Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
skipscada
KVRian

1418 posts since 22 Oct, 2004, from Schmocation

Postby skipscada; Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:48 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

donkey tugger wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Eric Clapton

:o

Slide guitar is bloody hard! Trying to remember to put the bastard thing actually on the frets and not between them is a nightmare. :hihi:

Vibrato is key. Nicer tone plus pitch correction. Never been able to get it right myself.
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

4631 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:09 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

skipscada wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Eric Clapton

:o

Slide guitar is bloody hard! Trying to remember to put the bastard thing actually on the frets and not between them is a nightmare. :hihi:

Vibrato is key. Nicer tone plus pitch correction. Never been able to get it right myself.

Explain yerself! :help:
Tbase2000
KVRist

105 posts since 23 Oct, 2017

Postby Tbase2000; Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:01 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

All this time and I posted first...only to have a broken google drive link. You guys should say something. Like walking by someone drowning. I should check my links though... Maybe nobody tried to play it. Possible too.
wagtunes
KVRAF

12941 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:19 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

Tbase2000 wrote:All this time and I posted first...only to have a broken google drive link. You guys should say something. Like walking by someone drowning. I should check my links though... Maybe nobody tried to play it. Possible too.

Outside of DT, I don't play any songs until voting time. I played one other song this month because it was to lyrics I wrote. So no, I didn't play your track so I didn't know the link was broken. Had I known, I would have said something.
Laguna Rising
KVRAF

6791 posts since 4 Apr, 2005, from here and there

Postby Laguna Rising; Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:45 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

Tbase2000 wrote:All this time and I posted first...only to have a broken google drive link. You guys should say something. Like walking by someone drowning. I should check my links though... Maybe nobody tried to play it. Possible too.

Download your entry on 6/10 12.35 pm
Your link was working att

Cheers
Jonny Quest
KVRian

508 posts since 27 Dec, 2004

Postby Jonny Quest; Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

link worked for me

FWIW: i check all songs as they come in for my first impressions...then review one second time for my vote
Tbase2000
KVRist

Postby Tbase2000; Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:22 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

That's crazy. Not sure what happened but last night I tried to play it and got the file not found from Google. I hate the thought of working on something and not submitting it correctly. Thanks for checking.
per99
KVRist

42 posts since 5 Oct, 2017

Postby per99; Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:00 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

In connection to my posting the entry Beer Drinkers Bawling, perhaps I should mention that they are not completely reliable. For instance, the bawling people look upon German football players as “lousy as hell”. This might not be the case, but there is nothing much I can do about it... :wink:

I guess the bass guitar is a little bit too loud (and also the electric piano?), but since I've already published the track, it's too late to change anything (I guess). And by the way: the piano is supposed to sound like a Rhodes Suitcase 73.

(P.S. And why is accordon and Rhodes and female backing vocals panned left (to a different degree)??? :( )
Per B, Sweden :phones:
Tbase2000
KVRist

Postby Tbase2000; Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:22 pm Re: June Contest: Gossip

Cool contrast between vocal and pretty standard sounds...I think for you anyway. I think you could have treated the vocal better so that it was more audible and got the same effect. The contrast. Thank you for not doing Polka.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:13 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

Wow! Wow! Wow!

You guys really brought it this month. I expect, deservedly so, to be somewhere near the bottom this month. I am very impressed. Here is how the voting went.

Jonny Quest
Beanpole
donkey tugger
Hellfog
Tbase2000
Laguna Rising
per99

For most of you, the separation was percentage points in my scoring system rating 3 categories

Music
Performance
Mix

The tie breaker (yes, there was ties) was the music.

Instead of telling everybody what was great about their track, because everybody had at least 2 of the 3 categories very well scored, I'm going to go over what knocked you down a peg.

Jonny Quest - Nothing. This was the most hysterical, well done piece of anything that I've heard in a very long time. I'm still laughing. Having said that, because of the strength of the rest of the field, I wouldn't be shocked if you came in 2nd or even 3rd. This was a very tough month to judge.

Beanpole - I found the mix just a tad too noisy, loud, whatever you want to call it. You only finished 3 percentage points behind Jonny. A better mix might have won this for you. But man, what a great entry. I absolutely loved it.

donkey tugger - The mix, IMO, really hurt you on this one as everything else was off the charts amazing. I can't put my finger on it exactly. Some parts were either too soft or not enough high end or something was off. Still good enough for a 3rd place finish in my books. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if you took this one because the music and performance were amazing. This is going to be a very tight one. I just know it.

Hellfog - Nothing was really knocked down per say. You were strong in all 3 categories but just nothing that was off the charts amazing. You were actually, outside of Jonny, the most consistent across the 3 categories.

TBase2000 - What knocked you down was the music itself. I thought it was okay but nothing that really excited me. But the performance and mix were excellent. A more interesting song, for my taste anyway, would have landed you in the top 3 easily.

Laguna Rising - You had about the best mix and performance of everybody. In fact, you did an amazing job with this song. But I had no choice but to take off points for not doing an original work. It's a lot easier to arrange an established work, especially a classic like "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" than it is to write a new piece of music. That's why you finished where you did, for me anyway. Somebody who doesn't care about it being an original composition, I can easily see you winning this thing. It is going to be interesting to see how split the group is on this issue

per99 - I almost feel bad about this. The music itself was very good. I enjoyed it a lot. But the mix was very uneven. The vocoder part was so low I could barely hear it. Other parts were either too soft or too loud. It was just, as I said, uneven. Performance was decent. A better mix and you would have finished a lot higher.

As for myself, if I had to guess, probably finish either 6th or 7th based on the entries this month but wouldn't be surprised if I came in dead last. This month you guys really blew me away. Very little separated you guys in the first 5 slots.

Give yourselves a pat on the backs.

You deserve it.
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

Postby donkey tugger; Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:43 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

wagtunes wrote: I can't put my finger on it exactly..

Cowbell not loud enough.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:48 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

donkey tugger wrote:

Cowbell not loud enough.

LMAO. I'm not sure I heard a cowbell but that could be it.
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

Postby donkey tugger; Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:52 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

wagtunes wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:

Cowbell not loud enough.

I'm not sure I heard a cowbell

Exactly!
Laguna Rising
KVRAF

Postby Laguna Rising; Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:17 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

donkey tugger wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:

Cowbell not loud enough.

I'm not sure I heard a cowbell

Exactly!

:lol:
Laguna Rising
KVRAF

Postby Laguna Rising; Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:22 am Re: June Contest: Gossip

wagtunes wrote:Laguna Rising - You had about the best mix and performance of everybody. In fact, you did an amazing job with this song. But I had no choice but to take off points for not doing an original work. It's a lot easier to arrange an established work, especially a classic like "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" than it is to write a new piece of music. That's why you finished where you did, for me anyway. Somebody who doesn't care about it being an original composition, I can easily see you winning this thing. It is going to be interesting to see how split the group is on this issue

fair enough :tu:
Thanks for the kind words. Truth is: I was lazy, earlier this month, so I followed my 1st source of inspiration on this theme and went with the flow :wink:
PreviousNext

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe