Flash of the Blade

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As an extra, when I say resonance, it refers to the speaker resonating, sorry, I'm completely clueless when it comes to technical talk regarding music, everything I know is from experimentation, I've tried reading books etc on the subject, it just doesn't make sense. I didn't have access to the internet for quite some time and I only learnt by trial and error. Error being the main source of my learnings
s. :(
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:
Eauson wrote:This has got a really lively and playful feel to it, with a touch of seriousness thrown in for good measure
Thank you for that....that's exactly what it was meant to be...music for an action scene in a '3 Musketeers' movie! :0)
Eauson wrote:picking up some resonances in the first section
I know what resonance means, (been teaching music and music tech up to undergraduate level for decades), but I'm not quite sure what you mean here?

What sort of resonance, what particular frequency range?
I'm unsure of freq range, as I don't use a PC for listening, so do not have spectrum visualise, I send a Bluetooth signal, so this could a cause? It just made my speaker squeal a bit, as its the one I use to check my own mixes for any clashes, it also occurred when I listened solely through my speaker on my tablet which is another thing which I test mixes on, full speakers, RAM audax doesn't appear, however, nowadays playback to a large extent is via portable devices, so I always check. Its in the 0.00 - 0.22 sec range on playback, rises at 9 secs & 16-19 secs.
Could be just my equipment?
Thanks for all this...

ALWAYS happy to check that my pieces aren't doing anything weird in terms of the production, so ALWAYS let me know of any concerns!

Its in the 0.00 - 0.22 sec range on playback, rises at 9 secs & 16-19 secs.

Ran it through frequency spectrum analysis at all these points and nothing came up + I can't hear anything seriously swamping the mix at all...

There is a small bump in loudness at around 400 Hz a couple of times, but very, very minor.

I've sent it to a colleague who's much better at that sort of stuff than me...if there's an issue, he'll spot it! :0) But I think it's fine.

Eauson wrote:As an extra, when I say resonance, it refers to the speaker resonating, sorry, I'm completely clueless when it comes to technical talk regarding music, everything I know is from experimentation, I've tried reading books etc on the subject, it just doesn't make sense. I didn't have access to the internet for quite some time and I only learnt by trial and error. Error being the main source of my learnings
s. :(
You've mentioned RESONANCE a few times on various threads, and I can hear why in at least some of the cases! :0)

just for reference:

Resonance itself is NOT necessarily a good or bad thing...without it there would be no sound!:0)

Just so people definitely know what you mean I would possibly use a phrase like:

Frequency Resonance - which refers to a frequency that is out of control and swamping the mix to some extent.

Or maybe just:

Resonance seemed a little uncontrolled or something similar?

Thanks for all the feedback...I'm always happy to check my tracks!

@Eauson

Your "Aah / Walk In / Walk Out" on another thread...

One of the wisest moments in recent KVR history! :0)

I really don't know why I bother giving feedback somedays! :0

ChamMusic wrote:
Eauson wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:
Eauson wrote:This has got a really lively and playful feel to it, with a touch of seriousness thrown in for good measure
Thank you for that....that's exactly what it was meant to be...music for an action scene in a '3 Musketeers' movie! :0)
Eauson wrote:picking up some resonances in the first section
I know what resonance means, (been teaching music and music tech up to undergraduate level for decades), but I'm not quite sure what you mean here?

What sort of resonance, what particular frequency range?
?
Thanks for all this...

ALWAYS happy to check that my pieces aren't doing anything weird in terms of the production, so ALWAYS let me know of any concerns!

Its in the 0.00 - 0.22 sec range on playback, rises at 9 secs & 16-19 secs.

Ran it through frequency spectrum analysis at all these points and nothing came up + I can't hear anything seriously swamping the mix at all...

There is a small bump in loudness at around 400 Hz a couple of times, but very, very minor.

I've sent it to a colleague who's much better at that sort of stuff than me...if there's an issue, he'll spot it! :0) But I think it's fine.
Agh, trying to edit the post on a small screen, always annoying :(

See, this is a weird thing, with as you say, freq resonance, I have said things on posts that must make some people pull their hair out, trying to decipher my unintelligent explanations of what I hear or dont hear :)
I've said distortion, then I finally came to notice that resonance was a factor, so changed my response, now I can annoy them with freq resonance :D

On my multiple small speakers that I have, these can often give me an insight into sounds that translate well on larger speakers but not small, my main on is an Audax sonosphere and another Mono speaker on a hardened perspex stand which gives me a number of details other speakers miss.
I dont always use them on all the posts , as it seems a bit over the top, but sometimes when I have time..
Oh yeah, I collect speakers ( and stereo equipment), that range in quality, from broadcast standard, others are hand built cabinets, all the way down to my tablet, so many, I've started using them as furniture :D

So i do have some understanding of speakers, I once attempted to repair a speaker and coil, not successful, but I did glean some interesting insight and i have a limited electrical background, one of my multitude of jobs over the years

Walk in/walk out seemed the best option at the time, especially after the response he gave to you, the poster would probably try to wear my virtual face as q trophy if I'd mentioned disortion/resonance :D

Okay, end of ramble...
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Brilliant work as usual. I enjoyed the intricate orchestration. The counterpoint with the choir is amazing! Masterful. :love:

Frantz wrote:Brilliant work as usual. I enjoyed the intricate orchestration. The counterpoint with the choir is amazing! Masterful. :love:
Thank you! :0)

I enjoyed the intricate orchestration....glad that you thought it worked as it was deliberately a little bit more delicate at times than the last one...those flashing blades you know! :0)

As you probably know, I love this kind of music.

and this tune, is no exception

AngelCityOutlaw wrote:As you probably know, I love this kind of music.

and this tune, is no exception
Thank you!

My last one on here was probably even more SWASHBUCKLING! :0)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=502880

top stuff as usual, Mark.

honestly, i dont think ANYONE can hear this resonance
the resonance guy mentions in just about every one of his
comments. i think he is the only one that can SEE it with
whatever super resonance visual display tool he is using. :roll:

at least my frequency spectrum visuals can be seen AND heard. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:top stuff as usual, Mark.

honestly, i dont think ANYONE can hear this resonance
the resonance guy mentions in just about every one of his
comments. i think he is the only one that can SEE it with
whatever super resonance visual display tool he is using. :roll:

at least my frequency spectrum visuals can be seen AND heard. :idea:
Thank you!

I think the resonance comments are going to stop for a while now as he's mentioned in another thread that no one else is mentioning it at all! :0)

Your frequency comments have helped my tweak quite a few pieces over the years + I've 'tamed' my use of reverb and my pursuit of loudness on the back of your good advice as well...just keep it coming! :0)

ChamMusic,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your "Flash of the Blade": I was raised Catholic, and converted to another church 30 years ago, if that makes any difference (probably not). Anyway, the orchestral and human chorus sounds sound very realistic; high quality. Not that I have tried Omnisphere (not cheap!), but I didn't know it could do a Boys Choir like that. The song has a bit of a Christmas vibe for me somehow (not a bad thing), or maybe a soundtrack for a movie that plays around Christmas time? Nice melodies everywhere, well done all around! :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote:ChamMusic,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your "Flash of the Blade": I was raised Catholic, and converted to another church 30 years ago, if that makes any difference (probably not). Anyway, the orchestral and human chorus sounds sound very realistic; high quality. Not that I have tried Omnisphere (not cheap!), but I didn't know it could do a Boys Choir like that. The song has a bit of a Christmas vibe for me somehow (not a bad thing), or maybe a soundtrack for a movie that plays around Christmas time? Nice melodies everywhere, well done all around! :)
Thank you for the feedback - much appreciated!

Not totally sure about the 'Christmas Movie' vibe...maybe a Christmas Adventure Theme? I'll have a listen to a few Christmas Film themes and compare them! :0)

ChamMusic wrote:
aaron aardvark wrote:ChamMusic,
Thank you for the feedback - much appreciated!

Not totally sure about the 'Christmas Movie' vibe...maybe a Christmas Adventure Theme? I'll have a listen to a few Christmas Film themes and compare them! :0)
Actually, having just listened to a few Christmas film themes and then compared them with this piece, I CAN hear what you mean! :0)

Lots of energy. Good tunes. I can hear Christmas as well.
Jazz Clarinet Rocks - well sort of Swings anyway!

Return to “Music Cafe”