donkeyt-hopeless case - indie/retro soul?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

God is dead, or so I've heard.

sjm wrote:God is dead, or so I've heard.
Obviously not. A guess: You read it in a book called “Also sprach Zarathustra” by Friedrich Nietzsche, right? Well he is the dead one, rest is envy.

Cool stuff!
Soulful and space-y (in a way....)

:tu:

Cheers

Laguna Rising wrote:space-y (in a way....)
Cheers! Well, of course the little muted guitar chords (there will be a proper name for them, of which I'm blissfully unaware... :clown: ) are common to reggae as well as soul/funk, and the bassline has a bit of the reggae about it too - the only thing being that everything is emphasising the first beat of the bar rather than the third.

It's almost as if I know what I'm doing sometimes.

I agree with someone before telling you it sounds like Prefab Sprout. It has got that vibe, definitely!

Why do you mix your vocals so far back? I feel like I'd love to hear it more up front but still with the space in the background and sides. Maybe something like stereo widener to make it take up more space in the mix. Maybe it's the sound you are going for and if it is - Go for it. This is just my personal opinion.

And with more I mean in context of the song of course. It shouldn't be overwhelming either!

Good job! :D

Only listened on my phone, but, vox was too upfront, and some parts too lazy (timing wise. Think Buble...)

IncarnateX wrote:
Obviously not.
True. You cannot die if you don't exist.

IncarnateX wrote:
Obviously not. A guess: You read it in a book called “Also sprach Zarathustra” by Friedrich Nietzsche, right? Well he is the dead one, rest is envy.
The version I heard (probably the Twitter cliff notes or something) went:

Nietzsche: God is dead!
God: Nietzsche is dead!
The End.

I've not actually read Nietzsche's works myself; the people I know who have read him have not exactly sung his praises, and that hardly inspires me to want to read them. Maybe you can convince me otherwise...

Instead I have a few choice quotes to throw into random conversations like this one. The quote about not forgetting your whip is a great chat up line for example.

Oh dear I have turned this thread into HPC material :dog: sorryyyyy!

Okay, let me rephrase then: I really like dt’s music. There is a raw soul to it that speaks to my own life and upbringing somehow. I like the music and relaxed moods in general and not at least his humor when he goes silly. And I think he shows great and varied musical skills and he is not afraid to experiment. It has been a long time since music had all these effects on me at the same time. Though I am not speaking of the present tune only but the great stuff on Bandcamp too from the “Day of the Donkey” album. I have never really concentrated on the Music Cafe forum during my 9 years at KVR, so I had no idea we had such a talent (imo) among us.

To me dt does not sound like whatever known artist but has his own unique character.

Sorry if this is too much, dt, but that is really how I feel about it.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

IncarnateX wrote:Oh dear I have turned this thread into HPC material :dog: sorryyyyy!

Okay, let me rephrase then: I really like dt’s music. There is a raw soul to it that speaks to my own life and upbringing somehow. I like the music and relaxed moods in general and not at least his humor when he goes silly. And I think he shows great and varied musical skills and he is not afraid to experiment. It has been a long time since music had all these effects on me at the same time. Though I am not speaking of the present tune only but the great stuff on Bandcamp too from the “Day of the Donkey” album. I have never really concentrated on the Music Cafe forum during my 9 years at KVR, so I had no idea we had such a talent (imo) among us.

To me dt does not sounds like whatever known artist but has his own unique character.

Sorry if this is too much, dt, but that is really how I feel about it.
DT is one of the more talented people here as far as pure songwriting goes. Plus he's got a really cool voice. I really enjoy listening to his stuff. I wish he'd post more of it.

Thanks for pointing out that I may not be the only one who thinks dt’s music is a little extraordinary compared to general standards. However, to me there is a soul to it that takes it further. Either dt is from a working class/lower middle class environment like myself or has a pretty vivid imagination about people who are. I think you may have to have been there to hear this little extra than just the music.

I don’t want to embarrass dt, however, the only precaution I can give is that my brain is sound addicted and generally able to spot pleasing textures and excitement in anything from vaguely organized noise and beyond, so I am your worst critic anyway, because I am not tuned toward critiscism at all, but the opposite.

Periphery wrote:I agree with someone before telling you it sounds like Prefab Sprout. It has got that vibe, definitely!

Why do you mix your vocals so far back? I feel like I'd love to hear it more up front but still with the space in the background and sides. Maybe something like stereo widener to make it take up more space in the mix. Maybe it's the sound you are going for and if it is - Go for it. This is just my personal opinion.

And with more I mean in context of the song of course. It shouldn't be overwhelming either!

Good job! :D
Hehe, the bastard singing...

Always need to let things settle a few weeks, and tinker about with the levels, but in general I'm about happy with the level of this (for now...), being an old indie bastard, I don't like the modern way where the vocals seem to 'sit on top' of the rest of the music... I do a lot of times use big stereo effects (multitracking, harmonizers etc) but for this I wanted it to be very stripped back - just a bit of eq, compression, a smidgen of slapback delay, and a plate reverb....and I think it does sound the better for it, for this track.
Last edited by donkey tugger on Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnX wrote:Only listened on my phone, but, vox was too upfront, and some parts too lazy (timing wise. Think Buble...)
Any particular parts? One needs to bear in mind that you did once state that John Bonham's drumming was sloppy. :hihi:

IncarnateX wrote:Thanks for pointing out that I may not be the only one who thinks dt’s music is a little extraordinary compared to general standards. However, to me there is a soul to it that takes it further. Either dt is from a working class/lower middle class environment like myself or has a pretty vivid imagination about people who are. I think you may have to have been there to hear this little extra than just the music.

I don’t want to embarrass dt, however, the only precaution I can give is that my brain is sound addicted and generally able to spot pleasing textures and excitement in anything from vaguely organized noise and beyond, so I am your worst critic anyway, because I am not tuned toward critiscism at all, but the opposite.
All good, just don't turn up at my work with a gun or owt... :lol:

donkey tugger wrote:
AnX wrote:Only listened on my phone, but, vox was too upfront, and some parts too lazy (timing wise. Think Buble...)
Any particular parts? One needs to bear in mind that you did once state that John Bonham's drumming was sloppy. :hihi:
True, and Hendrix masked his poor guitar technique with tons of FX :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”