Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

4527 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:51 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

wagtunes wrote:
skipscada wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
beanpole wrote:Its just a bit of fun. No prizes are on offer anymore so does it really matter where you finish as long as you, personally, enjoyed creating your song. I'm usually always in the bottom half of the voting but I couldn't care less. In over 120 compo entries I think I've finished in the top 3 about 5 times but enjoy the process.

Wagtunes, you'll be pleased that you weren't taking part in the month when the theme was "Frying Pans"

Here's your Frying Pan song. Piece of cake.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -on-vocals

FYI, In KVR slang, "Frying Pan" is a music genre.

Well, sorry for being a total idiot because I've never heard of that music genre.

What's next? A music genre called "Stick A Thumb In My Eye?"

Some angry young chap (whose name is alas lost with the passage of the years) lost his rag about something or other, and opined that those who were making more experimental types of music were not musicians, and were merely just recording banging frying pans together. Naturally, the term 'frying-pan' was then appropriated as a badge of honour.
wagtunes
KVRAF

12664 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:01 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

donkey tugger wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
skipscada wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
beanpole wrote:Its just a bit of fun. No prizes are on offer anymore so does it really matter where you finish as long as you, personally, enjoyed creating your song. I'm usually always in the bottom half of the voting but I couldn't care less. In over 120 compo entries I think I've finished in the top 3 about 5 times but enjoy the process.

Wagtunes, you'll be pleased that you weren't taking part in the month when the theme was "Frying Pans"

Here's your Frying Pan song. Piece of cake.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -on-vocals

FYI, In KVR slang, "Frying Pan" is a music genre.

Well, sorry for being a total idiot because I've never heard of that music genre.

What's next? A music genre called "Stick A Thumb In My Eye?"

Some angry young chap (whose name is alas lost with the passage of the years) lost his rag about something or other, and opined that those who were making more experimental types of music were not musicians, and were merely just recording banging frying pans together. Naturally, the term 'frying-pan' was then appropriated as a badge of honour.

So then frying pan music genre is like prog rock, experimental, stuff like that? Never knew that. I don't know if that shows how old I am or how out of touch I am. Maybe both.
farlukar
KVRAF

5871 posts since 18 Apr, 2004

Postby farlukar; Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:37 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

wagtunes wrote:Well, sorry for being a total idiot because I've never heard of that music genre. […]

It's kind of old by now. The original thread has apparently disappeared, here's a recollection when memories of it were fresh-ish.
Related genres are hatstand and ambient death polka, but that's probably more info than you needed :wheee:
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:53 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

farlukar wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well, sorry for being a total idiot because I've never heard of that music genre. […]

It's kind of old by now. The original thread has apparently disappeared, here's a recollection when memories of it were fresh-ish.
Related genres are hatstand and ambient death polka, but that's probably more info than you needed :wheee:

Ambient death polka? Oh please tell me this wasn't a serious genre.
farlukar
KVRAF

Postby farlukar; Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:59 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

This wasn't a serious genre.

Glad to be of service!
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

4527 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:00 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

farlukar wrote:This wasn't a serious genre.

Glad to be of service!

What?! Next you'll be telling me that tarnce isn't real. :x
Hellfog
KVRist

465 posts since 1 Jan, 2009

Postby Hellfog; Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:35 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

Not so inspiring theme. But we will see.
farlukar
KVRAF

Postby farlukar; Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:09 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

donkey tugger wrote:What?! Next you'll be telling me that tarnce isn't real. :x
It's as real as knurc.
Tbase2000
KVRist

87 posts since 23 Oct, 2017

Postby Tbase2000; Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:32 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

I feel the need to chime in on the whole "Last Place" complaint I keep hearing from people. I earned that one last month Thank You, so who's beyaching? That was 30 tracks to that piece of garbage, lot's of time spent on sub control, lot's of effort spent learning the different elements of Cubase 9, all the stock VST Instruments. My point is...I used it as a motivation to learn more of my DAW and it's production side. In the rules it said "Whatever makes you chill" or whatever so...I'm a metal guy...that was way chill for me. Anyway, I posted my feedback regardless of how I thought your song stacked up against mine. Music isn't a competition first, it's your art. You enter your art to win a competition. You have a really nice community here so don't dwell to much on the negative aspects of "why bother entering". Write music. The themes and the monthly contests are inspiration and motivation. Short story: I know....again...
Around 2001 I quit playing music completely. No instruments, didn't pick up a guitar, never sang anything...nothing, but I could never sell any of my gear, I just dragged it around forever waiting for the day the spark would reignite. Why did I quit...a combination of wanting to mix back then but the computer software was to cheep and frustrating, band broke up, etc. I gave up because I couldn't produce a radio ready song...period. Now with the technology out there...what does anyone have to lose? Learn the software. I'm pretty heavy into mixing competitions now, I record when I can to learn what I lost years ago and to just have fun. I do everything with a laptop...how sexy is that? The biggest part of my breakup with that other song competition you had the misfortune to read about was the fact that there wasn't an audience. Your song never gets heard by anyone, but in here, at least you know 10+ other musicians are going to listen to it. That's motivation. It's a big site so maybe others listen as well. Who knows? So start tracking and put it together. Back in the day people started as interns in a studio before they ever got invited to the console. I make great coffee.
rp314
KVRAF

2097 posts since 24 Mar, 2006, from The city by the bay

Postby rp314; Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:01 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

Indeed, and in the personal realm there are always rewarding aspects besides doing well in the voting.

For example, some time back a person from a forum created by an ex-KVR moderator started a thread informing us of the passing of a KVR member who went by the name of Chuck E Jesus. I'd always enjoyed his participation at KVR and for some reason recalled that we once took part in the contest and he and a member from Germany whose name escapes me right now were the only two to vote for my rather modest bit of nonsense. :hihi:

By the way, back then the contest would typically include around 30 entries and getting any votes was a nice thing, especially if they were from those who might share in your craziness. :wink:
skipscada
KVRian

1418 posts since 22 Oct, 2004, from Schmocation

Postby skipscada; Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:30 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

Not sure if I'll find time to do anything this month since I'm rearranging my space and upgrading my PC. But the plan is pretty clear: a yacht rock theme song for the Men's Laser Radial World Championship. A couple of lines of lyrics and vocal hooks are ready, so since my tracks tend to be a couple of repeated hooks with a bit of filler in between, theoretically the composition is more or less done. But yacht rock needs to be smoooooth, and that's going to be difficult. But I'm making the most of my available time, imitating Christopher Cross' singing voice in the shower.
FlyingNoodle
KVRist

74 posts since 1 Mar, 2017, from Wales, UK

Postby FlyingNoodle; Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:59 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

skipscada wrote:....But yacht rock needs to be smoooooth, and that's going to be difficult. But I'm making the most of my available time, imitating Christopher Cross' singing voice in the shower.

Whaling vocals :hihi:
skipscada
KVRian

1418 posts since 22 Oct, 2004, from Schmocation

Postby skipscada; Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:27 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

FlyingNoodle wrote:
skipscada wrote:....But yacht rock needs to be smoooooth, and that's going to be difficult. But I'm making the most of my available time, imitating Christopher Cross' singing voice in the shower.

Whaling vocals :hihi:

Great idea for a middle 8. I think I can do a decent humpback whale sound. At the moment my best attempt at Christopher Cross involves blocking one of my nostrils for that semi-nasal quality. The problem is he can hold a tune. I need to look into Melodyne, but can never be arsed.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:52 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

Well, I've decided I'm actually going to enter this month. It's going to be a "theme song" for the Indianapolis 500 racing championship. And it's going to be an instrumental so folks won't have to suffer through Vocaloid.

We'll see how it goes.
PreviousNext

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe