KVR member releases - GOSSIP

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Black Serpent Dreaming: Rites of Passage is a portrayal of an immense cave dwelling, its dark, solemn walls painted with mystical stories long forgotten, still breathing and echoing with forsaken rites of eons long passed, primeval essence still seething through the deep crevices within. With approximately 60 different layers of sound overall, the record is one of the most complex, evocative and vivid pieces in Na-Koja-Abad's catalogue, with plenty of variation throughout, and a vast amount of organic, incidental and percussive sounds.

This long-form shamanic ambience comes on April 1, 2005 on the Gears of Sand label.

Also note that, to commemorate Gears of Sand Recording's 2nd Anniversary the first 20 copies of both, GOS 8: Black Serpent Dreaming: Rites of Passage by Na-Koja-Abad and GOS 9: Drones for Bosal by Ben Fleury-Steiner (the label owner, ambient artist and reviewer) will be released as a special 2-for-1 at a special discount price.

Here's a new review of my second album, Fleeting Glimpses, by Bill Binkelman, editor of the Wind and Wire ambient e-zine:
I'm rather late coming to the Na-Koja-Abad's party (a.k.a. Muamer Music), a young Bosnian who crafts amazing ethno-tribal ambient music that rivals the best from the acknowledged masters, e.g. Steve Roach, Tuu, vidnaObmana, Amir Baghiri, et al. He is one of the "new breed" of stars in this resurrected subgenre, joining Jeff Kowal (a.k.a Terra Ambient) Michael Mage, Max Corbacho and others who are just now coming into their own. Fleeting Glimpses is a stunning recording, infused with such primal energy and mystical power that it's almost exhausting listening to it all the way through in one sitting. I haven't played this CD in a pitch black room yet and I may never do so for fear of losing myself in its whirlpool of sensual tribal rhythms and smoldering dense swirls of ambient darkness. Wielding a combination of synths, processors and sequencers, as well as all manner of ethnic percussion and drums (e.g. frame drum, darbukas, djembe, rattles, rainstick, shakers, etc.) Na-Koja-Abad takes the listener on a journey way upriver, into the deep darkness at its headwaters under a canopy of trees that stretches to the heavens, obscuring all but a trace of daylight.

While the ambient drifting passages are excellent at creating a moody and spacious atmosphere, it's when this artist plunges into his percussion and drumming that Fleeting Glimpses pulls you in, e.g. the slowly evolving drums at the start of "Within the Waking Dream" which beat out a steady rhythm amidst the swirling synthesizers and steady ebbing/flowing drones which course underneath them. It's not difficult to visualize sitting by a campfire and observing a ritual dance by tribal members, as they circle the flames in a spiritual quest for enlightenment from their gods or ancestors. The later integration of synthesized exotic bird calls (via outer-spacy synthesizers) increases the illusion that you have been transported to another place and another time entirely.

"Fleeting Glimpses" starts out with what sounds like rattling clay wind-chimes and a mournful horn-like sound but morphs into deep drones buried underneath pulsing "Mines of Moria" drums that grow ever more intense and insistent. "Liquid Silhouettes" opens with frame drums and a scratchy percussive effect taking center stage while the background contains hushed deep vocal-like synths. As elsewhere on the CD, things start to heat up, as both the drones and electronic textures, as well as the rhythms, escalate in volume and energy. As I mentioned above, if you immerse yourself in this recording, you're gonna get a workout, unless you can listen to music this passionate yet remain dispassionate while doing so (and if you can, what's the point then?).

Two things stand out in the final analysis of Fleeting Glimpses. One is that Muamer Music is an amazing percussionist. Taking nothing away from the other artists mentioned above earlier in this review, if this man's drumming skills don't blow you away, as they did me, I don't know what it takes to impress you. His work on frame drum, in particular, has to be heard to be believed! The second thing is the seamless blending of both percussive power and ambient sensuality in this recording. I only wish I had given this recording enough playings before I had put together my list of top recordings of 2004, because surely this would have placed on it. My apologies go to this highly talented artist who deserves accolades aplenty for crafting such an exceptional album. Fleeting Glimpses is one of the best ethno-tribal/dark ambient recordings since the start of the millenium and fans of that genre would be doing themselves a huge disservice to not give it serious consideration. Highly recommended!

No reviews of Kriminal's Vapour Trails CD here yet? :-o
Finally got my copy last week :hyper:
Review coming here soon. 8)

I dont mention my pop stuff here as there is a bit of an anti-pop/hip hop/RnB/ bias but here is a CD that just came out with two of my underground DnB songs on it (Tampa Tantrum and In Your Arms)..

though it doesnt say it on the tower site (the artist names are hidden) Tampa Tantrum and In Your Arms were written by me and signed to Tehnorganic awhile ago..

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=3280800
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/psycle

"In Your Arms" is also available on another compilation called "Girls In Space"
http://www.spun.com/music/product-detail.jsp?id=2288273

Lady J wrote:I dont mention my pop stuff here as there is a bit of an anti-pop/hip hop/RnB/ bias
That's just silly. I, for one, like hip hop, and some kinds of r'n'b and pop.

:D

Just to say I have a cd for download that anyone can have.

Some of the files on this are old ones and being updated, but not on the site.

http://www.thefakedj.co.uk

:D fake :D
You cant beat people up then have them say "I love you"

hello all, :-)
here is Roel Steverink's (a reviewer for many well-known EM magazines) detailed comments (track by track) on the third cd album from Parallel Worlds:

"1. Lifecircles is a good start. It's dark, lively with nice bell sounds, mysterious effects. You inventiveness in the rhythm department is also admirable. There are enough twists and turns to make it exciting through out. Finally excellent arrangment. Great piece.
2. Musique Electronique Part 1. Combination of Kraftwerk and DM. Nice but not special. I don't know, meaby I have problems with the combination of strict Kraftwerkish
drum beat and floating strings.
3. Musique Electronique Part 2. Much better, due to the strong floating melody? Nice those human esque voices. I like the DM-kind of effects after two minutes and certainly the dark slabs. Overall Good one.
4. Dreamstate. A real pearl. Very fantastical beginning. This reminds me of the music Maurice Jarre made for the Sci Fi movie Dreamscape. It fascinates through out.
Everything in the right place. Sublime effects!!!
5. Borrowing time from God. Nice, but still a bit boring, too much repeat of the dark played notes.
6. Far away light. Now this is what I call a jewel!!! It shines in every respect. Strange melody lines capture effortlessly the attention and mood of the listener. Superb arrangment. Very emotional too, real surging this piece.
7. Soulgates. Damn! This is far too short!!! Could have been the beginning of a real grand opus.
8. Misty Journey. Dreamstate reprise. It develops real quick in an emotional burner! And then...yes, the best melodie of the whole album can be heard! This so good and yet can be heard so little! And o yes I like the those pure electronic effects near the end!!!
9. Expectations. If this could be and I only mean the atmosphere here of course could be a taste of your upcoming ambient album... This is without doubt my favourite track from the album. It stays so dark in atmosphere and soundwise fascinates like an ancient enigma.
10. Fading Memories. And is it then possible to go wrong with the closer? No, I don't think so. Even good old mellotron pops up and places this right halfway the 70s, well for a moment cause the base line and rhythm are more modern. I only think it doesn't hold the whole 16 minutes. "

of course, this new third cd album can be bought direct from the Shima Records website ( www.shimarecords.co.uk ) and, very soon, from cdbaby.com, groove.nl, tower records and also as a mp3 download from apple's i-tunes, yahoo! music, and many other legal mp3 download sites.
best regards, :-)
bakis.

Why didnt you ask us for a track? :)
we just play some music....

hello all, :-)
Parallel Worlds - Existence CD album is in the October's Top 20 albums of Bill Fox's Galactic Travels radio ambient/electronic music show.
see here: http://wdiy.org/programs/gt/playlists/2 ... 20oct.html

also, some other well-know EM cd albums, (and E-dition#9 cd) are there too!
the top 20 list is in non-ranked, alphanumeric order.

best regards, :-)
bakis.

Review of Na-Koja-Abad's "Fleeting Glimpses" record by Paul Jury @ Morpheus Music
STYLE - Deep dark ambience with rich ethno-tribal drumming. Na-Koja-Abad crafts smooth lustrous sheets of sound punctuated with percussive skitterings, shufflings and hypnotic hand-made beats. At times the peripheral sounds resemble strange subterranean creatures lurking in the gloom, at times vast movements of air - the rhythmic percussion dominates the central section of most tracks with ceremonial intensity, repeating and evolving whilst underlying drones writhe and swell. When the beats dissipate, there are moments of ethereal calm or cavernous shadow allowing layered synths to sigh, gasp and breathe.

MOOD - Cavernous, tenebrous - at times environmental effects introduce nature's serenity, such as the manipulated/manufactured singing of birds, at others human influences both primitive and contemporary produce a devotional solemnity. Sections of drifting softness, harmonious and warm well up and send the listener floating, passages of shade and gravity creep in bringing weight and density. The range of real skinned, struck and shaken instruments - frame drum, darbuka, djembe, rainstick, shakers and rattles - employed with mesmerising skill suggest a ritualistic tone in perfect balance with the often doleful music that spirals smoke-like into the night sky.

ARTWORK - Attractive graphics adorn this package throughout - graphically enhanced atmospheric scenes under a heavy sky, underground and seemingly under water - all produced by the artist himself. The colours are rich and deep, the textures hyper-real, the light magical, beautiful. Text is functional and of an elegant font - track times on the rear cover, credits on the reverse of the booklet and a simple couplet inside - "From a breath, was what the old man said... It is all from the one breath...". Website details are provided and there you can get a look at more graphics and a complete discography http://www.na-koja-abad.com

OVERALL - Sarajevo based musician Muamer Music is the man behind Na-Koja-Abad, meaning “land of nowhere”. The term was apparently a phrase taken from 12th-century Persian mystic Sohrawardi to describe a place "that is everywhere, and yet nowhere, a realm of spirituality where existence is solemnly suspended, not reflected on anything but itself". Released on Jungle Jar Records, Fleeting Glimpses is the second album from this interesting project where organic rhythmic patterns and dense ambient drones weave their spell.

WHO WILL LIKE THIS ALBUM - Fleeting Glimpses is a professionally executed album that will appeal to lovers of beat-driven ambient. If you like Byron Metcalf's percussive work and the smooth, unfurling sound worlds of Numina or Steve Roach then this is a CD well worth listening to.

Review of Na-Koja-Abad's "Black Serpent Dreaming: Rites of Passage" record by Philip Derby @ ElectroAmbient Space
I first wrote about Na-Koja-Abad when I raved about his Fleeting Glimpses CD in the August issue of EAS. Black Serpent Dreaming shows that this strong showing was not a one-time wonder. This time, a single track of dark organic ambience meanders its way through an hour of subtle twists and turns. Instrumentation is wide ranging, from wood, rocks, rattles and bottles to vector synthesis and algorithmic soundscaping. Things go bump in the night, or ring out shrilly above the rest, or part murky waters, or float serenely by. There is a constant ebb and flow to it, a restless churning of sounds that manages to be simultaneously disturbing and yet soothing. This is heady stuff for deep exploration inward, though it could also serve as background music with a bite. No detectable melody appears, and although there is no rhythm per se, the richly organic sounds have considerable substance, such that the floating and drifting has rough edges to it. Water is a recurring theme, and it is the last sound left as the disc fades. Black Serpent Dreaming will take you to faraway exotic places – all without leaving your living room.

I'm currently working on a new solo project, slated for a Spring/Summer 2006 release, featuring deep, meditative drones, ambient washes and fx, and passages of organic, tribal polyrhythms and ethereal soundscapes.

Here's a small image of the front cover art:

Cheers.

Sometimes things take their time. The Monochrome album is now available from excellent Danish CDR label Organic Pipeline. Please buy to support this label and check out the other releases as well. It's only $6 - so no one is making any money. It's all for your pleasure.

pHz wrote:please use this thread to comment on / review / discuss any of the music officially released by KVR members (see this thread for more details) ...

slainte :phones: rob
Just noticed this, so...
http://andrew-duke.com has graphics of all my releases;
clicking on a graphic will take you to a related page with
sound clips, etc.

Andrew "fightin' the flu" Duke :(

Return to “Music Cafe”