A real fusion piece

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a tune I wrote and started producing 11 years ago:

http://www.decamusic.com/the_performing ... Dragon.mp3

At the time I was begining to learn the ropes of being a musician/composer/engineer/producer (I am still a beginner in many aspects)

I made so many mistakes during these recordings...

I was using 2 ADATs and a Digidisign audio media 2 with a 25 Mhtz Mac !

I had no idea what dithering was so I was dithering the same tracks over and over

As time went by and I wasn't happy with the result, I would add some of the latest toys I had bought. I started these tracks with a Roland JV 80 and a Yamaha TX802. I used Battery for the drums and when Stylus came out I added some loops. I also used Reaktor for some percs loops and Pentagon 1 for some synths.

I had some of my friends come and play on these tracks:

Will Calhoun is doing a percussion track using a Korg Wave drum,

Ralph Bowen plays the tenor sax and the flute

John Swana plays trumpet and the EV

I play guitar

After leaving it alone for 2 years, this afternoon I brought up this tune that I never seemed to be able to finish. It's been 11 years now and I got sick of redoing it over and over...so I decided that I would just mix it with all its imperfections and come to a closure. That's it, no more. It's yours now.

I hope that you'll enjoy some of it, dated and all...

8)
very cool tune. Really liked the sax and trumpet stuff; cool synth solo too. (guitar ain't bad either)
good composition.
Just wish the bass was brought up a bit more, there seems to be more high frequencies and I couldn't really feel the bass as the anchor for the rhythm. of course, as I listen a second time, and really crank it up, it's there for sure, but a bit more!
again, love the sax, really love the trumpet and the good chick style (ok, that might stretch it) synth solo.

what did you use for bass, btw?
I'd love to hear topaz lay down a bass part for this.

really like this ...
got a larry coryell / 11th house rush from it ...

agree with gary re: the bass ...

Very very good work. Fusion always leaves me a bit 'cold' in the vibe department, but that includes world-famous and hugely respected fusion, too, so it's nothing but my personal tastes getting in the way. ;)

Didn't stop me from checking it out and really enjoying the musicianship. Also, great horn sound! Skilful guitar playing, too!

Thank God the title (Slaying the Dragon) was NOT an indicator of flightly crappy Celtic-inspired fusion. This at least had integrity. :D

Greg

Well it took Brian Wilson about 40 years to finish an album ;)

As before mentioned the bass just doesn't seem to ride that great in here and misses that warm encompassing feel it should have in this top tune.

What I loved in here very much was the brass section, there just isn't anything like real brass played very well.

A beautiful track that couldn't have found a better place then posted during this Top-Tunes-Week

Thanks so much for the compliments guys! :)

I was fortunate to have a few friends around to contribute great playing on these tracks (I have about 10 other tracks in the same style with the same personel + Richard Bona and some great African and Caraibean musicians)

I can't agree more about the bass not being what it should be. I can't even remember what I used at the time (JV80?) and maybe a 5 strings Ibanez with a pretty bad sound to it.
Your positive feedback might get me to redo it using Scarbee's Finder'n'Slap and nail it this time.

Hopefully it won't take another 10 years this time :P

Düdeli düdeli.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

100% class, thanks soooooooo much :D :D :D

although my tastes are now big and wide top class fusion still and always will make me happy.

you guys have the perfect mix of great playing with cool sounds.

200%

/topaz :love:

Cool piece. I love the stuff from 3 minutes in, excellent stuff, but my narrow tastes mean I'm not so into the guitar solo stuff preceding :P

Love the synth solo at 3:30 ish :D
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.

Sascha Franck wrote:Düdeli düdeli.
I looked for a german/english dictionary to get a translation for düdeli. Nada, je ne comprends pas?

Thank you for the kind words Topaz!

Griels, thanks!

Here's a tune I wrote and started producing 11 years ago
That makes for about 7 or 8 songs in a lifetime. :) :wink:

...but hey if they were all this good, you should be happy....I would be. 8)

Great work...I agree with what has been pointed out so far. I thoroughly enjoyed this. Get the bass done and rap this baby up! :D

dano
"In a sky full of people, only some want to fly,
Isn’t that crazy?"

Patrick de Caumette wrote:Here's a tune I wrote and started producing 11 years ago:............

After leaving it alone for 2 years, this afternoon I brought up this tune that I never seemed to be able to finish. It's been 11 years now and I got sick of redoing it over and over...so I decided that I would just mix it with all its imperfections and come to a closure. That's it, no more. It's yours now.

I hope that you'll enjoy some of it, dated and all...
Great tune.
Dated : not.
work on it great jazz. I actually zoned out whilst typing this sentence.
(between the words "zoned" and "whilst"). ..

Yeah, cool!

Almost got me a Kazumi Watanabe meets Ben Neill feel in parts! :) (then again, I suppose we all hear what we're familiar with, mostly...)

- m
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

danielmm wrote:
Here's a tune I wrote and started producing 11 years ago
That makes for about 7 or 8 songs in a lifetime. :) :wink:
dano
:D ...well, I wrote a zillion tunes in the meantime but since this one was part of my pet project (no commercial compromise)I have been too perfectionist about it.
Great tune.
Dated : not.
work on it great jazz. I actually zoned out whilst typing this sentence.
(between the words "zoned" and "whilst"). ..
Happy to hear you don't find it dated. That's a good sign.
Do you mean that you entered a space time vortex while listening to my tune?
Waow, I should charge big box for time travel facilitation now!
Almost got me a Kazumi Watanabe meets Ben Neill feel in parts! (then again, I suppose we all hear what we're familiar with, mostly...)
Man, I have to catch up with the times!
Haven't heard anything by these 2 cats :?

Thanks for the very nice comments guys!

Return to “Music Cafe”