Holy War - Cinematic Soundtrack

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Ar0-ld6ZQ

A mix of medieval/middle eastern music - about crusades in the Holy Land.

Please let me know if you like it or not.
Last edited by mediumaevum on Sat May 05, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm loving this arrangement. Love the style too.

Audio wise I don't think the layers need to be so harsh and in your face. Everything sounds kind of strained and distorted. This style of music needs to be mixed a dynamic sort of way. Like it needs to exist in a "space" and not be blasting the meters.

so so good though!
composer | producer http://noct.us

Nice.
Can I ask what winds library you are using from 0:26 - 0:29 ?

:clap:

Aaron Marshall wrote:I'm loving this arrangement. Love the style too.

Audio wise I don't think the layers need to be so harsh and in your face. Everything sounds kind of strained and distorted. This style of music needs to be mixed a dynamic sort of way. Like it needs to exist in a "space" and not be blasting the meters.

so so good though!
hmmm it wasn't loud and distorted to my ears. perhaps a little at the end.
and i'm all about being against the loudness war. so go figure :shrug:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Bansaw wrote:Nice.
Can I ask what winds library you are using from 0:26 - 0:29 ?

:clap:
Ethno World 5 Instruments.

layzer wrote:
The loudness war is a problem related to mastering. I get the feeling this problem is in either the tracking and/or mixing stages.

This sort of composition seems more in alignment with something like James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith etc. yet it's mixed like a pop song. It's not so much a loudness war issue, but an inappropriate level for the genre.

What is your monitoring rig like?

Listen to this tune: https://youtu.be/mR09OclTLNk

Hear how the quiet parts are articulate but still subtle? They exist in a space. It rings out front to back as well as left to right. It's 3 dimensional. What strikes me about your mix is it seems 2 dimensional. Therefore I think certain layers pop out as unintentionally harsh.

I only bring this up because I think your composition is so well thought out.
composer | producer http://noct.us

Aaron Marshall wrote:
layzer wrote:
The loudness war is a problem related to mastering. I get the feeling this problem is in either the tracking and/or mixing stages.

This sort of composition seems more in alignment with something like James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith etc. yet it's mixed like a pop song. It's not so much a loudness war issue, but an inappropriate level for the genre.

What is your monitoring rig like?

Listen to this tune: https://youtu.be/mR09OclTLNk

Hear how the quiet parts are articulate but still subtle? They exist in a space. It rings out front to back as well as left to right. It's 3 dimensional. What strikes me about your mix is it seems 2 dimensional. Therefore I think certain layers pop out as unintentionally harsh.

I only bring this up because I think your composition is so well thought out.
Sorry, I've just read your comment now after I posted it on youtube. I can't hear the loudness-problem though, but I did manage to level the volume down a bit.

See original topic for the youtube-video.

Btw. I don't know much about mastering techniques. I would really like to know how I can master in FL Studio so it becomes 3-dimensional.

Some seriously odd comments about the loudness and mixing of this piece. My pennies-worth:

1) The mix overall is absolutely fine to listen to; there are no major issues with clipping or distortion whatsoever.

2) I would say that it sounds a little bit flat dynamically. Have some tracks possibly been over-ly compressed? Possibly an over zealous limiter over the stereo out might've caused this?

3) Frequency range is quite unbalanced, (but not offensively so): There is a lot of energy throughout in the lows / low mids...I'd say particularly around the 80Hz - 100Hz area?

4) I agree that the 3D sound stage is weak...it's Ok from side to side, but flat from front to back; but this is mainly down to lack of variety in use of reverb...

Heavy use of reverb pushes sounds further back in the mix...further away from the listener. Drier sounds seem much nearer. Too many of the sounds here are in that vague middle distance.

The Actual Music:
Works quite well overall - it has some very atmospheric moments that certainly fir the subject matter, but, for me...

1) It uses way too many ethnic wind loops placed at various stages throughout the piece. Apart from one, they all fit OK, but they are quite different in their musical content so the piece has little continuity.

NOTE: For me the one that enters at around 1 min 15 secs is simply in an inappropriate key for this context...doesn't match up with the backing in the same way as the other wind loops.

2) Doesn't really go on a journey as such....it's got some good ideas, but it just doesn't rise and fall with any great intensity. There is variation, but not enough for me.

3) The AMEN choir sound (yet another loop I think) - doesn't quite fit the tempo of the piece...slight rhythmic jar against the backing at times in terms of its entries.

Third Crusade - Epic Battle Music...no, not really, it's just not epic!

Third Crusade - Atmospheric Backdrop would be more accurate.

ChamMusic wrote:I would say that it sounds a little bit flat dynamically. Have some tracks possibly been over-ly compressed? Possibly an over zealous limiter over the stereo out might've caused this?
Probably the result of using someones pre-processed, squashed-in-order-to-sound-more-impressive orchestral sample library instead of a real orchestra and choir :hihi:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:I would say that it sounds a little bit flat dynamically. Have some tracks possibly been over-ly compressed? Possibly an over zealous limiter over the stereo out might've caused this?
Probably the result of using someone's pre-processed, squashed-in-order-to-sound-more-impressive orchestral sample library instead of a real orchestra and choir :hihi:
That is ALWAYS a potential issue with some orchestral/choir sample libraries, especially the more'epic' ones!

Choose your orchestral libraries carefully...research them widely before buying and then be wary of using too much additional compression in the mix unless you're sure it works.

If I remember correctly, I think that the libraries used by mediumaevum are amongst the more 'natural' ones.

Return to “Music Cafe”