Tears in Rain (ElectroProg - NOT Seismic Evangelism)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Frantz wrote:I think it would work perfectly in the original Blade Runner film. Moody, dark, bleak vibes throughout. There is some nice layering of sounds to cover the full frequency spectrum. The sounds have a rich "analog" instability. At times I found the clattering rain mildy distracting. Other than that, I think the mix is perfect.

Nice work! :tu:
Thanks very much for the listen and great comments, Frantz. Glad you liked it :)

There are 2 instances of the same patch from Z3ta+2 on here and the FR, so the layering is mainly thanks to the patch design. Only having 3 sound sources (plus Aether) certainly helped to create a bleak atmosphere.

ChamMusic wrote:It creates that 'Tears in the Rain' vibe very well. I would've liked more slowly developing layers, but it is darkly atmospheric as it stands..
When I put this together (last November), I had just finished writing another track and this one just turned up out of the blue over a few hours, so I decided to strike while the iron was hot. I didn't really write this with a view to layering. I just wanted a minimal thing to accompany that FR
ChamMusic wrote: The mix: It seemed a little mid / bass heavy or a little lacking in top end to me...lacks a little shine? There were also a few low end peaks that seemed a little bit uncontrolled?
You're right. There is a lot more power in the bass range. I wanted to keep the volume of the mid/hi synth down 'cos that long reverb was doing its thing and I didn't want to overload the top-end.
ChamMusic wrote: Rain / Thunder - sound FX that I have provided so many times for clients that I have grown to hate them...sorry! :0)

Personally i think it would've been better with a tinkling synth musical depiction of rain...ditto a rumbling synth thunder?

The issue with rain FX is always the same...they are potentially quite intrusive...because they have a percussive edge to them they can create their own rhythmic sub plot and interrupt the 'groove / flow of a piece.
I had the storm recording kicking its heels for a couple of months, and was itching to use it :lol: One of these days, I might start slicing it up.

I may remix this at some point, (I seem to do a lot of that). :wink: I'll take a look at some of these comments again.

Thanks very much for listening, and commenting, Mark :)

vurt wrote:definite "shades" of br, but im honestly not familiar enough to compare fully..

so ill comment on the tracks merit as a piece in itself.
lush sounds throughout, with everything finding the right space to breathe, a fine mix indeed!! 8)
love the field stuff too, nice clear recordings, with storms i often get too much wind which just sounds like fuzz over all the rain and fun stuff :(

great piece 8)
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, vurt. Glad you liked it :)

This one mixed itself really. There were only 2 instrument tracks and the field recording. As usual the EQ stage was the trickiest part of the process, and I'm going to attempt to simplify that part of the mix in a few days' time. I've just bought a new phone, so I'm hoping for another storm in the near future.

Eauson wrote:This is v cool, throat chanting almost, great depth going on, the rhythmic nature of the rain is really nice, adds a freshness to the piece :tu:

I liked it that much I posted a dble :D
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Eauson. Glad you enjoyed it :)

There are certainly a couple of octaves where that Z3ta+2 patch takes on very strong vocal characteristics. The higher notes are more "synthetic" in character, but make a decent contrast.

After the summer we just had, any rain is welcome.

fastlanephil wrote:Maybe little different for ambient I’ve heard, using the low voices, but it flows well and conjures up images of a dark nature, maybe the flip side of pastoral.

I listen to quite a bit of ambient music( Marconi Union, Loscil and others) as I drift off. I use Apple Music but there is a way to put your music onto it’s servers using iTunes. I just haven’t done that for some time. I’m sure Siri is too dumb to help with that. I’ll have to use my noggin.

Anyway, good sounds here!
Thanks very much for listening and for your impressions/thoughts, Phil. Glad you liked it :)

I think "ambient" is quite an open-ended descriptor, with many sub-genres serving to blur lines of demarcation. I was certainly hoping to create a dark atmosphere here, so I'm glad that worked out.

I often find myself drifting off during late-night mixing sessions, especially when mixing these softer tracks. The fifteenth play-through can be challenging :wink:

layzer wrote:good stuff, tim. really enjoyed the combo of synths and the rain drops hitting different things and the rolling thunder.
Thanks very much, layzer. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I have future plans for that field recording :wink:

Allomerus wrote:Very cool track that fits the intended film scene beautifully. It's very haunting and I love the drones...
Well done Tim!
:)
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, John. Glad it hit the spot for you :)

experimental.crow wrote:
seismic1 wrote:
experimental.crow wrote:i've seen things you people wouldn't believe ...

what a wonderful homage to a visually stunning and heartbreaking sequence ...
wouldn't change one thing ...
a gorgeous composition ...
Thanks very much for the listen, and for the enthusiastic comments, e.c. Glad you enjoyed it :)
experimental.crow wrote: enlighten me as to your use of the sony xperia ...
did you use the 'touch' to set up an interface ?...
I think you are probably crediting me with too much know-how (and possibly cash, too) :wink:

I downloaded an app (Field Recorder) via 4G from the Google Play store (whilst in the wilds of North-Eastern Thailand, as I remember). The recording was made on the phone (Xperia E5823) using the app. I then transferred the wav to my PC via USB for minimal post-processing in Audacity before adding it to the track.
heh ...
just now noticed the price tag on the touch ...
well , one can aspire ...
A musician's lot is 1% aspiration, 99% hyperventilation :wink:

Tension. Love it.
:tu:

StudioDave wrote:Hi seismic !

Yeh, I don't think you should retire any time soon. :)

This is great work, it had my total attention from start to finish. You've conjured some lovely harmonies, and I liked that reverse granulation towards the end, resolving into the sound of the rain and that final low intoning... a beautiful evocation/resonance of the original scene.

re: BR 2049 - I agree, an excellent sequel. Your music has a taste of its flavor.

Best,

dp
Thanks very much for listening, Dave, and also for the most encouraging comments :) I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

The synth is two instances of the same preset in Z3ta+2. After about 10 minutes of noodling around on the keyboard I knew that I would be able to get something presentable together and it seemed to work itself out.

I'm currently in a state of temporarily enforced retirement this year due to major work commitments, so any musical endeavours tend to begin at 1:30 AM these days. I'm hoping to complete something new in the next 4 weeks.

Late to the party (as usual)
This is really, really good. Fantastic atmosphere that grabs you right from the start. It neatly straddles that boundary between something you just have in the background, and something you sit an listen to :phones:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

PatchAdamz wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:45 am
seismic1 wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:My Feedback

Music - 10
Instruments - 10
Performance - 10
Mix - 9.2

Overall - 11

I see we have a new rating system here.....
Really liked this tune, has all the qualities of the good "old School" stuff.

I am hearing some "digital-ness" that could be a bit softer.
Is it the LP EQ maybe?
Thanks very much for the listen and great comments, PatchAdamz. Thanks also for the "surreal" arithmetic :wink: Glad you enjoyed it :D

It may be worth looking into the EQ application on here. The synth playing the higher notes is routed through 2 EQ processors followed by a reverb and two more EQs.

Historically I have always used EnergyXT's internal EQ for the HP and LP application on each mix channel, but on this track I added Equivocate for additional "targeted" cuts. In hindsight It may have been better to use Equivocate for the both the notch and the LP/HP functionality and eliminate the internal EQ if only for the sake of simplicity.
Yea, perhaps that's what I was hearing...
Equivocate can get a bit "digital" dependent on settings.
Nice tool but maybe better to be more subtle with it.
Also, using 2 EQs can create some phase issues that can give sorted results.

But, all else aside, Soundcloud seems to be using more intense processing these days as I have noticed some degradation in quality that seems worse then it used to be....

Any how, great track....
It's looking quite likely that I will have 2 or 3 hours free at the weekend, so I hope to revisit the EQ config here. Even if I don't manage to obtain any discernible improvement, it should be a worthwhile exercise.

htcnext2 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:12 pm Nice deep ambient track. Congrats on the superb atmosphere here.
HM
Thanks very much for listening, and for the great comments, HM. Glad you liked it :)

Terrific sound design. Love the changes at the beginning best.

still enjoying this one, Tim :phones:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”