Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

4527 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:54 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

wagtunes wrote:
beanpole wrote:Why's everybody worrying over this theme it's basically a free-for-all. Think New Order's World in Motion or all those songs they play at breaks in American sports like Song 2 or Rock n Roll Part 2. These have naff all to do with the sport in question but could still be considered for the compo. I'll be doing a song about Scotland's continuing failure to qualify for the World Cup, which probably doesn't fit in with the theme but who really cares, its only for a bit of fun.

Well, in that case then, why bother having a theme at all? What's the point? And like it or not, there are going to be voters who will knock off points if they think your song has literally nothing to do with sports. And if it's all just for a bit of fun, why bother having a contest at all? Why not just everybody post their tracks and we all just make comments and that's that?

The reality is, this IS a contest. And like it or not, there are egos involved to some degree, especially when nobody wants to finish dead last. It's not a great feeling. I mean we're only human. We're not machines. If we were, we wouldn't make music in the first place.

So I can't share your sentiment. And I'm sure there are others here who don't either, whether or not they'll admit it. I'm not entering because I have no desire to write a sports themed song, in spite of my failed attempt at lyrical humor earlier, and I have no desire to have some crap that I come up with (theme wise) end up at the bottom of the trash heap.

But I am going to be voting this month. Can't wait to hear what you guys come up with. And yes, anything not remotely theme related is going to get voted down.

Otherwise why bother having this contest at all?

Again, I think you're taking the 'theme' aspect of it all a bit too seriously In this type of contest it's just there as a loose starting point. There have been other themes where it's more explicit what's required - e.g. time signatures, genre based ones, but ones like this are more about your own interpretation.

In the end, it's for fun...
wagtunes
KVRAF

12664 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:08 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

donkey tugger wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
beanpole wrote:Why's everybody worrying over this theme it's basically a free-for-all. Think New Order's World in Motion or all those songs they play at breaks in American sports like Song 2 or Rock n Roll Part 2. These have naff all to do with the sport in question but could still be considered for the compo. I'll be doing a song about Scotland's continuing failure to qualify for the World Cup, which probably doesn't fit in with the theme but who really cares, its only for a bit of fun.

Well, in that case then, why bother having a theme at all? What's the point? And like it or not, there are going to be voters who will knock off points if they think your song has literally nothing to do with sports. And if it's all just for a bit of fun, why bother having a contest at all? Why not just everybody post their tracks and we all just make comments and that's that?

The reality is, this IS a contest. And like it or not, there are egos involved to some degree, especially when nobody wants to finish dead last. It's not a great feeling. I mean we're only human. We're not machines. If we were, we wouldn't make music in the first place.

So I can't share your sentiment. And I'm sure there are others here who don't either, whether or not they'll admit it. I'm not entering because I have no desire to write a sports themed song, in spite of my failed attempt at lyrical humor earlier, and I have no desire to have some crap that I come up with (theme wise) end up at the bottom of the trash heap.

But I am going to be voting this month. Can't wait to hear what you guys come up with. And yes, anything not remotely theme related is going to get voted down.

Otherwise why bother having this contest at all?

Again, I think you're taking the 'theme' aspect of it all a bit too seriously In this type of contest it's just there as a loose starting point. There have been other themes where it's more explicit what's required - e.g. time signatures, genre based ones, but ones like this are more about your own interpretation.

In the end, it's for fun...

Well, I'm very curious to hear what others come up with.

Looking forward to voting this month.
farlukar
KVRAF

5871 posts since 18 Apr, 2004

Postby farlukar; Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:45 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

wagtunes wrote:nobody wants to finish dead last
I did once, and succeeded. The theme was "love/hate"; I went with hate and got lots of it :hihi:
DrApostropheX
KVRAF

1982 posts since 8 Feb, 2003, from Nearish Detroit, MI

Postby DrApostropheX; Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:27 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

It is all for fun! And there are way more kinds of Championships than just sports sports. Did you know there are songwriting championships? What could be more inspiring than writing a song about winning one of those.....
beanpole
KVRist

299 posts since 6 May, 2005, from Somewhere In Scotland

Postby beanpole; Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:36 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

Its just a bit of fun. No prizes are on offer anymore so does it really matter where you finish as long as you, personally, enjoyed creating your song. I'm usually always in the bottom half of the voting but I couldn't care less. In over 120 compo entries I think I've finished in the top 3 about 5 times but enjoy the process.

Wagtunes, you'll be pleased that you weren't taking part in the month when the theme was "Frying Pans"
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....
http://www.myspace.com/thebeanbeany
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:48 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

beanpole wrote:Its just a bit of fun. No prizes are on offer anymore so does it really matter where you finish as long as you, personally, enjoyed creating your song. I'm usually always in the bottom half of the voting but I couldn't care less. In over 120 compo entries I think I've finished in the top 3 about 5 times but enjoy the process.

Wagtunes, you'll be pleased that you weren't taking part in the month when the theme was "Frying Pans"

See, that would have been easy for me. In fact, I just wrote the whole song in my head just now. In fact, I just might record it next and post it in the Music Cafe sometime next week.
DrApostropheX
KVRAF

1982 posts since 8 Feb, 2003, from Nearish Detroit, MI

Postby DrApostropheX; Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:14 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

Hmmmm... it would be hard for me to top frying pans as a theme. Oh wait, I got it. July contest theme: "Moist".
Tbase2000
KVRist

87 posts since 23 Oct, 2017

Postby Tbase2000; Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:01 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

@DrApostropheX "Another on bites the dust...." How bout them Lions man. Can't hardly top that song but it's worth a shot.
FlyingNoodle
KVRist

74 posts since 1 Mar, 2017, from Wales, UK

Postby FlyingNoodle; Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:59 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

DrApostropheX wrote:Hmmmm... it would be hard for me to top frying pans as a theme. Oh wait, I got it. July contest theme: "Moist".

:clap: count me in....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYH52hRbwJg?t=53s
rp314
KVRAF

2097 posts since 24 Mar, 2006, from The city by the bay

Postby rp314; Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:30 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

wagtunes wrote:

In my oh so humble opinion, it's a conspiracy that goes back to the origins of this KVR institution. :x

As to your not totally incorrect observations regarding folks moving the goal posts :hihi:, as it were, and taking off points for doing what some of us have been known to do, my take is that judging diverse works that folks put so much effort into is not easy so in the end participants seem to need try to find some 'objective' criteria, regardless of how arbitrary it might appear to those of us who fail to place. :cry:

But, just as a general comment, if one were to take some established works by the great composers, say, Stravinsky's Histoire du soldat or Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kije, and separate the music from the text or film, would they really sound like some anti-war commentaries? So for those of us who generally do not write lyrics, does a clever title or added story suffice to convince voters? Maybe, maybe not.

My advice: if you got the motivation to participate, do so and don't worry about the rest of it... :ud:
FlyingNoodle
KVRist

74 posts since 1 Mar, 2017, from Wales, UK

Postby FlyingNoodle; Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:07 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

rp314 wrote:But, just as a general comment, if one were to take some established works by the great composers, say, Stravinsky's Histoire du soldat or Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kije, and separate the music from the text or film, would they really sound like some anti-war commentaries? So for those of us who generally do not write lyrics, does a clever title or added story suffice to convince voters? Maybe, maybe not.

It's interesting you bring this up - I think everything is taken into consideration - let me explain;
When composing I begin with background research on the piece before deciding whether to take on that project. I typically start with historical composers perspective. I also read through comments people have about the pieces I review (in YouTube videos). I find a lot of the time people will follow up with quotes of famous war movies, such as the Platoon ending scene - Chris Taylor's speech written to Barber: Adagio for Strings. For me Adagio for Strings holds a different story however in the context of the movie it can easily play a different role.
So I think juxtaposition is important here, the intersection of two or more ideas creating a new (sometimes stronger) experience for the listener, and this works on so many levels.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:09 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

beanpole wrote:Its just a bit of fun. No prizes are on offer anymore so does it really matter where you finish as long as you, personally, enjoyed creating your song. I'm usually always in the bottom half of the voting but I couldn't care less. In over 120 compo entries I think I've finished in the top 3 about 5 times but enjoy the process.

Here's your Frying Pan song. Piece of cake.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -on-vocals
skipscada
KVRian

1418 posts since 22 Oct, 2004, from Schmocation

Postby skipscada; Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:12 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

wagtunes wrote:

FYI, In KVR slang, "Frying Pan" is a music genre.
skipscada
KVRian

1418 posts since 22 Oct, 2004, from Schmocation

Postby skipscada; Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

When I vote, I tend to think in terms of 3 aspects: the artistic aspect, the technical aspect and adherence to theme. A track that has no discernable connection to the theme will never get top marks from me.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:45 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

skipscada wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

FYI, In KVR slang, "Frying Pan" is a music genre.

Well, sorry for being a total idiot because I've never heard of that music genre.

What's next? A music genre called "Stick A Thumb In My Eye?"
PreviousNext

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe