Tears in Rain (ElectroProg - NOT Seismic Evangelism)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The latest release from Ambient Online (Vol 9, Part 2), featuring over 6.5 hours of music, comprising 55 tracks, all made by members of Ambient Online, is released today. For an outlay of $7, it's a no-brainer.

This track was inspired by the iconic scene from the film "Blade Runner" featuring Rick Deckard and Roy Batty. My intention here was not to emulate any part of the original soundtrack, but to try a new approach, hence the disclaimer in the topic title :)

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/tears-in-rain

Recorded/Mixed in EnergyXT2.7
Mastered in T-Racks 5

Bits and Bobs

Z3ta+2
Sony Xperia
Field Recorder
Aether
Satin
Linear Phase EQ
EQP-1A

DR-12

The album may be found here:-
https://ambientonline.bandcamp.com/albu ... 9-part-two

2018 Frost Mix also on SoundCloud 11/22/2018

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/tear ... -frost-mix

EDIT:20230906 I remixed the track, but changes were limited to minor levelling, EQ and panning adjustments. It was mastered in T-Racks5, for a subsequent album release.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/tear ... ks5-master

Recorded and mixed in EnergyXT 2.7
Mastered in T-Racks 5

Z3ta+2
Sony Xperia
Field Recorder
Aether
EQuivocate
Satin
Linear Phase EQ
EQP-1A
Last edited by seismic1 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 8
Performance - 7
Mix - 9

Overall - 8

Comments: Hard to critique ambient tracks because they're more for mood than pure music. If the mood you were going for was dark and mysterious, you succeeded. Not something I'd sit down and listen to but if it were part of a sci fi or something I'd find it fitting to the film.

Very good Compostion, Good Flow...

However, the Synth that drives the 3-4k ambience is crackling under duress, and sounds a bit harsh at a lower more "enjoyable level"...

I left a comment i can delete at the section where the syth is driving the flow, but is too harsh and needs FX and mixing, or engineering to be more in-line with the ambience, it is taking over the vibe by being distracting, but can be fixed without much hassle!

Great Work, and Good Luck on getting your Track on the OST!
Aspiring HipHop Producer: https://soundcloud.com/djlfd

It had a somewhat 70s SciFi-horror movie feel to it (especially in mono) - until the rain starts. The water drops are nice but the thunder is somewhat irritating (to me). Maybe because the song itself creates a feel of emptiness and a good amount of threat. The water dropping down has a similar feel to it, especially since it sounds like its landing on a hard surface. Almost like hail at times. The thunder makes it too specific imo, creating an 'outside' of the scene, taking away the tension but without solving it.
However, overall very well done! If it was a movie scene that has a matching tension build up it would be an exeptional choice.

[I listen to a lot of ambient and chill stuff, mostly for having something in the background while doing something else.]

i've seen things you people wouldn't believe ...

what a wonderful homage to a visually stunning and heartbreaking sequence ...
wouldn't change one thing ...
a gorgeous composition ...

enlighten me as to your use of the sony xperia ...
did you use the 'touch' to set up an interface ?...

Love it, my kind of stuff, it's been a long time since I've seen that scene in Blade Runner. I'll listen while watching it

My Feedback

Music - 10
Instruments - 10
Performance - 10
Mix - 9.2

Overall - 11

I see we have a new rating system here.....
Really liked this tune, has all the qualities of the good "old School" stuff.

I am hearing some "digital-ness" that could be a bit softer.
Is it the LP EQ maybe?

This is lovely. Nice and dark,very cinematic and the rain gives it a feeling of loneliness. Great atmosphere. As it happens I have just re watched Blade Runner so I can place this in there easily. Fantastic work Tim! :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 8
Performance - 7
Mix - 9

Overall - 8

Comments: Hard to critique ambient tracks because they're more for mood than pure music. If the mood you were going for was dark and mysterious, you succeeded. Not something I'd sit down and listen to but if it were part of a sci fi or something I'd find it fitting to the film.
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Steven :)

I'm always a tad nervous about classifying my tracks as "ambient", mainly because I try to incorporate some kind of "traditional" structure within these pieces. Maybe I got away with it this time :wink:

"dark and mysterious" and "sci fi" is exactly what I was aiming for, so I'm happy with that :)

wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 8
Performance - 7
Mix - 9

Overall - 8

Exactly. I think normally your tunes were a bit more....outspoken?
It's nice for ambient, but hard to sit through this time

I think it would work perfectly in the original Blade Runner film. Moody, dark, bleak vibes throughout. There is some nice layering of sounds to cover the full frequency spectrum. The sounds have a rich "analog" instability. At times I found the clattering rain mildy distracting. Other than that, I think the mix is perfect.

Nice work! :tu:

It creates that 'Tears in the Rain' vibe very well. I would've liked more slowly developing layers, but it is darkly atmospheric as it stands.

The mix: It seemed a little mid / bass heavy or a little lacking in top end to me...lacks a little shine? There were also a few low end peaks that seemed a little bit uncontrolled?

Rain / Thunder - sound FX that I have provided so many times for clients that I have grown to hate them...sorry! :0)

Personally i think it would've been better with a tinkling synth musical depiction of rain...ditto a rumbling synth thunder?

The issue with rain FX is always the same...they are potentially quite intrusive...because they have a percussive edge to them they can create their own rhythmic sub plot and interrupt the 'groove / flow of a piece.
Last edited by ChamMusic on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

definite "shades" of br, but im honestly not familiar enough to compare fully..

so ill comment on the tracks merit as a piece in itself.
lush sounds throughout, with everything finding the right space to breathe, a fine mix indeed!! 8)
love the field stuff too, nice clear recordings, with storms i often get too much wind which just sounds like fuzz over all the rain and fun stuff :(

great piece 8)

This is v cool, throat chanting almost, great depth going on, the rhythmic nature of the rain is really nice, adds a freshness to the piece :tu:
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

This is v cool, throat chanting almost, great depth going on, the rhythmic nature of the rain is really nice, adds a freshness to the piece :tu:

I liked it that much I posted a dble :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Return to “Music Cafe”