Collaborations

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm kind of new around here but I was wondering how may of you actually collaborate over the internet. I've wanted to collaborate for some time now but haven't done it yet. How do you send files? What is expected when u collaborate?
I'm looking for some general information on your experiences.
Thanks for listening,
Justin

Us over that the Project Five forum collaborate all the time. We send files over an ftp server. Works pretty well.

There's quite some ways for a sucessful collaboration.

- Sending complete project files to each other and having the other person add files, then send them back.
Problems to expect:
A) You'd need the same sequencer.
B) You'd need the same set of plugins.
C) Filsizes. Less of an issue when using something like Tracktion which is supporting OGG files natively.

- Sending audio files to each other.
Problems to expect:
A) Filesize. Could be reduced by either lossless compression formats (FLAC, monkey audio, RAR) or by using lossy formats (MP3, OGG).
B) Lining up files properly. No deal with lossless compression as the files would be sample accurate. So the only thing would be to know where to put them.
MP3 is really bad in that aspect, as deconverting will allways add a bit of silence in the beginning, thus messing with your timing. With MP3 you'd either need count ins (to help in lining up files) or very clear audio material.
Solution: OGG. Deconverting OGG files to wave/aiff won't add silence so the timing stays intact.

- Sending MIDI files to each other.
Problems to expect: Target person might not have the plugins/synths required to achieve a proper sound. Export of single track MIDI files is a cumbersome experience in some sequencers too.

In addition to this one might send some sampler patches required to achieve a certain sound. Or a plugin preset.

After all, IMO to get started OGG files are a great format. Compression is really good (for a lossy format) and filesizes usually are manageable. In case the collaboration becomes important one could still think about sending out losslessly compressed audio parts.
Additional MIDI files sometimes can come in handy too.

Oh, and something else might be required: Discipline! Preparing a file to send it to someone might take some effort, such as bouncing it properly (as hot as possible, in order not to lose bit depth), trimming it properly and supplying proper information about where to place the file (such as ""bass01.ogg" is supposed to start one bar before the first chorus").

After all, it's just a matter of getting used to.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Sascha,
wow, I didn't think of all of those things. There are alot of things to track of.

I am using fl studio and am using demo vsts and samples from CM magasine and other Internet sources. I only have dial-up so that's pretty slow but I can access high speed elsewhere everyday.

Anyone interested in collab?

I'll also check out Project five

Thanks to those who helped.
Thanks for listening,
Justin

Ization, you do not need the same plugins or sequencers to actually do a collaboration, you only need to be able to transfer your individual track wave/midi files, but the collaboration can definately get more low-level intergration if you do use the same everything..but it's not critical or even neccessary..

I think collaborations are more intresting when the same plugs, etc are NOT used, personally..

Is Project5 is cakewalk only?
Thanks for listening,
Justin

Also, if I'm not mistaken, your host has a built-in collaboration ability, called amaizingly enough, Collab..

:shock:

That makes alot of sense Saligia, it would alow the midi/wave to be more open to personnal interpretation and allow your fellow collaborator more freedom to go in their direction of inspiration.
I'll have to throw something out there.
I just have to figure out exactly how. Are there any sites or is there a place on this site where this can be done? Do I have to upload my "stuff" to a remote location?
Thanks for listening,
Justin

You can find a ready-made forum for collaborations at the Auditorium, a great new site for sharing music:

http://audioshots.com/auditorium/index.php

I'll check it out,
thanks
Thanks for listening,
Justin

The beauty of the Auditorium is you don't have to have your own webspace; The Auditorium hosts your audio files for free.

I agree with Sickle that sometimes it's just nice of NOT using the same programs and plugins.
But as said, this requires better preparation of shared material - unless you are going to completely freak out with the material anyways, in that case it might not matter.
But I had it happen more than once that I played some guitar tracks for people and my timing (which I consider to be part of my playing style) was completely messed up, due to a) the silence MP3 conversion is adding at the beginning and b) people being too lazy to properly cut/line-up my tracks (even if back then when I was using MP3s I allways added a count in plus some proper information about where to place things rhythmically).
OGG is quite a big step forward as it doesn't mess with the timing, plus it's supposedly giving a better sound at similar compression ratios too(let alone it's an open source format), the only downside being that very few hosts are reading (or importing) it natively. But then, dbpoweramp (best format converter ever) is so easy to handle, and it's free as well...

Oh yes, and I agree again, the Auditorium might be a great place to start collaborations, just a bit not so wellknown yet - but hopefully that's going to change.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

I've done a few collabs where one person takes the production lead and the other just works on a few tracks and sends them over. If you hook up with a person who has skills you don't and vice versa, it works well.

Return to “Music Cafe”