How do you like your Songs Reviewed?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

How do you like your Songs Reviewed?

Honestly
27%
Critically
17%
Generally
2%
Generally
2%
Combination of the above
27%
Any response is better than non
20%
Other
4%

Total votes: 89

RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is turning into one heck of a super thread – it does show the vast array of how people would like to see their music viewed and also how they review tracks of others (if at all) – it must be difficult for many though to decided how to put their views across and to what extent.

I think its unanimous that if you create music and take the time to post it – you are going to want to know it has at least been heard.

Now a new poster looking at how many times the thread has been viewed – must wonder why there can be not one response to their music (just how cruel is that?)

Even worse – if they can see how many times it has been downloaded – why is it that when someone takes the time to download a track they don’t at lest post – hey! That’s a petty cool track, or not my thing but like to listen to peoples music, this one made me shudder because of the violin, or smile because the melody – great mix for me, or a bit muddy due to the bass man.

So if you download a track – I assume it does get played – is that right?

Another reason for this thread – I wanted to understand the thinking that goes behind someone downloading – playing the song – then not letting the artist know they played it at least.

Some great tips in this thread – maybe more to follow – who knows some of you may start to give feedback on the tracks you have played – the more tips on how to do that – the better and easier it will be for you I would think.

Best regards,

Peter

I fancy a steak too now :lol:

Spe3D wrote:I fancy a steak too now :lol:
I sense a group buy in the near future. :wink:

I voted any repsone is better than non. :oops:
Simple and repetive are my middle names

well.... how I do it:

if I don't like the style or song in general I usually say nothing at all...

if I like the song I happily admit it...

and if there's something wrong or awkward I say it, too....

I find it usefull when people comment on mixing and stuff... and also when (like liqih did in the review of my song of this month contest: average melody) tell what they see as weakness....

so honesty is the most important part.... but everybody wants to be gebauchpinselt, too

cheers,
mully

I like any answer at all. I've had some negative stuff, some constructive, some supportive, some indifferent, some hostile. I love them all. I post here to share what I'm doing and to initiate discussion.

I think this applies in general to other people's threads. I'd rather see more heated discussion in the Cafe about someone's music than another angry thread about the general feeling that one faction hates the other.

I try to reply to as many threads as I can, and will often go out of my way to listen to a track that no one else has commented on, just because that's what this place is all about.

Stuff I like to see most:

- people saying what they like and what they didn't like in the track. "It sucks" or "it's cool" are sometimes all you can think of to say, but more detail is always better.

- people who post actually responding to posts in their threads, and trying to engage a discussion. If you didn't want to talk about it, why did you even post it?

On the flipside of this review discussion, there is also more room for improvement from the song posters themselves. If you as a poster are detailed in:

-what kind of specific feedback you are looking for (is the chorus too long? breakdown drums overcompressed?)
-give us some background. What inspired you to write this? How did you come up with the main hook? Did your sequencer mess up somehow, which left you with a syncopated pattern you'd never have thought of otherwise? Did mushrooms and saw God? Tell us!

I'm much more likely to listen and respond to songs where the poster makes things interesting!

(disclaimer:By saying all this, I'm by no means asserting that my song posts meet these standards! But maybe my next post to the cafe ;) )

I'm quite shocked that this topic has never been brought up b4. It's quite important as its what the cafe is based on.

But there is an option that you've missed, that a lot of people take it for granted that you post in order to get feedback. Whats wrong with just posting for other people to listen and to enjoy/not enjoy your music. It might well be the case that some people dont want thier music reviewed, and thats not nessaceraly a bad thing. If people just want to share thats great and they should do it all the more, even if 1 person listen's to a track you at least know they took the time to appreciate your post/music/effort spent on something you enjoy doing.

WoJ

floyd wrote:Did mushrooms and saw God? Tell us!
Likewise, if you saw God, and then did some mushrooms, let us know about that also!

:)
McLilith

wojdude wrote:But there is an option that you've missed, that a lot of people take it for granted that you post in order to get feedback.
I do believe that is the reason that most people post. They hope to get a few comments at least, if not an actual detailed critique and music production lesson.

If anyone doesn't want comments, or doesn't want a critique, they should mention it in their post. Otherwise, they will usually get the comments and critiques. So post all you want, but if you don't want a critique, please make it known.

take care,
McLilith

I just think theres a varied purpose why people post, i think people will either post to just "be noticed"/appricated by a few, its cool comments + then others post for detailed crtique. (imo of course, :D)

If i thought that my piece was good as it was, then i wouldnt realy like to get criticism, cuz i think people would waste thier time as i wouldnt take anything into consideration. But thats just the type of person i am, id get paranoid/upset if someone made a suggestion + then id look into it too closley and start questioning myself as to why people thought that or "is that bad?" etc etc, i'm a worrier thats all :D

WoJ

if someone said "here's my new track but I'm not interested in your comments" I probably wouldn't download it! (Even though I generally don't post looking for criticism) :shrug:
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

Jbravo wrote:if someone said "here's my new track but I'm not interested in your comments" I probably wouldn't download it!
In that case, the poster had the pleasure of posting and sharing with the world... You did him the courtesy of reading his post... He never receives a comment from you...

Everyone's happy! :D

What would be the problem? :shrug:

:hihi:
McLilith

I've posted stuff and noted that improvement suggestions would be a waste of time as the music wasn't going to change, and still got a fair few comments. But people can always make suggestions in those cases for the next time, give you something to add to your style.

No harm in posting to share only, just don't bother if you're going to post and then disappear despite follow up posts from others.

Engaging the listeners is like being a gracious host. If you're going to ignore your guests, you probably shouldn't have invited them over in the first place.

shamann wrote:

Engaging the listeners is like being a gracious host. If you're going to ignore your guests, you probably shouldn't have invited them over in the first place.

only last week manytone pointed out the reason i have so many posts is because i individually reply to each comment,even if its just to say thanks for listening.
if someone has taken the time to listen least i can do is say thanks 8)

and like shamann i very rarely rework tracks based on comments,not because i dont value the opinions on the contrary because i take them on board for future compositions :) 8)

To post a track is to invite comment - sometimes constructive, sometimes not but you take from it what is meaningful to you at that time and ignore the rest.

What i find interesting though is that a reviewer might come up with a completely different take on a track which wasn't conciously intended but which sparks a new direction or understanding.

Technical recommendations are also useful but gut reaction may be more of an indication of whether a tune works or not.

Return to “Music Cafe”