KVRers' Tribute to John Peel

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I haven't really thought this through, but f**k it.

There's enough of us here who loved the guy and are endebted to him, and will miss him terribly, so why not show it?

A Tribute to Peely*

discuss.

*A complete free-for-all, obviously 8) :D

I knew Peel as the GodFather of Grind-Core. No one else gave that genre the time of day..

He helped bands like Napalm Death get off the ground, which would have kept the world from seeing:

GodFlesh
Scorn
Pitchshifter
Fear Factory
Front Line Assembly
Liabach
Paradise Lost
Old Lady Drivers
Fudge Tunnel
Cathedral

and countless other bands from seeing the light of day or going on to influence the bands that influenced many bands today..

He helped carve a niche for industial metal & I thank him for years & years of great music as a result..

Salude, and Safe Journey!
Last edited by Sicklecell666 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, i dont know what i could do as a tribute except to say...

he introduced me to some of my fav bands, kept me entertained many a night, and even up to his last shows, played some of the best acid techno i ever heard. He loved music, all of it. To be sadly missed by millions.

Cheers John :wink:

Kriminal wrote:Well, i dont know what i could do as a tribute
music!

that's why I put this in the Music Cafe :)

good idea !!!

someone make this happen (ive got too much on at the moment) ...

slainte 8) rob

Music? Oh! Ok, here's a very old & eaten tape transfer from the Sickle Underground..Peel would have been proud!

:D

pissed666

On your knees bitches..

:hihi:

Music it is then. An old track, but dedicated to John on this sad day, so get up and dance....

THRU YOUR HEART

what i loved the most about john is...the way he gave as much time to each and every genre , he managed to find quality all over....virtually every scene can say they owe a lot to him.

as someone said on the radio......if god is a dj....surely hes out of a job now?

sicklecell666 wrote: Liabach
Um, Laibach predate Napalm, and were more influenced by TG and Neubauten in their very early phase, though they did incorporate some metal elements in their golden years (No doubt they still do, but they haven't made a worthwhile record since Opus Dei, so I wouldn't know.)

It was Peel that brought Laibach to the attention of the west though...

dystonia_ek wrote: It was Peel that brought Laibach to the attention of the west though...
That was entirely my point. I didn't mean to convey ND was responsible for Liabach, just that he helped get attention to all those acts, although Napalm Death & it's splinter bands influenced a vast amount of others in very diffrent genres & are largely unnoticed or acknowledged today.

edit: I haven't listened to em since Opus Dei either..

OK ladies and gentleman...

Here's the deal as I see it thus far.

I'd like this to happen instead of December's competition (which could rollover to January). At this stage, as befits the subject, I'd like there to be as few rules as possible, so that means Free For All.

Do what you love, and do it to the best of your abilities, with the results to be compiled, selections made on a "high-score" basis (however many fit on 1 CD, or 2, or...). That's the most pragmatic approach I can think of right now - if anyone can think of anything fairer, go right ahead.

More details to follow "as and when". Never done this before, and I'm just dashing this off. :oops:

Get to it! :D

(this will have 'official' status as far as im concerned BTW)

slainte 8) rob

pHz wrote:(this will have 'official' status as far as im concerned BTW)

slainte 8) rob
:band2:

time for some blastbeat :D

PEEL ACHERS

for a title ???

slainte :( rob

Good idea people... I'm up for doing a track for this tribute.

Ben

Return to “Music Cafe”