TC: Space Station

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was watching NASA TV and got inspired by the images from the space station, thus this piece.
Uses Midi Guitar and Algorithmics

SPACE STATION

http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=639

VST's:
1. M42 nebula for the lead
2.ManyStation Bass
3.EVE with Evalon soundset for voices
4. TriangleII
5.A freebie drum machine ( can't remember)

all on Receptor..recorded in Tracktion.
Algorithmics: From Atari computers: Tunesmith and MIDI Grid. More on this later.

Enjoy!

TC

great stuff, tim! sounds like it'd fit right in on 'hearts of space' radio.

expressive , and lush ...

lurv the interweaving arpish elements ...

Fun tune, TC. I like the bell sounds and expressive leads. I also dig the hi-hat stuff you're doing and I'm glad you panned it hard to the right like you did. That lead at the end is to die for. I really, really want M42 after hearing all your stuff, but I'm gonna have to put it off until I can afford it (probably in June). You know how much I love those mono leads!

So cool that you do all this on the MIDI guitar!

tim watching nasa tv? never? :hihi:
first off not sure i like the bests too fizzy for the rest of the track(to my ears anyway but please bear in mind im not really a beats fan hehe)
anyway that out of the way lovely im hearing ozricy moments here n there which is always good:)
the bell riff is instantly appealing and draws me in completely
any chance of a beat free mix or perhaps some bongos?

Hi all

Thanks for the comments so far.

heres my own on the creation of this and perhaps the algorithmics need some explaining.

I used two atari computers ( a Falcon and an STe) I had the STe set up with Jim Johnson's Tunesmith ( a DR T program) This program is FANTASTIC. It pumps out 6 parts, based on a theme that you can program. So the first thing you hear ( right after the lush pad) is tunesmith with one part. Then I started unmutting parts sparenly, so then you hear the bells, then the kick , then the hi-hat, then the snare..all being generated from tunesmith and actually playing VST's in Receptor ( you can use Receptor as a multi-timbral module)

and vurt: i wanted the beat in because thats what reminds me of the space station..a syncopated beat.

Then I programmed another Algo app that was actually coded from a dream I had! I had this dream, and someone took that dream and made an Atari program from it. Its called Midi Grid, and literally is a dream come true.:-)

MIDI grid was controlling my arsonal of hardware synths such as DX7, TX81Z, K1, FB01, ect. So when you hear the beated Tunesmith part fade out, I literally faded the MIDI grid part in on my nice big Tascam mixer.I then tweaked MidiGrid as it was playing ( you can change the note structure in real time)I went back and forth between the MIDI Grid and the Tunesmith parts. This created the main background in which i could improvise to.

Info on Tunesmith here:

http://tamw.atari-users.net/tunsmith.htm

Info on Midi grid here:( edit: you can read about my dream here as well..kinda interesting)

http://tamw.atari-users.net/grid.htm

You can run these using Steem on your PC. Using MidiOX, you can control your VST's with it.

http://tamw.atari-users.net/steem.htm

Put in M42 leads on MIDI Guitar ( the casio plastic thingy), and switched patches live(all in Receptor).This is from a new soundset I am creating and turned out rather well.

Added a Many Station Bass ..still love that Fender jazz bass played on my Midi Guitar! Then put in Pads and voices from Evalon.( BTW: EVE users should check out the new Evalon set..really fantastic!!Theres MP3 examples on the Dash Signature site.)

anyway..I think I'll start watching some more NASA TV. They just discovered/ or rather now they can measure the light coming from two planets outside our solar system.Rather cool!

TC

Nice stuff tim, liked the choral voice sounds especially, and of couse the ol'M42 i think I heard there!

Wow nice Tim. M42 Nebula? I must have missed this one.

Hey wait minute? There is a NASA TV station?

Beardedone wrote:Wow nice Tim. M42 Nebula? I must have missed this one.

Hey wait minute? There is a NASA TV station?
never heard of the Nebula? WOW !! and I did not even use any of the patches it is known for which is the Totem stuff ( like Klause Shultze) See my sig, and check out the MP3 examples on the product page. In this piece I only used it for leads.

and NASA TV comes on once in a while on the CNN station ( I think) i just turn on the TV, and I find it..or rather..DRAWN to it!!Probably the only good thing on during the daytime ( or elsewhere)

TC

Thanks Tim! I am sure it is very worth while. I better wait a while before I try another synth. I have already overloaded my little brain trying to understand those I already have. I think I blew a couple of ganglia struggling to make sense of Symptohm and QF. :oops: :roll: At least Fliterscape still makes some sense to me. 8)

Great Track again Tim!

Love this kinda stuff.

Do i have that lead patch from M42? And the Guitar you used in the Last one with the ManyStation Bass.... Not sure if i have those Guitar patches of yours?
Paul

manytone wrote:Great Track again Tim!

Love this kinda stuff.

Do i have that lead patch from M42? And the Guitar you used in the Last one with the ManyStation Bass.... Not sure if i have those patches?
Paul
well...its from a new soundset we are working on. We are deciding what to do with it:-)But love playing that Manystation Bass!

But there are similear leads using the WARP module for the distorted tone in the factory and extra banks.
But not the end lead..thats in the new sound set :-)

TC

Very nicely done Tim, has a fantastic production, very professional quality. Thanks for sharing. 8)

Tim .....you old school Atari head you.
Nice tune.
Wish someone could make a vst with some algo type thingy.....hint hint Tim/DR Ambient

Hey Tim why isnt Seq1 Plus listed on your site...that was my seq of choice when I used the Atari...
Simple and repetive are my middle names

elv wrote:Tim .....you old school Atari head you.
Nice tune.
Wish someone could make a vst with some algo type thingy.....hint hint Tim/DR Ambient

Hey Tim why isnt Seq1 Plus listed on your site...that was my seq of choice when I used the Atari...

well..we are working on it. As a matter of fact..its on the drawing board. But nothing comes close to Tunesmith these days. Jim Johnson actually contacted me once, and he was going to port it to PC. But he could not get the funding to it, so it fell thru. However you can still run the original on a PC via emulation. It's really not that hard although it looks like its from Mars:-)

RE: SEQ1: I could not get it released which is why it's not on my site.

TC

Return to “Music Cafe”