they're driving me crazy.

"Who does he sound like?" I'm thinking to myself.

And then it hits me.

Pete Townsend

I mean it's not exact, but it's so close. He could easily do a Pete Townsend cover and pull it off with no problem.

Anyway, love the song. Even more than a lot of Who songs. It's not "commercial" but it could have easily been on one of their albums from the 70s.

So, who's gonna take 2nd place this month?

That's the only mystery left.

FlyingNoodle wrote:Wouldn't mind having a larger space for sonic reasons as it's in a tiny box room, I'm standing outside the door to take the photo. However I love having a dedicated space, I can go in here, close the door and say goodbye to the world for a few hours. :phones:
Love the flask! :lol:

That's an Arturia MiniLab, right? I've been thinking of getting onne of those. How are you getting on with yours?

Dual-displays are bad-ass
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

wagtunes wrote:Okay, first off, donkey tugger needs to be banned from these contests so that others have a chance.

Anyway, I'm listening to his submission for this month and I'm listening to the vocals and they're driving me crazy.

"Who does he sound like?" I'm thinking to myself.

And then it hits me.

Pete Townsend

I mean it's not exact, but it's so close. He could easily do a Pete Townsend cover and pull it off with no problem.

Anyway, love the song. Even more than a lot of Who songs. It's not "commercial" but it could have easily been on one of their albums from the 70s.

So, who's gonna take 2nd place this month?

That's the only mystery left.
:o Easy tiger, long way to go yet!

Never had a Pete Townsend comparison before before (Peter Gabriel, Paul Buchananan from the Blue Nile, Bowie! Richard Butler from the Psychedelic Furs being the common ones - all smokers one assumes. :hihi: )

Now you mention Pete Townsend though, I did think, hmmm, if you sped up that verse riff and played it on the electric...

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/donkeywasborn.mp3

Well I never! :hihi:

skipscada wrote:Love the flask!

That's an Arturia MiniLab, right? I've been thinking of getting onne of those. How are you getting on with yours?
I like my coffee hot and I don't like drinking it all at once - so I make it in a flask :hihi:

The MiniLab MkII is ok - it's a tool like a mouse or a typing keyboard as opposed to a keyboard to play music on. I have it there next to me so I can quickly put ideas into the DAW.
I don't use it as much as I feel I aught to. I remember back in the 80's I had a keyboard midi'd up to several synths and the original Cubase / Pro 12/24 et al... I hardly ever looked at the computer screen. I did everything from pushing buttons on the synth controls, playing parts in live. Now days I have a mouse in right hand, the QWERTY keyboard in the middle and this little controller on my left and hardly look at the controllers. I could have probably gotten away with something like an M-Audio Keystation Mini 32, Samson SAKGRM32, AKAI Professional LPK25 etc... I chose the Minilab over the MPK Mini MKII because it has the pitch bend and modulation as separate sliders, albeit they are touch instead of wheels. Even though I can map all the knobs on the MiniLab to soft synth controls I rarely do. I'll occasionally record live modulation with one quick mapping and then that's done... move on. I'm not a very good keyboard player (I learned to play the drums) but I get what I need to out of the small keys albeit I find them fiddly and often feel frustrated when slipping off the sharps or struggling to play 4 note chords. Only having two octaves can be limiting, like how notes are mapped in Groove Agent means I have to keep on flipping between the octaves and have to remap things if I want to have them on one page. So I'll probably end up with a 49 key, semi weighted with aftertouch, without all the fancy faders and stuff they throw on them these days. All I need are a handful of knobs to assign occasionally, bank/patch change, transport controls (to control the DAW remotely), decent pitch bend and mod wheels, and nice keys that feel good to play on.
Mister Natural wrote:Dual-displays are bad-ass
The 1080p is around 7 years old I'm surprised it's still working. I replaced it with the ultrawide a couple of years ago when it was randomly cutting out. I've had it to one side there for random stuff but it's days are numbered and I won't replace it.

donkey tugger wrote: Never had a Pete Townsend comparison before...
Are you writing a book too? :hihi:

Split Screen! That would be so nice.

Quick question: Most people have a cool blue background to their link with a play icon next to it. How ya pulling that off?

Tbase2000 wrote:Quick question: Most people have a cool blue background to their link with a play icon next to it. How ya pulling that off?
Click on "Post Reply" and then click on URL while inside the text box where you post your message and then paste the URL of your uploaded MP3.

That's all there is to it.

Thanks.

So I posted in the wrong room :roll: :roll: Anyway, Donkey needs a bass player. That's all that song needs to be amazing! Nothing crazy, just low end with a few slow runs here and there. Peter Gabriel "In Your Eyes" is what it sounds most like to me. I loved that guy back in the day. Not everything...but some of it.

Tbase2000 wrote:Thanks.

So I posted in the wrong room :roll: :roll: Anyway, Donkey needs a bass player. That's all that song needs to be amazing! Nothing crazy, just low end with a few slow runs here and there. Peter Gabriel "In Your Eyes" is what it sounds most like to me. I loved that guy back in the day. Not everything...but some of it.
Hmm, I did think about it, but decided against it - wanted to keep it mostly acoustic, and there's a lot going on already..

wagtunes wrote:
Tbase2000 wrote:Quick question: Most people have a cool blue background to their link with a play icon next to it. How ya pulling that off?
Click on "Post Reply" and then click on URL while inside the text box where you post your message and then paste the URL of your uploaded MP3.

That's all there is to it.
Related question: do you know whether it's possible to post a direct link from Google Drive so that it shows up in the forum player?
I know how to generate a Google Drive download link, which takes you to the Google Drive player/download page, which is ok, but it would be nice if it were playable from within the forum like YouTube, Soundcloud and other places.

let me know what you think of my piece this month fellas
it's a cover of one of my most favorite 1980s pop songs from the WaterBoys
I've been working-it-up for about a week which is about par for the length of my attention-span for just about anything these days 8)

Mrs. Natural with(not good) news re: her brain tumor - PM me if you'd like an update

Mister Natural wrote:let me know what you think of my piece this month fellas
it's a cover of one of my most favorite 1980s pop songs from the WaterBoys
I've been working-it-up for about a week which is about par for the length of my attention-span for just about anything these days 8)

Mrs. Natural with(not good) news re: her brain tumor - PM me if you'd like an update
I wasn't going to comment but since you asked, I will.

I remember when I first heard the Waterboys. This song was one of my favorites from that year. Typically, I don't like covers. Heck, I don't even like to listen to groups perform their songs live because they never sound like the recordings and some of them sound really bad. So that's where I'm coming from as far as listening to covers.

Having said that, your version wasn't bad. It was a little too slow for my taste and I don't think it fit the song but then look what Eric Clapton did with Layla. Of course I didn't like the unplugged version either.

But my biggest problem is still with your voice. I actually think it's off key at times. Whatever "good" I can say about the music, which wasn't bad, the voice really ruins it for me. Again, this is why I will never sing on another recording of mine ever again. My voice is God awful.

Anyway, please take this in the spirit in which it was intended.

OK - thx for your feedback Wags
I struggle w/my phrasing & one day, I plan on taking voice lessons again.

Return to “Music Cafe”