[detroit techno netrelease] ronny pries - distant paths

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[_info]

_rohformat resident president ronny pries returns to take us down 'distant paths'. a journey into rhythm and space so naturally lucid in his style that my stomache's current rolling and growling of hunger easily identifies with the relationships of the sound rolling over each other and the great tension inside. it's almost uncanny how it happens.. as i think of food, my stomach rotates in perculated rhythm. much is same way that rp's music cycles around each other when his bass, synths and minimalist elements present themselves to the percussive dominance. traveling each path, each part, each element of focus and influencing whats next. come eat some detroit techno.

>>> http://www.rohformat.de or download directly:

ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/music/groups/bm ... part_i.mp3
ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/music/groups/bm ... art_ii.mp3
ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/music/groups/bm ... rt_iii.mp3
ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/music/groups/bm ... art_iv.mp3

infotext by [aaron|one]

feedback welcome!
rp
aka rktic. demoscener (Farbrausch, Holon, MFX, Still), sound designer, ux-dude, sth @AudioRealism, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

Very impressed, being a dj/fan/maker of detroit tech I really like the vibe of this song, heavy kick, minimal instrumentation.

This song is NOT Derrick May's vision of creating a new kind of jazz, but more of a european style dance floor track. I must say I rarely ever enjoy dancing these days, but if I heard this in the club I would most certainly dance.

I think a lot of KVRer's will find this a bit repetitive, but having been a dj of this style I'd say I would buy your album, probably not as prime time material, but good building blocks to create a good dance floor vibe off of.

Good luck,
Cska Torpedo

ps check your pm's.
Life IS short, enjoy.

Techno as it should be, with a seeming nod to Mills and Hood. Pure minimal goodness.

Not being a dj nor a maker but a fan of detroit and cleveland techno I quite liked it.

I really like iv!

BTW I edited your post to fix the link to iv as it was pointing to a non existent vi ;)

Wow. This is great stuff -- minimal, subtle, yet moving. Exactly what techno should be. Highly recommended for all KVR techno-heads.

ps. glad I got to listen to it. When I see Ben's name last on the thread I figure it's been closed. :-o :-o :-o
And all life's fears
Can invade my ears
I can handle it

Will chime in with the chorus and say these really are great. Love the minimal Detroit vibe. Enjoyed these as much as Kevin Saunderson's e-dancer from a few years ago.

Cheers,
Steve

oh nice, didn't know there are really some 313 heads around here :)

thanks for your feedback guys & thanks ben for fixing the link!

if anyone's up to that i can also supply some detroit techno mixes but don't want to simply post the sets due to possible copyright reasons (ben, how do you handle that?)

cheers,
ronny
aka rktic. demoscener (Farbrausch, Holon, MFX, Still), sound designer, ux-dude, sth @AudioRealism, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

got double-posted. removed.

Ronny Pries wrote:oh nice, didn't know there are really some 313 heads around here :)

thanks for your feedback guys & thanks ben for fixing the link!

if anyone's up to that i can also supply some detroit techno mixes but don't want to simply post the sets due to possible copyright reasons (ben, how do you handle that?)

cheers,
ronny
I'm known for being an electroacoustic noise freak, but I got really into the Detroit scene right around 1990. I still think that much of the techno produced between then and around '94 really defined the peak of the genre - Mills' Waveform Transmission records (especially Vol.1, which is just the perfect balance of groove and sheer agression), UR, the early +8/Probe singles, Basic Channel (German, I know, but they had that feel)... it's good to know that that approach still survives somewhere. You've definitely got 'that' sound, and it's bloody good stuff. (and not a supersaw in sight, thank (insert deity of your choice here).

I grew up in the 313....lived in the city from 88-92 and even went to some of the nights Packard plant...and mostly didn't like it at all (until like 1997). I was mostly into goth/industrial then, and all of the techno innovators dj'ed at industrial clubs for a while (Hawtin at the Shelter, Mays at City Club)...those were awesome nights for me. I remember many weekends hunting down tracks that didn't exist (we didn't know they were remixing the tracks live, djing was a very misunderstood art at that time).

Anyway, sweet tracks. They remind me of Aril Brikha (the Swede with the arabic name that makes great Detroit techno).

Mark
And all life's fears
Can invade my ears
I can handle it

Nice work. Listening to part 2 as I type. This is taking me back to that place when I fell in love with minimal techno the first time.

I used to play this stuff in the clubs back east for years. Old age has taken me in more of a tech house/progressive direction, but I still really appreciate the hypnotic modulation of a theme over a minimal beat.

This is deep. This is the real thing.
http://www.tekfunk.com/
http://www.myspace.com/tekfunk
"No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life." -Albert Einstein

nice work rp =]

your music is always appreciated by my ears

YES! this is proper techno! superb tunes, post links to those mixes too please!!!!
galaxy rayyys! powerful.

dystonia,

'94 was definitely huge. however i think that, whatever makes the essence of the detroit sound, has been omnipresent ever since then. although most of the stuff from back in the days still has the biggest impact on me (as you will probably guess from my sets :)

secondskin,
aril's album "departure in time" is fantastic. wonder what that guy's been up to the last years.

thank all you guys for the heads up! here are some sets:

"timewarp" (oldschool detroit) - 92mb - 1h40m19s - playlist here
"back in the days" (acid house) 73mb - 1h19m58s - playlist here
"the d" (313 from now to then) - 112mb - 1h20m54s - playlist here
"digital meltdown" (this'n'that) - 1h30m05s - playlist here

cheers,
ronny
Last edited by Ronny Pries on Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”