June Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think people take these things a bit too literally. It's just a starting point- you can put any kind of spin on it you want.

donkey tugger wrote:I think people take these things a bit too literally. It's just a starting point- you can put any kind of spin on it you want.
Yeah, but if I don't at least somewhat stick to the theme I'm gonna get points taken away for that.

I mean I can't write...

"My baby done left me at the ball game
She carved out my heart with a baseball bat
She threw me a curve ball to my nuts
Well WTF do I do bout that?"

And then we kick into the hard rock chorus

"Baseball sucks when your girl is a whore
Baseball sucks cause the game's such a bore
Baseball sucks ain't gonna go there no more
Baseball sucks"

Yeah, that's got top 10 written all over it.

Thanks. I'll pass.

wagtunes wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:I think people take these things a bit too literally. It's just a starting point- you can put any kind of spin on it you want.
Yeah, but if I don't at least somewhat stick to the theme I'm gonna get points taken away for that.

I mean I can't write...

Baseball sucks"

Thanks. I'll pass.
On tends to not be at all arsed about the points etc. I only enter because I like the challenge of it, and it makes me write stuff when I'm being lazy. The competitive part is of course a bit of fun, but it's very, very much secondary.

donkey tugger wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

I mean I can't write...

Baseball sucks"

Thanks. I'll pass.
On tends to not be at all arsed about the points etc. I only enter because I like the challenge of it, and it makes me write stuff when I'm being lazy. The competitive part is of course a bit of fun, but it's very, very much secondary.
Well, fortunately for me, I have no problem with laziness. I'm currently working on my 4th CD this year and it's only June. I'm sure I'll have 6 to 8 done before the year is over.

donkey tugger wrote:One tends to not be at all arsed about the points etc. I only enter because I like the challenge of it, and it makes me write stuff when I'm being lazy. The competitive part is of course a bit of fun, but it's very, very much secondary.
This, muchly.

Then again, I'll still give it a pass. I have rich experience in treating any given theme as free-for-all, but sport, gah.
Especially because there will be footie songs, and I'd be more-or-less forced to listen to them. Footie sucks so hard it's capable of sucking a football through a garden hose. With a footballer attached to it.

I might have considered participating but the NBA finals were not mentioned in the submissions thread! :tantrum:

:hihi:

In the old days it seemed that folks were generally open to participants shoehorning their 'magnum opus' whatever the theme (although if winning is your thing, well, you know.)

The ideal winner might be someone who truly hates the competitive aspect of sports tournaments, no? :lol:

wagtunes wrote:

I mean I can't write...

Baseball sucks"

Thanks. I'll pass.
Can I run with these lyrics? You can be credited, or more wisely, be listed as Lyrics by Anonymous or a pseudonym of your fancy.

Jonny Quest wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

I mean I can't write...

Baseball sucks"

Thanks. I'll pass.
Can I run with these lyrics? You can be credited, or more wisely, be listed as Lyrics by Anonymous or a pseudonym of your fancy.
Sure, if you credit me you can have 'em.

Hell, if you want, I'll write the whole damn song for you.

I've been to enough Tigers games to know that that could be the official anthem of baseball. It does suck.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

Baseball I mean. Not your song because that is awesome.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

DrApostropheX wrote:Baseball I mean. Not your song because that is awesome.
Are you talking to me? LOL

wagtunes wrote:
Jonny Quest wrote: Sure, if you credit me you can have 'em.

Hell, if you want, I'll write the whole damn song for you.
Thanks. But no need to do more. You've done too much. These lyrics alone are billboard gold :clap:

Oh dear. Footie songs (shudder).
Mind you I really can't see me having time to do anything. I've only just nearly finished a tune that would have been a perfect fit last month - and still haven't found time to listen to any of those entries :(

P.S.
Very pleased to see so much activity here :)
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Why's everybody worrying over this theme it's basically a free-for-all. Think New Order's World in Motion or all those songs they play at breaks in American sports like Song 2 or Rock n Roll Part 2. These have naff all to do with the sport in question but could still be considered for the compo. I'll be doing a song about Scotland's continuing failure to qualify for the World Cup, which probably doesn't fit in with the theme but who really cares, its only for a bit of fun.
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

beanpole wrote:Why's everybody worrying over this theme it's basically a free-for-all. Think New Order's World in Motion or all those songs they play at breaks in American sports like Song 2 or Rock n Roll Part 2. These have naff all to do with the sport in question but could still be considered for the compo. I'll be doing a song about Scotland's continuing failure to qualify for the World Cup, which probably doesn't fit in with the theme but who really cares, its only for a bit of fun.
Well, in that case then, why bother having a theme at all? What's the point? And like it or not, there are going to be voters who will knock off points if they think your song has literally nothing to do with sports. And if it's all just for a bit of fun, why bother having a contest at all? Why not just everybody post their tracks and we all just make comments and that's that?

The reality is, this IS a contest. And like it or not, there are egos involved to some degree, especially when nobody wants to finish dead last. It's not a great feeling. I mean we're only human. We're not machines. If we were, we wouldn't make music in the first place.

So I can't share your sentiment. And I'm sure there are others here who don't either, whether or not they'll admit it. I'm not entering because I have no desire to write a sports themed song, in spite of my failed attempt at lyrical humor earlier, and I have no desire to have some crap that I come up with (theme wise) end up at the bottom of the trash heap.

But I am going to be voting this month. Can't wait to hear what you guys come up with. And yes, anything not remotely theme related is going to get voted down.

Otherwise why bother having this contest at all?

Return to “Music Cafe”