The Hope

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mostly orchestral with some electronics in three sections.

https://soundcloud.com/fastlanephil/the-hoperev1

My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 8
Performance - 8
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.25

Comments: I have a lot of mixed feelings about this one. It's nice. But it's very simple. In addition to that, not enough dynamics for an orchestral piece. I should know because I'm the king of one dimensional orchestral pieces and I'm working on fixing that now. Don't get me wrong, on a superficial level, this is really nice. But I'm looking for something a little deeper here because this has so much potential with some minor tweaking in dynamics and arrangement. Having said that, it's sure a hell of a lot better than anything I can put together orchestral wise. Just needs a tad more variety and spice. Some p or pp sections would be nice.

Sorry but section 1 sounds like lullaby muzak. Maybe its the choice of sounds? I am also noticing the simplicity that wagtunes complained about.

Section 2 is better. A solid melody that could be developed further.

Section 3 is the definite highlight. There are some majestic moments. Digging the strings and percussion combo.

I think this would be stronger if section 1 were dropped but I guess it has a nostalgic charm that I could eventually warm up to.

I think Frantz has pretty much summed up section 1, sections 2+3 are better, it just feels a bit woolly in places, section 2 has a nice intro, some of the note placements are a touch off, section 3 starts out like a classic western, snare seems to be a bit mistimed, together with other elements. There is a greater depth but it could do with some changes, it needs to feel more free, which is difficult with orchestral music as the simplicity of this style calls for greater detail in the location and timing of the sounds.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 8
Performance - 8
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.25

Comments: I have a lot of mixed feelings about this one. It's nice. But it's very simple. In addition to that, not enough dynamics for an orchestral piece. I should know because I'm the king of one dimensional orchestral pieces and I'm working on fixing that now. Don't get me wrong, on a superficial level, this is really nice. But I'm looking for something a little deeper here because this has so much potential with some minor tweaking in dynamics and arrangement. Having said that, it's sure a hell of a lot better than anything I can put together orchestral wise. Just needs a tad more variety and spice. Some p or pp sections would be nice.
Much of my music tends to be minimalistic in nature and borrows from pop music sensibilities. It sounds like maybe you’re wanting this music to fit an imagined musical experience.

I have already run this one by a few quite accompished and formally trained neo-classical composers and they enjoyed it as is although, as suggested by one listener, I made a minor change to the ending.

fastlanephil wrote:
wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 8
Performance - 8
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.25

Much of my music tends to be minimalistic in nature and borrows from pop music sensibilities. It sounds like maybe you’re wanting this music to fit an imagined musical experience.

I have already run this one by a few quite accompished and formally trained neo-classical composers and they enjoyed it as is although, as suggested by one listener, I made a minor change to the ending.
Music is ultimately a very subjective thing to begin with. If we could just plug formulas in for the desired response we'd all be robots. Each person is going to hear things differently. I can't hear a piece of music that how I hear it. It doesn't have anything to do with preconceived expectations, at least not for me, because when I hear a piece of music I don't know what to expect. I react with my gut and not with some formula. It doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. There is no right or wrong when it comes to music. There is just how we hear it as individuals.

For better or worse, my response was how I heard the music.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Part 1 does seem to have a lullaby vibe to it, although I don't hear anything inherently wrong with that approach. In fact, it's probably quite a good idea here, as it sets the scene for, and provides a dynamic contrast to the music that follows. Part 2 appears to be a slight variation of part 1, although the changes in instrumentation help the transition to the last part.

I agree with the other posters' comments that Part 3 is the strongest of the 3 sections, and I can also understand the reference to the classic Western soundtrack.

Good work :)

I realize this isn’t exactly the forum for more classical based efforts but I don’t mind comments and criticisms and learn from them or reject them as one sees fit. I agree that there is a slight western feel to the last section although I was probably inspired by the Scherzo(third movement) of Beethoven’s Third Symphony. Beethoven’s 3rd Symphony and I think particularly that Scherzo moved classical music from the era of Mozart/Hasdin to the romantic period which is still being used, structually at least, in modern soundtrack.

One idea from a couple of those classical folks was to add some timpani to the brass section. Other than that and and my all ready added addition of the orchestral hit at the end, their comments were quite positive. Of course they probably approach one’s music efforts more as a composition and less as a finished performance. I’m sure everyone thinks something could have been done a little differently with their music at times but there’s no sence worrying about it.

Thanks for the comments.

Hi Phil. I enjoyed this for what it is. A track you obviously enjoyed making...
I like the melody of the first part.
The part at 1:30 sounds like Disney to me. But what would I know!
The middle section brass is bold, well done!
Like others have said the last part is the strongest...
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

The track has kind of a dreamy atmosphere in the beginning. The string sections are well done, of course. Cant decide where to put the track, category wise. Orchestral parts are nice, too. All in all well done. You would hit the background of certain hollywood movies for sure with that sound :)
Greetings
HM

it was a tri-fold trip. i liked the last part best, but really enjoyed the atmo of it all.
good job :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I can understand that the first section comes across as less interesting. It's not involved, complex or particularly innovative. Maybe a bit kitchy even. But as an emotional expression, why not? It seems to me like a valid expression of a particular emotion, and sometimes these emotions aren't complex and agonising or intricate. Sometimes overintellectualising is counterproductive, in particular when it comes to emotional expression.

It's also better to finish strongly than end with a whimper, and the increase in dynamism towards the end moves the song from a feeling of well-being and calm to one of marching optimistically forward and an intent to seize the moment.

So from my point of view, I can connect on an emotional level. I feel that I have been able to tap into phil's emotions through his music; if that's the intention, and if the emotion phil meant to convey is not a particularly complex one, then it works for me. I mean, it sounds hopeful, doesn't it, and ends on an optimistic upbeat note? :D

It's obviously not the sort of music I regularly listen to, so I don't have any constructive criticism beyond my own emotional response to offer.

A bit too 'normal' for my own personal tastes, (my problem, not yours) but I still really liked the melodies in this piece. Very filmy.
Jazz Clarinet Rocks - well sort of Swings anyway!

Allomerus wrote:Hi Phil. I enjoyed this for what it is. A track you obviously enjoyed making...
I like the melody of the first part.
The part at 1:30 sounds like Disney to me. But what would I know!
The middle section brass is bold, well done!
Like others have said the last part is the strongest...
:)
Thanks for commenting Allomerus. I’m one for using as few notes as possible I guess. As with most of my efforts it’s a roller coaster of emotions as I usually have no idea what I’m trying to accomplish. I just throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks. Once the wall is making some sence then I enjoy the process more. Maybe that’s not so uncommon.

htcnext2 wrote:The track has kind of a dreamy atmosphere in the beginning. The string sections are well done, of course. Cant decide where to put the track, category wise. Orchestral parts are nice, too. All in all well done. You would hit the background of certain hollywood movies for sure with that sound :)
Greetings
HM
Thanks htcnex2. I appreciate your thoughts about this work.

Return to “Music Cafe”